Ask Mike: Should the Dolphins persue Merriman? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Mike: Should the Dolphins persue Merriman?

As much as i think he is so over hyped i would welcome merriman with OPEN ARMs, wow would he make an impact on our D.

Sure, if he signs a reasonable contract, PROVES HIS WORTH. If he plays with no heart, cut him

I don't see it happening, but it IS an interesting question.

This is not some 32 year old with 9 or 10 seasons in the league. This is a 26 year old with 4 seasons logged in this league (would be 5 but he spent one nearly full year injured) and only one of those seasons could you point to and say his performance was anything less than stellar. He missed the 2008 season with an injury. It happens. It's part of this league. He missed some more games in 2009 and was a lot less effective, with I believe some complications related to that injury. It becomes a medical thing. But this is still a guy that registered 39.5 sacks in his first 42 games in the league.

And if you think that A.J. Smith wouldn't be cutting ties with the man unless he knew something nobody else did, just remember that Smith also cut ties with Drew Brees under very similar circumstances. In the Brees case, after some frustration with his progress, he drafted Phil Rivers. That put pressure on him to move on without Brees and when Drew hurt his shoulder, that was the tipping point to just let him walk as a free agent. In Merriman's case, the injury that caused him to miss 2008 induced Smith to draft Larry English, and with Merriman being a little slow to come back from that injury, that could be the thing that sees Smith tossing Merriman out. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's done.

Tough question, I think the Dolphins will stand pat, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should.

Pass rusher with bum knee and steriod problem...

No Thanks

I think the Jets will show interest. Also, I think their going after T.O.

Man... I'd love to have him here.

i'd take him (again only for a reasonable price). When healthy and motivated, he is one of the top OLBs in the league IMO

If i recall correctly, he missed the entire season because he refused to get surgery in the offseason and tried to rush back(wanted that new contract) against the opinion of multiple doctors...only to realize that wasn't possible and was put on IR after 1 game. As well, during the draft this year, the Chargers had a(or a few) trades lined up, but couldnt get it done because he and his agent couldnt agree to contracts with the new team. The past few years, there always seems to be "some reason" as to why Merriman can't get back to his previous form, and in that time span he has made extremely foolish decisions. The guy seems to only be out for the money and has damned his team in the process a few times over(and ironically, his career at the same time). To be fair, he did fire his agent after the draft fiasco.

I know im in the minority, but i would rather wait and see what we have on the team. If there is one position Parcells knows its outside linebacker, and he did approve of signing Wake(whom paid some dividends) and drafting Misi. Mike Nolan made it work in Denver with just Dumervil, who was playing a new position, and if anyone can squeeze blood from a stone it should be him. Right now, ill take mostly unproven talent over a guy who hasn't been healthy or productive since he stopped juicing.

David Boston part 2. Besides the Dolphins really don't need anymore woman beaters, they have enough already.

He won't be coming here, and the jests will wait until he is 34 and slow, and they will sign it to a 2 year deal, worth 12 mill a year!!!

Back
Top Bottom