Article on "Flex Scheduling" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on "Flex Scheduling"

BennyVW

I'm the Man in the Box
Reaction score
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051211/SPORTS0101/512110338

Next year, beginning in Week 11, NBC can ask the league to take a previously scheduled Sunday afternoon game and switch it to prime time. In return, NBC might have to give a replacement game back to Fox or CBS.

The NFL, however, will have the final say.

"I think it's a brilliant move for the NFL and NBC," said Michael Bernacchi, a University of Detroit Mercy professor of marketing. "This will help them succeed and make their game a premier marketing opportunity. It really puts them in front of the field."

Rules will be built in to allow Fox and CBS to protect certain marquee games for their Sunday afternoon viewers.

But they can't protect every big game.

"There is no set plan yet; there are a lot of different scenarios that could happen," said Lou D'Ermilio, senior vice president of media relations for Fox Sports. "The bottom line is, the Sunday afternoon broadcasters will lobby to keep the best games they can. And we expect the league is going to do what they can to be fair to all broadcast partners."

CBS, NBC and ESPN declined to comment on flex scheduling, deferring to the NFL. ESPN will not figure into flex scheduling with the Monday night game.

There is a whole lot more in the article...

I think this is really a good thing. Last weeks Lions-packers game was not worthy of national attention. If we had flex scheduling this year we would have at least 1, if not two national televised games. And Bad teams that suck will no longer hog all the airtime.

I agree about moving the bad games from prime-time. They should never be the only game telecast to a national audience.

And whoever is responsible for the Houston Texans being on ESPN like three times this year should be fired! :)

I guess they were 7-9 last year and the programmers must have thought that Caper's team would make it's move this year. Hahahaha!

[QUOTE='Phins & 'Canes]I agree about moving the bad games from prime-time. They should never be the only game telecast to a national audience.

And whoever is responsible for the Houston Texans being on ESPN like three times this year should be fired! :)

I guess they were 7-9 last year and the programmers must have thought that Caper's team would make it's move this year. Hahahaha![/QUOTE]

Cause the colts, Jags, And titans would all suck this year....

how does it screw up the fans and team?

worst case scenario is a game starting 8 hours later.

im sure the decision will not be made on game day (it really cant)

they will probably introduce a new schedule on the 11th week for the rest of the year.

I think they should have to decide a certain time period in advance. I would be p'oed if a game I was going to on a sunday was switched to Monday night and I couldn't go after buying ticks in advance, a realistic complaint if you live 200 miles from your favorite team.

Scheduling Changes Are Made 12 Days In Advance At The Minimum...

And the monday night games are not included in this. This is mainly for the sunday night game, which will now be the feature game of the week...

hdjetta6316 said:
Scheduling Changes Are Made 12 Days In Advance At The Minimum...

And the monday night games are not included in this. This is mainly for the sunday night game, which will now be the feature game of the week...

Yeah I just realized this after my post. But still, a Sunday night game would be extremely difficult for me to attend during work or school. It's not that I have a problem with flex scheduling, I think its fantastic and perhaps it will mean less Eagles or GB games, but I'm concerned that if all the issues aren't worked out, it may actually end up being a bad thing for the NFL. Bad prime time matchups would happen less if they were more varied in who they picked. Instead the Eagles or Packers are on one of the prime time games every week and I don't even watch anymore. Why haven't teams like the Jaguars gotten them?

If the Dolphins are good and get moved, it might piss me off. When I go down to Miami for Sunday afternoon games and fly back Sunday night, I normally buy my tickets and plane tickets at the beginning of the season. When the game is moved to 7 hours later, suddenly I am missing my flight back from FLL, and I most likely have to pay extra to change the flight to Monday and possibly miss work. So I think flex scheduling sucks, unless it applies to me coming into my job at whatever time I want.

phinMikeDC said:
If the Dolphins are good and get moved, it might piss me off. When I go down to Miami for Sunday afternoon games and fly back Sunday night, I normally buy my tickets and plane tickets at the beginning of the season. When the game is moved to 7 hours later, suddenly I am missing my flight back from FLL, and I most likely have to pay extra to change the flight to Monday and possibly miss work. So I think flex scheduling sucks, unless it applies to me coming into my job at whatever time I want.

Exactly, flex scheduling might hurt ticket sales, and a better option might be to not be so stupid when picking games.

phinMikeDC said:

So for games after week 11 just plan on flying back on Monday. It's not that difficult.

the amount of revenu generated via the networks im sorry to say greatly outwieghs the NFL's concerns with ticket sales... im sure this will affect things but it wont be very noticeable. People always find a way..

Back
Top Bottom