Article On Possible Cap Cuts/Problems | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article On Possible Cap Cuts/Problems

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
:nublar:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-marvez26feb26,0,3728999.column

In four days the Dolphins' roster will probably look significantly different.

The Dolphins have until 4 p.m. Thursday to get under the salary cap, which the NFL Players Association said will stand between $92 million and $97 million for 2006.

While the final number isn't set, the Washington Times reported the Dolphins are one of eight teams that stand at least $8 million over the projected cap.
Safety Tebucky Jones ($6.8 million), left tackle Damion McIntosh ($4.48 million), cornerback Reggie Howard ($4 million) and linebacker Junior Seau ($2.92 million) appear strong candidates for release because of their high salary-cap numbers. The Dolphins also can create cap room by restructuring contracts, with defensive end Jason Taylor ($11.3 million) and middle linebacker Zach Thomas ($7.3 million) likely targets.

Still, even that might not be enough for the Dolphins to have enough cap room available to pursue top-tier free agents such as San Diego quarterback Drew Brees and New Orleans center LeCharles Bentley. That could mean the release of 2005 starters such as cornerback Sam Madison ($6.3 million) and quarterback Gus Frerotte ($4.68 million) with the possibility they could be later re-signed to lesser contracts.

A source said Madison is willing to restructure his current deal, which calls for a $3.4 million base salary in 2006. But that sentiment still might not be enough to extend his nine-season tenure with the Dolphins.

The Frerotte situation is trickier, as a source said last week that the Dolphins are only offering a backup salary. Complicating matters are CBA rules that would require the Dolphins to count any incentives in Frerotte's contract against the 2006 cap.

Please sign a CBA, please sign a CBA, please sign a CBA..........

i dont get this whole cba being an issue stuff. can someone explain to me?

"Defensive lineman Larry Chester, who played with the Dolphins from 2002 to 2004, is trying to make a comeback.

Once a key run-stuffer for the Dolphins, Chester suffered a major knee injury early in the 2004 season and was released last September. Agent David Levine said Chester is rounding back into football shape and is in the 340-pound range, which isn't much above his weight while playing with the Dolphins.

One possible destination for Chester is Baltimore, where he would be reunited with former Dolphins defensive line coach Clarence Brooks."

I wondered what was happening with him.

bring back Larry Chester! the guy is big, strong and mean, and still is relatively young, and you can never have too much depth on either line.

Cool...

So we are approx $8 million over.

But we release:
Tebucky Jones ($6.8 million)
Damion McIntosh ($4.48 million)
Reggie Howard ($4 million)
Junior Seau ($2.92 million)
Sam Madison ($6.3 million)
Jason Taylor ($11.3 million) but restructure/resign
Zach Thomas ($7.3 million) but restructure/resign
Gus Frerotte ($4.68 million) but restructure/resign
-------------------------
savings $50.88 million

$8 - $50.88 = $42.88 under the cap

Then Resign: (specualte 2006 cap value)
Jason Taylor ($6 million)
Zach Taylor ($6 million)
Gus Frerotte ($2 million)
--------------------------
new contracts $14 million

$42.88 - $14 million = $28.88 million for free agents/draft picks

$28.88 million would be very, very nice for several FA players and those draft picks.

And if we sign Brees, just presume Gus's $2M is part of Brees contract and Gus is released.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Cool...

But we release:
savings $50.88 million

$8 - $50.88 = $42.88 under the cap

Then Resign: (specualte 2006 cap value)
Jason Taylor ($6 million)
Zach Taylor ($6 million)
Gus Frerotte ($2 million)
--------------------------
new contracts $14 million

$42.88 - $14 million = $28.88 million for free agents/draft picks

$28.88 million would be very, very nice for several FA players and those draft picks.

And if we sign Brees, just presume Gus's $2M is part of Brees contract and Gus is released.

i dont think it works that easily...

a. I think we are more than 8 million over

b. there will be some dead cap(eg cutting madison won't save 6.3)

c. I think a deal will be done

d. if a deal isn't done our losses will pale in comparison to those teams in worse cap shape, giving us a better selection of FA's

I think we could get 10-15 under, we might not get Brees if there is no new CBA

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Cool...

But we release:
savings $50.88 million

Not quite. Check the cap page and read the threads and you'll see that our cap savings on most of those guys isn't anywhere near the numbers on your list. Releasing a player saves the base salary but the rest of the pro-rated signing bonus gets accelerated onto the 2006 cap, which means if you have players with long-term contrats like Howard, Madison, Taylor, and Thomas, you'll save less than half of the cap value if they were on the team.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
Not quite. Check the cap page and read the threads and you'll see that our cap savings on most of those guys isn't anywhere near the numbers on your list. Releasing a player saves the base salary but the rest of the pro-rated signing bonus gets accelerated onto the 2006 cap, which means if you have players with long-term contrats like Howard, Madison, Taylor, and Thomas, you'll save less than half of the cap value if they were on the team.

Party pooper!

Fudge 101 said:
i dont think it works that easily...

LOL...I was just having fun and missed a few significant numbers as pointed out above...:tongue: But its still nice...we will be somewhere in the 12 -20 range I would really quess.

Just adding up the cap savings numbers for the four guys mentioned (according to our cap page) leaves us about $6 mil. under. That's before any restructuring and whatever is going to happen with Madison.

dolphan117 said:
"Defensive lineman Larry Chester, who played with the Dolphins from 2002 to 2004, is trying to make a comeback.

Once a key run-stuffer for the Dolphins, Chester suffered a major knee injury early in the 2004 season and was released last September. Agent David Levine said Chester is rounding back into football shape and is in the 340-pound range, which isn't much above his weight while playing with the Dolphins.

One possible destination for Chester is Baltimore, where he would be reunited with former Dolphins defensive line coach Clarence Brooks."

I wondered what was happening with him.
Chester came into a sports store that I manage in Coral Springs last September. I asked him how camp was going (not knowing he had been cut) and he practically broke down and got real emotional when talking about it. He said the Phins never gave him a chance to come back from the injury and was confident he could still play in this league. I wish him the best even if it is not with our team.

RalphX19X said:
release Frerotte.

i agree!

he sucks so bad. he is terrible. no way the 28th ranked qb takes us to the super bowl. sorry guskateers. he sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember mid-season when our cap number for this season was going to be like 40 mill under? :(

Back
Top Bottom