Article on Beck | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Beck

Perfect, thank you...and typical of his positive attitude and empirical approach to the learning process. Beck's got an uphill battle but possesses the intelligence, skillz and inner-fortitude to overcome last year and his naysayers to become another Drew Brees. So long as it's a true, fair and legitimate "blank page," if he doesn't rise to the occasion (which I'm fairly confident he WILL), it's on him and I've got no problem with the team moving on to another QB.

No use in sugar coating this anymore. Beck must improve significantly in year two, or he's likely a goner come 2009. It's that simple in my opinion....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Perfect, thank you...and typical of his positive attitude and empirical approach to the learning process. Beck's got an uphill battle but possesses the intelligence, skillz and inner-fortitude to overcome last year and his naysayers to become another Drew Brees. So long as it's a true, fair and legitimate "blank page," if he doesn't rise to the occasion (which I'm fairly confident he WILL), it's on him and I've got no problem with the team moving on to another QB.

And if you as a fan really care about whats best for this team there is no other approach. I think the biggest difference in those that want Beck to start and those that don't is that those that do, care whats best for the "TEAM" and those that don't are simply looking for what's best for themselves. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see when Beck talks, he clearly has the ability to project confidence, desire and passion for the game.

At the very least a player like that deserves more then just one shot at the brass ring. If Miami is better at every aspect on offense and Beck still has the same type of performance, then by all means move on. But to determine Beck is a failure purely based on what we saw from him from week 10 on last year, would not only be a huge mistake but a stupid one too. I look forward to seeing him get a fresh start.

I think most of us fans know when we see a guy that has potential and ones that don't. We have seen the best of the best (Marino) to the worst of the worst (Ray Lucas) I could place several in Ray's place. The point being, when you see Beck he has the tools, he has the smarts he deserves the chance in a good situation to prove what he can do. The part I can't understand when it comes to Beck detractors is how they can honestly look at the situation Beck stepped into last year and figured anyone else would have stepped in and had success, but Beck was a failure, therefore Beck is done. Ridiculous.

I think the biggest difference in those that want Beck to start and those that don't is that those that do, care whats best for the "TEAM" and those that don't are simply looking for what's best for themselves.

So just because a fan chooses not to support Beck, means that he / she doesn't care about what's best for the team??....

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see when Beck talks, he clearly has the ability to project confidence, desire and passion for the game.

I would certainly hope so considering we used a 2nd round pick on him....

But to determine Beck is a failure purely based on what we saw from him from week 10 on last year, would not only be a huge mistake but a stupid one too. I look forward to seeing him get a fresh start.

Sorry to say it, but determining Beck a failure at this stage would be completely accurate. He's done nothing to prove otherwise, and until he does, he's going to continue to be considered a failure. Sounds cruel, but that's the reality of the situation Beck faces....

I also look forward to seeing Beck get a fresh start under a new regime, but at the same time I'll have to see a lot more positive aspects in his game before considering him as our starting QB heading into the future. Just my personal take....

I think most of us fans know when we see a guy that has potential and ones that don't.

If it was only that simple, I'd be working next to Mayock / Kiper on draft day....

We have seen the best of the best (Marino) to the worst of the worst (Ray Lucas) I could place several in Ray's place. The point being, when you see Beck he has the tools, he has the smarts he deserves the chance in a good situation to prove what he can do.

Beck may have the smarts, but I'm not so certain that he has the physical tools needed in order to be a successful QB at this level. He's not the most physically gifted QB I've ever had the pleasure of shaking hands with, and he's quite small compared to most for that matter. Let's just cross our fingers, and hope that all of his recent off-season workouts pay off come September...

The part I can't understand when it comes to Beck detractors is how they can honestly look at the situation Beck stepped into last year and figured anyone else would have stepped in and had success, but Beck was a failure, therefore Beck is done. Ridiculous.

I think this is a make or break year for Beck. If he can't win over the starting job at some point during training camp, and struggles to separate himself from McCown / Henne, I think his days in Miami will be numbered as we head into the future. I guess time will tell all....

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!!!

considering the team we had last year,i don't care if we'd had either Manning brother behind center,or Tom Brady,or Brett Favre back there,none of them would've done good,they would've gotten killed also. all last year was for Beck IMO,was some NFL game time learning experiences. as i've stated before,i'm very interested to see what John Beck will do this upcoming season behind a hopefully much improved O-Line and with an improved team.

considering the team we had last year,i don't care if we'd had either Manning brother behind center,or Tom Brady,or Brett Favre back there,none of them would've done good,they would've gotten killed also. all last year was for Beck IMO,was some NFL game time learning experiences. as i've stated before,i'm very interested to see what John Beck will do this upcoming season behind a hopefully much improved O-Line and with an improved team.

I believe you will see that vastly improved Beck, but I am still skeptical, given the past history, that he will get that fresh clean slate. Ireland & Sporano are from the Parcells tree, and Parcells tends to favor his own men, not those left from another regime.

I'm afraid what will happen is Beck becomes a decent NFL QB, but just not in a Miami uniform. :unsure:

And if you as a fan really care about whats best for this team there is no other approach. I think the biggest difference in those that want Beck to start and those that don't is that those that do, care whats best for the "TEAM" and those that don't are simply looking for what's best for themselves. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see when Beck talks, he clearly has the ability to project confidence, desire and passion for the game.

At the very least a player like that deserves more then just one shot at the brass ring. If Miami is better at every aspect on offense and Beck still has the same type of performance, then by all means move on. But to determine Beck is a failure purely based on what we saw from him from week 10 on last year, would not only be a huge mistake but a stupid one too. I look forward to seeing him get a fresh start.

I think most of us fans know when we see a guy that has potential and ones that don't. We have seen the best of the best (Marino) to the worst of the worst (Ray Lucas) I could place several in Ray's place. The point being, when you see Beck he has the tools, he has the smarts he deserves the chance in a good situation to prove what he can do. The part I can't understand when it comes to Beck detractors is how they can honestly look at the situation Beck stepped into last year and figured anyone else would have stepped in and had success, but Beck was a failure, therefore Beck is done. Ridiculous.

Just another in your if you dont like Beck you are less of a dolphin fan than me barrage. I personally have never wavered from my opinion of Beck and except for his fumbling dont hold much of last year against him.
That amount of fumbles in so few games is a troubling sign for anybody.
Of course you go into your tirade about how Beck fans see things as opposed to how non beck fans see things. I personally am a dolphin fan, not a Henne fan or a Beck fan. I have Henne is my sig because I feel he is the future of the franchise at our most neglected position. I personally would rather have MAtt Ryan or Brady Quinn at qb than Henne but I do like the potential I see in him over the potential I see in Beck. I hope we all understand that Beck was a rookie last year and if I see good things I will gladly accept them I just refuse like some to get excited because he had a 4 to 1 td to int ration in a lesser conference. How many starting cornerbacks have come out of the MWC? I personally never liked the pick and would have preferred Trent Edwards at our pick, that does not mean I dont think he can be a decent qb. I have said over and over I think he will be a good NFL backup in this league.

We can argue all day that no qb would have done better, who the hell knows. Trent Edwards got thrown to the wolves week 3 when Losman went down, its not like they were preparing him to be the starter at that point and the Bills are far from a stellar offensive team. With the exception of Ronnie Brown early in year and Samson satale I saw nothing at all to get excited about on offense last year. I dont think we owe any of these qb's anything, lets put them all in the mix and play the qb that we feel is best. I did not hear all this support for AJ Feeley when he played with no semblance of a running game and the worst oline we ever put on the field.
Feeley was basically the same age and actually showed improvement late in the year and seems to play qb fairly solid everywhere else. Rosenfels was never given half the shot that Beck has had but of course his supporters were not as loud. I just want a good qb and not one of our three has proven jack yet. I think MccOwn may actually be our starter this year anyway. I dont think this will be decided until we get into preseason, but like I said not one of these players deserve anything they need to earn it. So blast away I dont really care, Im not blinded by anyone's rookie season or stats in a minor conference.

So just because a fan chooses not to support Beck, means that he / she doesn't care about what's best for the team??....

I would certainly hope so considering we used a 2nd round pick on him....

Sorry to say it, but determining Beck a failure at this stage would be completely accurate. He's done nothing to prove otherwise, and until he does, he's going to continue to be considered a failure. Sounds cruel, but that's the reality of the situation Beck faces....

I also look forward to seeing Beck get a fresh start under a new regime, but at the same time I'll have to see a lot more positive aspects in his game before considering him as our starting QB heading into the future. Just my personal take....

If it was only that simple, I'd be working next to Mayock / Kiper on draft day....

Beck may have the smarts, but I'm not so certain that he has the physical tools needed in order to be a successful QB at this level. He's not the most physically gifted QB I've ever had the pleasure of shaking hands with, and he's quite small compared to most for that matter. Let's just cross our fingers, and hope that all of his recent off-season workouts pay off come September...

I think this is a make or break year for Beck. If he can't win over the starting job at some point during training camp, and struggles to separate himself from McCown / Henne, I think his days in Miami will be numbered as we head into the future. I guess time will tell all....

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!!!

Nice retorte

I think the point of all of this is you can't say one way or another if he's any good or not. To come out and blast Beck on the basis of 4 games played on an awful team is stupid, but to think he is the savior of this team at this point is just as stupid. I want whomever plays the best out of the 3 we have in camp to be the guy. And I hope whoever it is leads this team for a long time. I am tired of this QB carousel.

Stupid paragraph, and one where if followed in previous situations involving HOF QB's such as Elway and Aikman would not be HOF QB's today.

Well if you can't see a difference in Tom Brady and Ryan Leaf you should choose a new hobby. I'm not calling Beck, Brady. But you can see obvious differences between Beck and Feeley. I can anyways.

Pretty obvious statement. I think both Beck supporters and detractors understand this. It's how it should be.

I believe in John Beck, but if you don't, I don't think that makes anyone less loyal as a Dolphin fan. The people that don't want to see Beck start, in all likelihood, just believe very strongly that he's not the best quarterback on the team, will never be a good starting quarterback, and that any starts he makes in place of X (whether it be Henne or McCown) will just be a wasted opportunity to field a better team for the present and potentially the future.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly, but to suggest that a person is less of a Dolphins fan for believing that is pretty short-sighted and self-centered. I say self-centered because you could easily turn the argument around and say that the ones who do not want to see Chad Henne start are people that do not support the Dolphins, they merely support themselves, and that anyone can see that Henne is a talented, hard-working, sincere individual yadda yadda yadda.

One thing you should expect from Beck in year #2.

His 'confidence' should skyrocket. In his rookie year, he came in and was starry eyed of just 'being in the NFL'.

It wasn't "his" team. There was a QB brought in (Green) specifically to start for one or two years, and an incumbant (Lemon) who had played in the head coaches system for some years, and had been a Dolphin already.

It wasn't "Becks team".

This year, the 2008 version of John Beck, you will see his confidence skyrocket. (evidence of him showing McCown and Henne proper alignments and sets already).

The coaches that brought him in are gone. The QB's ahead of him are gone. Beck is the only Dolphin QB who survived last year, and he remains, the only standing true Dolphin QB. It is as much "Becks team" this year as anyones. More so than McCown or Henne.

Just that fact alone, along with the moves that the front office has made to protect the QB this year, will help give Beck some confidence that you did not see from last year.

Year #2 you will see Beck grow by leaps and bounds.

Just another in your if you dont like Beck you are less of a dolphin fan than me barrage. I personally have never wavered from my opinion of Beck and except for his fumbling dont hold much of last year against him.
That amount of fumbles in so few games is a troubling sign for anybody.
Of course you go into your tirade about how Beck fans see things as opposed to how non beck fans see things. I personally am a dolphin fan, not a Henne fan or a Beck fan. I have Henne is my sig because I feel he is the future of the franchise at our most neglected position. I personally would rather have MAtt Ryan or Brady Quinn at qb than Henne but I do like the potential I see in him over the potential I see in Beck. I hope we all understand that Beck was a rookie last year and if I see good things I will gladly accept them I just refuse like some to get excited because he had a 4 to 1 td to int ration in a lesser conference. How many starting cornerbacks have come out of the MWC? I personally never liked the pick and would have preferred Trent Edwards at our pick, that does not mean I dont think he can be a decent qb. I have said over and over I think he will be a good NFL backup in this league.

We can argue all day that no qb would have done better, who the hell knows. Trent Edwards got thrown to the wolves week 3 when Losman went down, its not like they were preparing him to be the starter at that point and the Bills are far from a stellar offensive team. With the exception of Ronnie Brown early in year and Samson satale I saw nothing at all to get excited about on offense last year. I dont think we owe any of these qb's anything, lets put them all in the mix and play the qb that we feel is best. I did not hear all this support for AJ Feeley when he played with no semblance of a running game and the worst oline we ever put on the field.
Feeley was basically the same age and actually showed improvement late in the year and seems to play qb fairly solid everywhere else. Rosenfels was never given half the shot that Beck has had but of course his supporters were not as loud. I just want a good qb and not one of our three has proven jack yet. I think MccOwn may actually be our starter this year anyway. I dont think this will be decided until we get into preseason, but like I said not one of these players deserve anything they need to earn it. So blast away I dont really care, Im not blinded by anyone's rookie season or stats in a minor conference.

Blah, Blah, Blah...you know the difference in your opinion and mine? I'm reasonable about last year and you're not. Your conclusion of John Becks performance was hardly based on best case, I guess in your opinion it's either worst case or nothing at all to determine a rookies worth. Gosh all the rookies that had awful first years, be it QB's or WR's or RB's...whatever, had they been given just one chance (as you think that's all John desereves) imagine the huge number of really great football players that would never have been.

Your view of Beck in 07 is personal in every way, mine isn't. I don't care if Beck falls flat on his face and never makes it, I'll be disappointed, but I'll hardly lose sleep over it. But I sure as heck want to see him get more then one chance with a horribly coached team loaded with injuries, as I do with every player we sign. I guarantee if Henne were to take the field and stink up the joint you'd be far morte forgiving.

In the end what us fans think is rather irrelevant. The coaches make the choices and Beck is still a Dolphin and will be given every chance to make up for last year, obviously the guy's that get paid to make football decision seem to agrree that Beck didn't exactly step into a good situation and Johns obviously said and done the right things since that time so they've decided he should get a second chance. Otherwise, I promise you Beck wouldn't still be a Dolphin. Thank god for people who don't use bias to make decisions. Rather they use their common sense.

Back
Top Bottom