Article from insider on Dolphins status | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article from insider on Dolphins status

jmorgan6977

Puck the Fats
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins
If the Dolphins can improve their salary-cap situation, they should be major players in free agency and should be able to attract free agents to South Florida. Besides the weather and the city of Miami, second-year head coach Nick Saban is coming off a strong debut season and has many feeling he has Miami headed in the right direction. In addition, he has surrounded himself with a well-organized coaching staff and scouting department, so this organization will make sound decisions. Miami still has to find the cap room to sign players and will seek to clear space in two ways: cutting veterans who no longer make substantial contributions and restructuring several contracts.
clear.gif

Frerotte

Quarterback: Inconsistency continued to plague the Dolphins' quarterbacks in 2005. While Gus Frerotte flashed the ability to move the offense, he doesn't make good decisions when forced to get rid of the ball quickly and the 34-year-old certainly isn't the long-term answer. Backup Sage Rosenfels hasn't progressed as quickly as hoped and is an unrestricted free agent who will likely move elsewhere. Miami needs a starter who will take what the defense gives him and hit the open man, as that will effectively take some pressure of its ground game.
Cornerback: Veteran Sam Madison is coming off a subpar year and seems to have fallen out of favor with the coaching staff. The Dolphins are expected to trade or cut him. Travis Daniels is an adequate No. 2, but nickel back Reggie Howard is inconsistent and would likely struggle if asked to play an every-down role. Making matters worse is the fact that Will Poole is coming off a season-ending knee injury.
Outside linebacker: Junior Seau is 37 years old and may retire. Derrick Pope may move back to middle linebacker and Eddie Moore spent the last two months of the season on injured reserve. Reserves Donnie Spragan and Nick Rogers provide some depth, but they aren't starters. The Dolphins need a sound tackler with the ball skills and range to compete for a starting job.
clear.gif

Booker

Wide receiver: Marty Booker and Chris Chambers are solid starters, but there's virtually no depth here. Oft-injured David Boston isn't expected back, undersized Wes Welker gets pushed around too much and Bryan Gilmore makes his biggest impact on special teams. Miami needs a receiver who can replace Welker as the No. 3 and possibly push Booker for playing time.
Offensive tackle: Damion McIntosh ideally shouldn't be playing at left tackle, as he lacks the athletic ability to hold up in pass protection. Unfortunately, there isn't a player ready to push him for playing time, as backup Stockar McDougle is an unrestricted free agent not expected to re-sign. It's also worth noting that adding an athletic left offensive tackle would allow McIntosh to move inside to guard, effectively upgrading two positions. The Dolphins are significantly over the salary cap and have some tough decisions to make concerning key veterans. However, look for them to rework several contracts and clear as much as $10 million in cap space before the start of free agency. One interesting possibility for Miami is trading or cutting Frerotte, who has a big cap number. While he seems willing to renegotiate and there's a good chance he returns, Miami needs to upgrade the position so it's not going to overpay to retain him. In the event that Frerotte isn't brought back, the Dolphins could sign a fee agent or try to trade for a player like Tampa Bay's Chris Simms.

jmorgan6977 said:
Absolutely no love for Welker.....
That's because Welker isn't good enough to push for a #2 WR spot. He's a #3/#4, and that's that..

Blueprint said:
That's because Welker isn't good enough to push for a #2 WR spot. He's a #3/#4, and that's that..

I still love his potential for a game breaker

What I don't understand is I remember seeing something awhile back saying how the Dolphins were in great shape salary cap wise and could be like $20 million under the cap. Now its saying there not in that great of shape. What is the truth?

Could you imagine a 4 wide reciever set with chambers and owens short crossing pattern sucking the safetys in and booker on a deep post welker down the sideline wide open or some scrub who cant keep up....Priceless

Blueprint said:

He's good enough, he doesn't have the size.

Ryan1973 said:
What I don't understand is I remember seeing something awhile back saying how the Dolphins were in great shape salary cap wise and could be like $20 million under the cap. Now its saying there not in that great of shape. What is the truth?

Well it all depends on a number of things, 20 million under is far from automatic.
We have some dead weight that is chewing up cap space right now (Seau, Zgonina, McDougle etc). So we'll cut those guys.
We have a few high-priced people that will be asked to restructure or leave. I feel like Madison, Reggie Howard, McKinney, Travis Minor etc. fall into this category. Madison already said he won't, Howard doesn't seem likely. That's a ton of cap room right there.
Then there are guys who be asked to restructure for the good of the team. If they refuse, they'll still stay, but they probably won't finish in Miami. Guys like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas immediately spring to mind.
So if we make the proper moves, and half the players restructure, I would think we'd be 12-15 million under the cap. If everyone gets cut or substantially restructures, it's probably more like 20.

Welker is a solid contributor, and I can't even count how many times Gus either over threw him, or missed him completely. Solid on returns, and tough as nails on third down.

Reggie Howard would likely struggle? LMAO, he would flat out get killed.

Interesting how the "insider" is not so inside.

Blueprint said:

True as that is, Im having trouble remembering these times the writer is referring to where he "gets pushed around too much". Every situation Ive seen him in a game he's been willing to take a hit, willing to cross the middle of the field, and willing to do pretty much anything the coaching staff asked of him. I dont even remember seeing any jam coverage on him (Im going by memory on this one, so feel free to correct me if you can remmeber specific instances), so where does this argument even come from?

Back
Top Bottom