Article on Mularkey's Balanced Playcalling | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Mularkey's Balanced Playcalling

TXFinFan

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins were pretty fortunate to get Mike Mularkey as the offensive coordinator after the departure of Scott Linehan. Mularkey fits the bill of what Dolphins coach Nick Saban wanted in an offensive coordinator perhaps even better than Linehan because Mularkey is a much bigger believer in a balanced offense.

In Buffalo, Mularkey passed 53 percent of the time in two years. Prior to that in Pittsburgh, he was at 50-50 in his first two years until the running game came apart because of injury in 2003. Still, Mularkey made due with quarterback Tommy Maddox that year.

As for Linehan, Saban loved the big-play potential that Linehan brought (the Dolphins had 59 plays of 20 yards or longer this season, including 43 by pass), but had to grit his teeth at times when Linehan preferred to throw in tight losses at home to Atlanta and New England.

From what I read before, Saban wanted Mularkey real bad....So that would support that theory.

If Saban is high on him..then so am I.:dolphins: :dolphins:

Liehan was a welcome change and now we're back to wanny ball...

minus said:
Liehan was a welcome change and now we're back to wanny ball...
Kindly refrain from referencing that dark, dark time in the past.
:fire:

TXFinFan said:
Mularkey is a much bigger believer in a balanced offense.
Personally, I think "balanced" is overrated. There's nothing wrong with it per se, I just don't think one should use an arbitrary percentage of runs to passes as a means to grade how good an offense is.

TXFinFan said:
Saban... had to grit his teeth at times when Linehan preferred to throw in tight losses at home to Atlanta and New England.

First I heard of this. Personally, I thought Linehan did a fairly good job, especially once he got out of the box and on the sidelines, but I suppose compared to what we had under "he who shall not be named", anything would have looked good.

Back
Top Bottom