Article on new UDFA DT Matt ***a | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on new UDFA DT Matt ***a

MrClean

The one and only
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This is from early in the season, but it tells about ***a being about 380 lbs last year and going thru a rigorous workout regimine to slim down to only 317 lbs on his 6'2" frame. Many of the Hawaiian and Samoan linemen are stronger than oxes, and it sounds like ***a is a late bloomer who really came on as a senior. Hopefully he can compete for a job playing the 1 technique tackle.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/09/03/sports/story2.html

I really like this signing and hope he pans out. His strength numbers are amazing and if he bust his *** to loose that much weight he has the right attitude to make this team. The attitude of the new guys either drafted or signed as UFA is going to breath new life into this team. Add to the the change in coaching staff to teachers rather than guys in over their head and we could be something special in a couple of years.

good luck to him... but we are stacked on the Dline. If he makes the roster he would definitely have had to earn it.

As much as I like him and want him to stay here, I think the only way he MIGHT stay is through Practice Squad. Other than that, we have too much at DT already, Tim Bowens, Larry Chester, Jeff Zgonina, Dario Romero, Kevin Vickerson.

he could go and beat out romero, not that romero has ever impressed me since he has been here

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Timbo or Chester out for the season within the first few games (although I'd hate for it to happen). It'd be good to keep him around for emergency.

Zgonina will likely not be around this year

I expect him to be traded or released. The DL positions are more open than most would think. Guys, this is an election year. There are very few secure positions.

Lee2000

I've got a feeling Zgonina and Romero may not be around for the coming season. Either way the guy will really have to earn his spot on the DL. He have some versatile guys on that line who can play DE or DT

I really think that Timbo's back problems will keep him out of football!So bring on all the big boy's we can!

Lee2000 said:
I expect him to be traded or released. The DL positions are more open than most would think. Guys, this is an election year. There are very few secure positions.

Lee2000

Agreed. I wouldnt be surpriused to see any of our top 5 guys get cut - especially Zgonina and Romero. As for Chester and Bowens, if they cant prove that they are healthy, they may not make the team either.

My guess is Chester will be ok, since his is a typical knee injury that 95% of guys come back from and play ok. TimBo is a much bigger question mark. We really cannot count on how he will respond.
I also think Zgonina will fit better in Saban's scheme than he did in the previous one, though we have heard the rumours he was offered in trade pre draft. Romero is nothing more than an ok backup and easily replaceable IMO.
***a has the body type and strength to be potentially very good as a pure nose tackle in odd man fronts. Playing what has been mentioned here before as the 1 technique. The type of guy we were looking for when talking about Hawthorne, Fields and Bryant before the draft.
The other young DTs, Vickerson and Thompson appear better suited playing 3 technique.

FinzManiac said:
I've got a feeling Zgonina and Romero may not be around for the coming season. Either way the guy will really have to earn his spot on the DL. He have some versatile guys on that line who can play DE or DT

it's open season for alot of our vets - hopefully we'll be able to get a few picks for some of these guys as opposed to just cutting them loose

What's wrong with DT D. Romero??? I take it not many fans here see anything in him from reading these responses....

This is a guy who has been busting his hump, and moving up the depth chart in training camp every year. I like him, and his work ethic. He should at least be here as a depth player in 2005. This could be a year he really improves too....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

IAFINFAN said:
I really like this signing and hope he pans out. His strength numbers are amazing and if he bust his *** to loose that much weight he has the right attitude to make this team. The attitude of the new guys either drafted or signed as UFA is going to breath new life into this team. Add to the the change in coaching staff to teachers rather than guys in over their head and we could be something special in a couple of years.

I don't know if he'll bust his ***, but I know there are a lot of things his *** could bust! :D

Back
Top Bottom