Article on Parcells 3-4 Defense. And the type of players needed to run it (important) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Parcells 3-4 Defense. And the type of players needed to run it (important)

Pinkboy

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Article on Parcells 3-4 Defense. Every fan needs to read (important)

I noticed some people getting upset about the repeated talk of the "parcells system" and the "Parcells 3-4 defense".. That is understood because it is a new system to us.. Here is an article that lays it down.. It lays down what type of players you need to run it. (pay attention as it gets more in depth later in the article)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2008/34defense.htm

After you read that, you will see why guys like Ali Highsmith would be useless in our system (just bringing him up as an example because some people said they wanted him in the 6th round)..

Keep in mind, we will be running a "True 3-4" like the types of players needed to run it in a Parcells 3-4 as that article states.. Not a "hybrid 3-4" like we ran for a little while. There is a BIG difference between the two.

I just wanted to post that article to clear the confusion.. And to show why Parcells had 265+ pound OLB's in Dallas, 250+ pound inside LB guys and 300 pound defensive ends..

What if anything does Sporano have to say? Nothing? If this is Parcells' system, blah, blah, blah, he should be coaching. I just don't see someone dictating everything move and then expecting someone else to carry out your plan the way you would. It just won't work.

I noticed some people getting upset about the repeated talk of the "parcells system" and the "Parcells 3-4 defense".. That is understood because it is a new system to us.. Here is an article that lays it down.. It lays down what type of players you need to run it. (pay attention as it gets more in depth later in the article)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2008/34defense.htm

After you read that, you will see why guys like Ali Highsmith would be useless in our system (just bringing him up as an example because some people said they wanted him in the 6th round)..

Keep in mind, we will be running a "True 3-4" like the types of players needed to run in that article.. Not a "hybrid 3-4" like we ran for a little while. There is a BIG difference between the two.

I just wanted to post that article to clear the confusion.. And to show why Parcells had 265+ pound OLB's in Dallas, 250+ pound inside LB guys and 300 pound defensive ends..

Good find. Lots of people need to read that who seem to fail to understand whats going on and why we must spend even more picks next season to fill all of these needs on the front 7. Hopefully we got at least 3 of the future starters in the front 7 in this draft. Throw in Starks and 3 more starters in next years draft and we are there. We will be needing LBs next draft.

I think it's also an excellent article explaining the history of the 3-4 as well.

Good article for any football fan in my opinion..

What if anything does Sporano have to say? Nothing? If this is Parcells' system, blah, blah, blah, he should be coaching. I just don't see someone dictating everything move and then expecting someone else to carry out your plan the way you would. It just won't work.

Sporano and Parcell's are on the same page as far as what the defensive philosophy is. Parcell's just so happened to perfect the system over his year's of coaching. Why wouldn't he offer his expertise as the VP of FOOTBALL Operations to his coaching staff?

Sporano and Parcell's are on the same page as far as what the defensive philosophy is. Parcell's just so happened to perfect the system over his year's of coaching. Why wouldn't he offer his expertise as the VP of FOOTBALL Operations to his coaching staff?

Exactly. It doesn't really make a difference because our staff (from the management team on down to the coaches) are all on the same page.

It's amazing Tony Sparano has been our head coach for months now and Dolphins fans still can't spell his name correctly.

Going by that article - withMerling, at his current weight, is a OLB.. Not a DE in a true 3-4.

The following is a list of all the teams that played the “34” defensive scheme during the 2007 season, along with their starting DE’s and their listed weights.
This information was obtained off of the official NFL web site and each teams depth chart.
I believe the numbers speak for themselves.

Team.......Def. rank......Strong (Lt.) Side.......Weak (Rt.) Side
Steelers.......# 1...........Easom 305 #............Keisel 285 #
Patriots........# 4...........Warren 300 #...........Seymour 310 #
Ravens........# 6...........Edwards 315 #..........Ngata 340 #
Dallas..........# 9...........Spears 305 #............Canty 300 #
Chargers......# 14........Olshansky 309 #........Castillo 290 #
Jets..............# 18..........Ellis 285 #...............Coleman 295 #
49’ers..........# 25...........Young 305 #............Douglas 292 #
Browns.........# 30...........Roye 330 #.............Smith 320 #

I’m sure most of us can see the trend, however for those arithmetic challenged.
The average size of a starting NFL “34” DE is 305 #
The average size of a Strong side “34” DE is 307 #
The average size of a Weak side “34” DE is 304 #

Of the 16 starting “34” DE’s in the NFL only 2 are smaller than 290 #, 4 are smaller than 295 # and only 5 are smaller than 300 #.

Phillip Merling would not just be a small “34” DE, he would be a statistical anomaly at fully 30 # smaller than the average starting “34” DE and still 10 # smaller that the smallest.
It is important to note that all but 1 of the DE’s smaller that 300 #’s play the Weak (rt.) Side

Don’t get me wrong Merling is one of the very best DE’s in this draft (behind only C. Long) and is a great value at #32, just not as a “34” DE. He’ll get pushed around, beat-up, worn down and run over as a “34” DE in the NFL.

Now comes Kendall Langford at pick # 66.
6’-6” 295 #, this is actually a better pick for a “34” DE.

Back
Top Bottom