Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB?

Interesting.

I always find the "carry teams on their back" to be an interesting topic.

For instance, between Tua/Lamar Jackson/ Josh Allen and Mahomes..
Which QB needed to score more then 30 points to win a game and was successful the last 2 seasons

The answer might surprise you.

Being clutch and putting the team on their backs are 2 diferrent things.

A defense holding the opposing teams to under 20 points and the QB leading a game winning drive is not putting team on their backs IMO

A defense giving up 30+ and not being able to stop a team, and the QB still manages to lead the team to victory? That's putting the team on their backs.

I'll give you a hint.... Tua was more successful, or had to win more games in that scenario.
My post of the year nominee! Very well articulated GRYPHONK

Talent. What you see.

Those two points are not the same thing. What you see doesn't matter because it is subjective. Stats for a starting QB not only playing during garbage time are not subjective.
The stats tell the whole picture. If what you see told the whole story then Tim Tebow would've taken the NFL by storm, Herbert would have a winning record and Aaron Rodgers would have 6 rings.

This thread is about Tua. He needs to learn how to win a big game and not shrink or choke. Elite QB's carry teams on their back. We need to see him do that. Right now Top 5 is but a pipe dream.

This is such a tired regurgitated statement. There isn't aQB in this league that carries a team on their back. That would mean they have nothing but scrubs playing around them and they still drive the field to score. Go ahead, name one.
A generational TE, hall of fame coach, stout D and dual threat RB helped carry the chiefs. Mahomes absolutely didn't put that team on his back and carry them, he helped carry them.

Tua isn’t top 5, just outside imo, but he’s plenty good enough to win with.

Look at the question this way. Do I think there’s 5 other QBs that McD would swap to tomorrow, zero salary/trade implications, to win a SB in 2024? Absolutely.

Regardless of where you rank Tua, he is not in the bottom half....where pretty much every QB we've had since Marino (until now) has ranked. It's very easy to make the argument Tua is top 10, just outside the top 5. I'm perfectly fine with that, and I do believe we can win a SB with Tua.

Look at the question this way. Do I think there’s 5 other QBs that McD would swap to tomorrow, zero salary/trade implications, to win a SB in 2024? Absolutely.

Doubtful. Tua is almost the prototype to run his offense atleast at the current state. Could he build another offense, maybe no guarantee it’s as effective though. It’s also the perfect system for waddle and Hill and why Hills numbers are better with Tua than with Mahomes despite similar targets and Tua being not nearly as good as Mahomes. You’re talking about not only a complete system overhaul but personal as you need a much better oline if you’re not running a quick passing scheme and more traditional offense. Only ones that would be an upgrade that possess the ability to get the ball out quick with accuracy and anticipation is Mahomes and Burrow. Rodgers would also fit but who knows how good he is after what looked like a decline in 2022 then injured in 2023.

And of those top 10 or so teams, most of them have much better OL's than we have. Maybe San Fran and Minnesota would qualify as only average, which I wouldn't even say we are at this point.
IF and that`s a big if our OL was average , the only reason it would have been was because of Tua and his quick release and accuracy .

Objective thinking isn’t the issue. The issue is your lack of any thinking at all and complete lack of understanding of the game.

You’re pinning wins on one player in the ultimate team sport where all 53 and coaching matters. Then when given factual data on how other “elite” qbs have far more help from their team and how it’s a team game, you throw a fit.

if you want to argue he could of played better sure yeah he could of however blaming it all on one player is wild.
Here’s about 400 yards 4+ tds and 6 atleast fgs dropped by tyreek alone in said “big games/good teams” and there were plenty of other miscues by other players. Like I said team game.

THis is a perfect post.

I have been saying for a while the diferrence between clutch and not clutch is MVS catches that pass in thr SB, as opposed to Hill dropping a perfectly thrown pass.

QBS will struggle against better teams. But it's that 1 maybe 2 drives or throws they make that's the diferrence.

KC/Philly and Bills
This video shows perfectly that Tua, in fact, did make clutch throws. They were just dropped. Not just 1 play, but multiple.

Each game was a critical game against a playoff team

They are elite playoff teams for a reason. You're not going to be able to make throw after throw, play after play against them.

This video perfectly shows the diferrence between Tua being "unable to win the big game" and being considered clutch. It simply came down to his WR dropping a perfectly thrown ball.

If the WR simply does his job, very few IF ANYONE would be worried about Tua getting his big extension.

Yes, Mahomes and everyone else. Agree there. But Lil friggin Joshy, who I hate, is Tua's Daddy. Look at the head-to-head, its embarrassing. While Im certainly not a Lamaar fan either, he is much more physically gifted than Tua and can do things on the field that Tua can only dream about.
And Tua can throw the ball in ways that Lamar can only dream about. I will take the better passer over the better runner we have Achane, Mostert etc for that. Yea i would like Tua to take the easy runs when presented with them, but the other 90% of the time he is throwing or threatening to throw.

Which 5?

Back
Top Bottom