ASK MIKE: Could Sean Smith wind up in the slot? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ASK MIKE: Could Sean Smith wind up in the slot?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Q: What are the issues with Sean Smith? I know he’s gotten beat a few times in the preseason, but so have the other CB’s on the team. It’s got to be other issues. Maybe him being tardy to the Atlanta game was the final straw. He’s not playing with a mean streak. He has to tackle a lot better, and I thought he would because they said he had gain 10 pounds or more of muscle. The knock on Sean coming out of Utah was he can’t tackle and he obviously hasn’t improved in that important area of his game. And now he’s getting torched and showing up late for games. We would’ve ever thought Jason Allen would be the new starter by coach’s decision? Kudos to Jason Allen for his perseverance. Stanoh.

A: Lapses in concentration and technique are admittedly holding Smith back as much as anything. He’s still immensely talented, still deserving of a starting spot and, as Tony Sparano pointed out this week, needs to keep himself ready at all times for his next big opportunity. It’s unlikely that would come as the nickel corner in place of Benny Sapp. That’s a spot where Smith’s physical stature would actually work against him a bit, judging from Sparano’s comments on what it takes to play against slot receivers. But if that’s what it takes to get Smith back on the field and to continue this run of improvement by Jason Allen at the boundary corner, then, by all means, the Dolphins should give it a try. In the practice reps we saw during training camp, I definitely saw Smith line up at slot corner a handful of times, but that was it.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

He's a boundary corner, nothing more. He'd get embarassed going up against the quick, shifty slot WR's of the NFL.

I agree with the assertion that Smith isn't best suited for the slot. I think that's a relative certainty. What I disagree with, is in the original question it was stated that his tackling hasn't improved. That's completely untrue. Smith made marked improvement in tackling. He was very, very solid and physical, even helping out in the running game. His problem still lies in his coverage technique. He's still getting duped by double moves and head fakes.

he just strikes me as a guy who thinks things are owed to him. I'm going on record to say I hate those types of people. I remember after the last game last season he was getting interviewed about what he's going to do in the off season to get better. It just looked like he didn't care, and he kept saying nothing to do with football for a long while. I just hate when people go on natural talents and think that will be good enough to get by vs. putting in the hard work to get better. That's where the greats separate from being the goods. You can see Vontae worked his tail off this off season and got a hell of a lot better. You can also tell Sean did exactly what he said he was gonna do... not much. And that's why JA is now starting ahead of him. Hopefully this is a serious wake up call for him because he can be great... if he wants to.

He's too lanky to cover the slot, those little slot guys would juke him out. He's definitely better suited on the outside. Nolan Carroll would seem better as a slot corner.

No way would he ever be able to hold his own in the slot. I still think highly of him as a player, but he needs to get his work in.

Anyone who really believes Jason Allen will be playing as the starting corner for more then a quarter hasnt been around here the last few years. This is a message to S. Smith and nothing more, Jason Allen while not a bad guy is a pretty bad corner. Sean Smith gave up some big plays last year no doubt but overall played very well for a rook, shut down alot of receivers at times. He has a lot of upside and I expect him to be back opposite of Vontae very soon.

Both of them will still give up some plays but overall will be more then fine.

The slot will either be Sapp or Carroll.
Chubbs

No way Smith plays nickel corner for Miami. He struggles on the boundary as it is. Put him in the slot where WR typically get free release, let's say against a guy like Harvin or Welker etc, and he'd be destroyed. Benny Sapp is going to be the nickel corner this year, and I'm happy Miami traded for him. Sapp may not be the greatest cover corner, but he does a good job against the slot and actually tackles well (preventing big YAC), something Smith also struggles with.

Back
Top Bottom