Article: Henne hyperbole out of hand? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Henne hyperbole out of hand?

bpackers13

Active Roster
Reaction score
Henne hyperbole out of hand?

By Tim Graham

I understand why the Miami Dolphins and their fans are geared up about Chad Henne.

[+] Enlarge Kim Klement/US PresswireDolphins' owner Stephen Ross has made some bold predictions about Chad Henne.

For nearly 30 years -- between Bob Griese and Dan Marino, with help from Earl Morrall and David Woodley -- the Dolphins could count on a franchise quarterback. They've been searching for another since Marino retired a decade ago.

Henne looks like he might be the guy to end the parade of Marino's successors. With the exception of 2001, another new quarterback has started a game for Miami each year. In four of those 10 seasons, at least two quarterbacks who'd never started for the Dolphins before were given the nod.

But Dolfans seem to be going a little too gaga over Henne.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross made headlines over the weekend with some bold declarations, saying he thinks the Dolphins will be in the Super Bowl this season and promoting Henne's potential to be the greatest quarterback to wear the aqua and orange.

"Chad has been the greatest quarterback the University of Michigan has had," said Ross, a Michigan alum himself, "and I'm sure that I'm hoping, as is everyone else, that he goes down as the greatest quarterback in Miami Dolphins history -- and you know what that will mean."

I do know what that will mean.

Depending on your preferred measurement of success, Henne would have to either:
A) rewrite the NFL record book to be considered better than Marino, or

B) win three Super Bowls to be considered better than Griese. And maybe go undefeated for a season in the process.
It's way too soon to be talking like this, no?

"Henne can handle the pressure,'' Ross added. "That I can tell you. He started at the University of Michigan as a true freshman and was playing in front of 110,000 people and led them to the Big Ten championship.

"I think the Miami Dolphins have a great quarterback for the future and I think everybody in South Florida is excited about what Chad Henne brings to this team."

Ross is correct when he says Henne is the "greatest quarterback the University of Michigan has had" -- based on career stats.

There was a guy named Tom Brady before him. Others to pass through the program include future Pro Bowlers Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac and Brian Griese. Pete Elliott, Benny Friedman and Harry Newman are Michigan quarterbacks in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Henne has a bright future ahead of him, but I don't know if Dolphins supporters are doing him -- or themselves -- any favors by ratcheting the expectations for a player with 13 starts, 12 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions in his career.

Big-play receiver Brandon Marshall certainly will help, but Henne still has a lot of growing to do before he should be compared with the best quarterbacks in Dolphins history.
Pretty good read on Henne!:hclap:

Did I miss something? I am in this room all the time and I havent heard anyone decide that Henne is the new Dan Marino! Sure there is a lot of optimisim but I havent seen Ga Ga yet. Maybe I'm wrong.

Whats even more interesting is all the "ga ga" over Sanchez. Henne had better numbers in 4 less starts. But, then again Henne isn't playing in NY where all QB's get daily BJ's.

Whats even more interesting is all the "ga ga" over Sanchez. Henne had better numbers in 4 less starts. But, then again Henne isn't playing in NY where all QB's get daily BJ's.

Wow! you guys never get us off your minds. This is about henne not Sanchez and Sanchez was criticized all last season up here.

So just because our owner is optimistic, it automatically means that we all think exactly the same as him. K, idiot. All of us know what Ross said was out of the park, but it's better than him downplaying Henne. If an owner isn't hyping his OWN TEAM that HE BOUGHT, then something is wrong.

I'm excited about getting to see him this upcoming season that's for sure.

I think him and Stafford with the Lions will end up being the class of this group of QB's, not Sanchez or Flacco.

nyjunc;1063464672[B said:
]Wow! you guys never get us off your minds[/B]. This is about henne not Sanchez and Sanchez was criticized all last season up here.

wow..talk about the kettle calling the pot black..coming from a guy that trolls a dolphins form morning, noon and night...seems like you can't get us out of your mind...hahahahahah

Wow! you guys never get us off your minds. This is about henne not Sanchez and Sanchez was criticized all last season up here.

So says a jets fan with 14,099 posts on a Dolphin fans website.

alg_ryan-1.jpg

And you never leave our boards........ so whos on whos minds?

This is our board and when I post at my Jets board i don't bring up Miami all the time. There are new Jets threads every day. This had nothing to do w/ sanchez but the whining about Sanchez started after a couple of posts.

he said hes hoping he goes down as the greatest Miami Dolphins QB ever... why is that bad? when is that comparing him to Marino or Greise? I hope he does become the best QB in the history of the NFL... then i hope whoever proceeds him is better than him, etc etc...

why is that bad to say he hopes that happens?

This is our board and when I post at my Jets board i don't bring up Miami all the time. There are new Jets threads every day. This had nothing to do w/ sanchez but the whining about Sanchez started after a couple of posts.

By ONE individual. And you perpetuated the issue by responding to his post.
BTW, most of us are excited about Henne's potential, but that is a far cry from going 'ga ga' over him. I also don't believe any reasonable person has compared him to Marino.

Back
Top Bottom