Article: "Pre-Camp Analysis: Offensive Line" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: "Pre-Camp Analysis: Offensive Line"

When the draft was over, I read that Carey was "looking forward" to play left tackle because he felt it was a challange and he felt he would be ready for it. This was after he and Cam had a discussion about not choosing a left tackle in the draft. Hopefully, it will work out fine and Carey could do the job.

I'm also a little worried about Vernon moving to the left side. However, this will be his 3rd year under Houck and hopefully a break out season. If he can man the left tackle spot for us for the next 8 years I would be a happy camper.

I am not worried about Vernon C. I am really worried more about the rest of the line and their backups. Left guard stands out of course and I really do not see any quaility backup. Lots of "possible" promising rookies buts thats all!

I think the OL will be a pleasant surprise this year. Maybe not stellar, but it should be very solid. I think Carey is up to the challenge at LT and will show he has what it takes. LG is a bit of a question, but there is still the possibility of Kendall from what I understand.

This is also is my greatest concern. Carey can be a very good right tackle abd seem like at best a middle of the road guy at left tackle. Unfortunatly he is our best option at left tackle since we aquired noone that would be better.

If Carey is middle of the road DL, then that is better than last year LOL. When TC starts and the pads come on, Houck maybe shifting some player positions to maximize the talent that we have.

This is also is my greatest concern. Carey can be a very good right tackle abd seem like at best a middle of the road guy at left tackle. Unfortunatly he is our best option at left tackle since we aquired noone that would be better.

Your posts are always pessimistic. What do you mean "at best"? Is this your expert opinion?
Have you watched film of him in depth? Have you watched him at the OTA's?
Apparently, he has shown something to those that matter (HC, GM and O-line coach) and they felt pretty comfortable ignoring the LT position in FA and the draft.
Middle of the road, eh? I doubt it. He has too much talent. He's a more physically gifted player than guys like Matt Light or John Tait.

I'm hoping that Cam really knows what he needs/has in Carey at LT. Just like Rex being too big for what needs in his sytem at center, I am hoping Cam sees something similar in Carey and that it is a good fit for his system.

Cam is really smart when it comes to the O-line. He did great things in San Diego and drafted a rookie tackle that made the pro-bowl last year. I think he knows what he's doing. Saban couldn't really tell the difference when it came to offense so I trust Cam. Carey is a big guy and very powerful dude not easy to get around, so thats good for A LT. The biggest concern and the only concer for our O-line IS LEFT GUARD!? thats all!

Your posts are always pessimistic. What do you mean "at best"? Is this your expert opinion?
Have you watched film of him in depth? Have you watched him at the OTA's?
Apparently, he has shown something to those that matter (HC, GM and O-line coach) and they felt pretty comfortable ignoring the LT position in FA and the draft.
Middle of the road, eh? I doubt it. He has too much talent. He's a more physically gifted player than guys like Matt Light or John Tait.

Its an opinion geesh. So NFL people don't ever overestimate what a player can do. If they all know so much and we are just dumbazz fans how do thye have make bad draft choices. Last year we seemed pretty confident that LJ shelton could play the position, they including Houck were wrong. If you think carey will be a top level left tackle thats fine, i think as left tackle he will be somewhere in the middle, which is better than anyone else on our roster. Yes that's my expert opinion for as much expertise as I have. There are alot of people that think carey will not be an elite LT. I'm pessimistic because I believe carey is more suited to right tackle than left tackle. I'm sorry that i don't think every player on this roster is an all pro at thier position, I guess we just have been unlucky not making the playoffs with so much talent on the team. Let me see If you don't believe Beck is the best Qb ever to play college, Ted Ginn is the most dominating and fastest player ever in college, that ronnie Brown is not as good as LT than you are a pessimist. If carey was such a sure fire LT prospect than how come we did not play him there last year instead of getting LJ Shelton. I'm sure Saban did at least ask Houck a question before he signed an olineman. i understand and agree to a point why carey is being moved. The top LT prospects were not going to be there when we drafted and our chances of getting Staley were not that good unless we reached for him. After those guys maybe Ryan harris had the ability to be a better left tackle but for the most part the only upgrade at LT that was a real possibility was paying too much for Leonard davis who has not exactly been stellar there although when you are surrounded by crap its hard to shine. Carey finally came into his own last year and I think its not going to benefit him by moving to Left Tackle. Of course any NFL coach probably knows more than any one of us on this board, but they are wrong every damn year about alot of things. Wannstadt knew more about football than anyone of us her as did Rick Speilman but we still had a backup Qb starting for us for quite a while. Jimmy Johnson drafted John Avery with the first round pick and traded down from getting randy Moss. Shula one of the greatest coaches of all time had some horrible drafts.

Cam is really smart when it comes to the O-line. He did great things in San Diego and drafted a rookie tackle that made the pro-bowl last year. I think he knows what he's doing. Saban couldn't really tell the difference when it came to offense so I trust Cam. Carey is a big guy and very powerful dude not easy to get around, so thats good for A LT. The biggest concern and the only concer for our O-line IS LEFT GUARD!? thats all!

Cam did not make any picks for the oline that was Aj Smith. Cam Cameron was not the one that decided to draft Marcus Mcneil.

Its an opinion geesh. So NFL people don't ever overestimate what a player can do. If they all know so much and we are just dumbazz fans how do thye have make bad draft choices. Last year we seemed pretty confident that LJ shelton could play the position, they including Houck were wrong. If you think carey will be a top level left tackle thats fine, i think as left tackle he will be somewhere in the middle, which is better than anyone else on our roster. Yes that's my expert opinion for as much expertise as I have. There are alot of people that think carey will not be an elite LT. I'm pessimistic because I believe carey is more suited to right tackle than left tackle. I'm sorry that i don't think every player on this roster is an all pro at thier position, I guess we just have been unlucky not making the playoffs with so much talent on the team. Let me see If you don't believe Beck is the best Qb ever to play college, Ted Ginn is the most dominating and fastest player ever in college, that ronnie Brown is not as good as LT than you are a pessimist. If carey was such a sure fire LT prospect than how come we did not play him there last year instead of getting LJ Shelton. I'm sure Saban did at least ask Houck a question before he signed an olineman. i understand and agree to a point why carey is being moved. The top LT prospects were not going to be there when we drafted and our chances of getting Staley were not that good unless we reached for him. After those guys maybe Ryan harris had the ability to be a better left tackle but for the most part the only upgrade at LT that was a real possibility was paying too much for Leonard davis who has not exactly been stellar there although when you are surrounded by crap its hard to shine. Carey finally came into his own last year and I think its not going to benefit him by moving to Left Tackle. Of course any NFL coach probably knows more than any one of us on this board, but they are wrong every damn year about alot of things. Wannstadt knew more about football than anyone of us her as did Rick Speilman but we still had a backup Qb starting for us for quite a while. Jimmy Johnson drafted John Avery with the first round pick and traded down from getting randy Moss. Shula one of the greatest coaches of all time had some horrible drafts.

C'mon relax a little. Your opinion is as valid as the next person's. But you really are a "half empty glass" kind of guy. Alot of fans are trying to look for some signs and reasons to be optimistic these days. You ought to give it a try:escape:

As for Shelton; I thought it wasn't so much that Shelton was terrible at LT, but was more a case of McIntosh not being a strong enough run blocker to be effective on the right side. I also think a couple of year's experience can make all the difference in the world. Carey developed into a good LT in college. IMO the only thing that has held him back was getting used to the speed and strength of NFL players.

C'mon relax a little. Your opinion is as valid as the next person's. But you really are a "half empty glass" kind of guy. Alot of fans are trying to look for some signs and reasons to be optimistic these days. You ought to give it a try:escape:

As for Shelton; I thought it wasn't so much that Shelton was terrible at LT, but was more a case of McIntosh not being a strong enough run blocker to be effective on the right side. I also think a couple of year's experience can make all the difference in the world. Carey developed into a good LT in college. IMO the only thing that has held him back was getting used to the speed and strength of NFL players.

Carey played only one game at LT in college when Mckinnie was injured. He was beat out for the position by Eric Winston after that. carey struggled alot in college and actually played guard and RT but he was never a good LT in college. I don't look at the glass as half full or empty I just give my honest assessment of what I see. Carey was actually considered something of a dissapointment in college as one of the top high school pospects and was considered something of a reach when we drafted him in the mid first round. Most people looked at carey as a late first round to mid second round pick at the time and his best season in college was his senior season when he made third team all american on some lists. In fact he was only a two year starter one year at RT and one year at LG, both years all big east second team. carey was a good College player his last two years but never lived up to his high school hype and started exactly one game at LT.

I truly think if we got good Qb play Chambers would be a stud and we need to utilize our runningbacks in the passing game.

Back
Top Bottom