Article on How Spielman chose Feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on How Spielman chose Feeley

MARLINSFAN305

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Link

Talks about the how the Fins studied QB's buried as backups (Brady, etc) - studying all sorts of info.

Also has favorable comments on the Feeley from several NFL sources.

Real good article.

The Dolphins ranked all available quarterbacks such as Feeley, Billy Volek and Bulger and stacked them up against their own quarterbacks -- Fiedler, Sage Rosenfels and Brian Griese -- and factored in what they saw on tapes.

The Dolphins spent 10 to 12 hours watching tapes of potentially available quarterbacks and concluded that more than anything, they like Feeley's accuracy and arm strength. The Dolphins concluded that Feeley, 26, can get the ball downfield, was well-coached in passing systems by Andy Reid in Philadelphia and Mike Bellotti in Oregon and was the player they would quickly target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article! The reasoning behind selecting Feeley is much more convincing than all the posters who read his stats and are screaming that he sucks.

Hey... thats a great article about Speilman and I totally applaud his methods.. spending as much time as they did, watching films, putting all the data together is brilliant... I hope it works..

Its just too bad they didnt do the same for Right Tackles... $25mill +$10Mill what a waste..........

Thanks for the links!

What really stood out, also, was:

"If you sit back and wait, I think more than likely, you're going to be shut out," Spielman said.

I think the move was a smart one. They obviously did their research, and it looks like... maybe, just maybe... Spielman and Co. know just a little bit more about Feeley than we do.

This is a move I'm happy with. Now, let's shore up our offensive line and grab a stud WR.

Originally posted by Jeep
Hey... thats a great article about Speilman and I totally applaud his methods.. spending as much time as they did, watching films, putting all the data together is brilliant... I hope it works..

Its just too bad they didnt do the same for Right Tackles... $25mill +$10Mill what a waste..........

First off, they have yet to sign Wade to that contract.

Sencond, they will do their research. Unfortunally the market is thin for right tackles. John Tait isn't going anywhere. Due to the fact that he is young and a servicable right tackle, he is going to get that money. If not from the Dolphins, then from someone else.

That article makes me feel a little better about the deal with Feeley.

If Rick was sold on this guy why where we persuing Brunnel?

I hope Feeley is just place holders for Rivers :) and Brunnel would have been the same.

No matter who is back there we need O-Line. So maybe Feeley will give some of his signing bonus to a Free Agent O-Line to come to Miami. It may the best move he could ever make.

forget rivers, draft a wr and o-line with your 2 1st's(assuming ogun is gone). if A.J. doesnt prove himself then draft a qb next year. I think you'll be suprised by him though, and pleasantly.

Originally posted by deadpoolX
forget rivers, draft a wr and o-line with your 2 1st's(assuming ogun is gone). if A.J. doesnt prove himself then draft a qb next year. I think you'll be suprised by him though, and pleasantly.

You may be right deadpoolX. We desprately need O-line and we are a little needy for WR.

I have watched Rivers rip apart the ACC for 4 years. So I am baised and he tends to remind me of Marino with his quick release and Favre by being able to throw from all kinds of crazy angles, but I am baised for him. I dont see him dropping to us but who knows.

Feeley is probalby better the Feidler and probably at a cheaper price overall.

Why does Rick Spielman insist on lying?

He DID NOT Target AJ Feeley off the bat..............

He just didn't.......he was their fall-back guy....and they did fall back......

They wanted Brunell, then they wanted Henson, then they explored getting Ramsey......Then they said: "We better move or we'll get shut out."

In other words..............Fiedler really, really, really, really SUCKS.

What do you expect him to say??

"Yeah, we went after a bunch of other guys, but we couldn't get any of them. So we picked this guy to save our azz from being completely shut out. BTW - welcome A.J. We really believe in you.".

C'mon man. You know that's not a smart way to operate. Nobody in their right mind says things like that.....in ANY line of work.

Anyway, great article. Good stuff. :up:

Originally posted by Section126
Why does Rick Spielman insist on lying?

He DID NOT Target AJ Feeley off the bat..............

He just didn't.......he was their fall-back guy....and they did fall back......

They wanted Brunell, then they wanted Henson, then they explored getting Ramsey......Then they said: "We better move or we'll get shut out."

In other words..............Fiedler really, really, really, really SUCKS.

I read at least a month or two ago that Feeley was a possibility. You try your best not to show your cards to the rest of the league. Why do you think it is a lie? If you go through the Sun archives, I GUARANTEE you will find Feeley mentioned as a possible QB here at least a month ago.
1. Brunell was too much $$$ + a draft pick this year
2. Henson is too far away from starting (Feeley makes more sense)
3. Ramsey is not, nor was he ever available. Gibbs has said Ramsey is not up for a trade.
4. Rivers would be an awesome choice, but will he still be around at #20??

We had NO choice but to make a move and Feeley was our best option. Give him a chance, he might surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom