As much as it pains me to say it, McKnight should start. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As much as it pains me to say it, McKnight should start.

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
He earned it with some nice plays today. Thompson may be able to regain the spot with some nice hustle and work in practice, but at this point i feel McKnight just offers more options and is more of a gamebreaker on the field.

Thompson has struggled in this offense to gain seperation and certainly is not the open field threat that McK is. I liked the offense opening it up a little and doing some plays to soften the D that was stacking the run all day.

I feel Thompson could certainly come on some, but if we want to open up this offense we need to utilize all our playmakers and at this point McK is a playmaker.

The problem is separation.

Thompson can't seperate from his receiver as fast as the pocket collapses.

If you think back to all the catches Gadsden had....He was never open. The ball was thrown to where only he could get it because of his size compared to the regular DB.

Opposing teams will continue to blitz. All the "underneath" and misdirection plays will be open.

Mcknight can replace Thompson but as long as the opposing defense has the same commitment to the run that we have none of the downfield plays will have time to develope.

Norv called an excellent game. He took what the Giants gave him.

i would agree at this point cus mcnight is faster and he hasnt been dropping many balls and with that run yesterday, he looks great in the open field.

Over who, Ricky? That was a running play that McKnight broke, not a recieving one. How many catches/yards did James get through the air? All in all I'm just going to enjoy a big win against a tough opponent, in THEIR house. Chambers wasn't getting any catches either...maybe we should bench him for Rob Konrad?...;o)

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Over who, Ricky? That was a running play that McKnight broke, not a recieving one. How many catches/yards did James get through the air? All in all I'm just going to enjoy a big win against a tough opponent, in THEIR house. Chambers wasn't getting any catches either...maybe we should bench him for Rob Konrad?...;o)

I think what the thread is addressing (in general) is this.

Based on the four games his season projection is 21 catches for 299 yards. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ZOD

I think what the thread is addressing (in general) is this.

Based on the four games his season projection is 21 catches for 299 yards. :eek:

I know Thompson hasn't been what we hoped for...but consider the alternative. Has Jay REALLY been throwing the ball where McKnight could get it? At least with Thompson when Jay overthrows he should be the only one that CAN come down with it.

It's hard to say because of the different styles.

Yes Jay has been throwing the ball high to Thompson but I think that's more of the "You are my Gadsden" pass and Thompson just hasn't caught on yet that this is how Jay is going to throw the ball to him.

With Mcknight I think Jay will be looking for seperation from speed to throw it his way.

I think if Mcknight was in there Jay would be trying to hit the numbers or lead him.

Either way as it looks now other than Chambers on the fly our passing game looks doomed.

Originally posted by ZOD
It's hard to say because of the different styles.

Yes Jay has been throwing the ball high to Thompson but I think that's more of the "You are my Gadsden" pass and Thompson just hasn't caught on yet that this is how Jay is going to throw the ball to him.

With Mcknight I think Jay will be looking for seperation from speed to throw it his way.

I think if Mcknight was in there Jay would be trying to hit the numbers or lead him.

Either way as it looks now other than Chambers on the fly our passing game looks doomed.

Since when has Jay ever been a "hit the numbers" or "lead him" type of QB? I can count on one hand the number of "in stride" passes Jay has thrown as a Dolphin.

Well......

I was trying to give him some credit....

Okay...If we must....

Derrius just doesn't understand that Jay can't throw the ball anywhere near him so he must "go get it".

I said before the Giants game that if the Fins were going to win this one, Thompson and, McM, McKnight would need to come thru, well McK and McM did but what's up with DT? This guy needs more throws thrown to him or something. Heh, and it seems the WR's that are expecting/have newborns(see Jerovicious last year) have breakout games when it happens so hey football players, have more kids okay?!:lol: :eek: (more often too)

I would think that DT would have the ability to use that big body to shiled DB's on Slants to the inside. Jay throws low to where only DT can get to it. Auto 6 to 8 yards a pop. However, it hasn't happened so let's try something new.

having DT at slot, doesnt make much sense... having McDrop at the slot does.

DT has to become our OG, right now it looks like McMike is stepping up, which is really important for him (as well as our team). If opponents are respecting Chambers and McMike, plus having to account for McDrops speed at the slot... it SHOULD open up some room for Ricky, and thats what will make our O work.

I dont think we went in with the right gameplan, but Norv called some great plays at the right time and thats the only reason people are giving McDrop praise. If I remember right, DT had one catch on third down for a first, really, if he makes two catches a game and they are both for first downs, I'm happy. (obviously not as a happy as if he makes 10 for 180 and 2 tds, BUT, id rather have chambers with those numbers anyway...)

thompson has not done a thing...he is not a gadsden clone like we thought he was going to be...mcknight has one thing that thompson doesnt...SPEED...at least mcknight can use his speed to make some plays...he needs to start...

Back
Top Bottom