Assessing the need for WR.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assessing the need for WR..

phinfanNY08

Starter
Reaction score
I am constantly seeing threads regarding the need for WRs and how much it will help. I see this two different ways:

1) The talent need is there. Our WR corps doesn't jump out at anybody and there will be no opposing defense really looking to double any of our wideouts. This is going to cause some concern, particularly we have no deep threat. Trading draft picks to secure a top tier wideout (Bowe, Wallace) would be ideal since both are now entering their prime. This will allow the offense to force defenses to focus on the superstar and allow Clay, Fasano, Egnew and Bess to chew up the middle of the field. It also doesn't help Hartline has been banged up and is not getting any better as we continue to progress through camp. Our starting wideouts as I see: Nanee, Bess, Wallace :err:. No big names, no big threat, may not produce enough for the Philbin/Sherman west coast offense to be successful.

2) Tannehill has been developing nicely since he arrived in training camp. You could see from his time in the Tampa game he has good chemistry with the 2nd string wideouts. Why not let it ride with Roberto Wallace, Pruitt, Cunningham Fuller and Matthews. Not all those guys will make the roster but they can be practice squad guys (Matthews and Cunningham potentially). Fuller has all the physical tools to be a real good wide out, but for whatever reason, he has the dropsies. Probably hanging out with Chad too much. He and Tannehill worked well in college and I am sure they are playing catch and continuing to build their chemistry. Philbin's west coast offense didnt focus on a true #1 wide out. The ball was spread to the guy that was open.

NAMERECTARYDSAVGTDLONG20+YDS/GFUMFUMLYAC1DN
Jordy Nelson6896126318.615931978.90041847
Greg Jennings6710194914.29791373.00030943
Jermichael Finley559376713.98411447.90023944
James Jones385563516.77701139.71028527
Donald Driver375644512.0635527.80014220
Randall Cobb253137515.0161325.00018815
Ryan Grant192426814.1180317.90027610
James Starks29372167.4017016.6002799
John Kuhn1518775.121104.800685
Brandon Saine1012696.902218.600791
Tom Crabtree68386.311502.400204

The Packers last year had 3 guys with 50+ receptions, 2 with upper 30's and two with mid to upper 20's. Also, notice the targets for each player that had a catch. Did anyone know of Jordy Nelson, James Jones or Randall Cobb before they came to Green Bay? I didn't.

In conclusion, run with what we have. We are looking at a potentially good WR class in 2013 and we can continue to build with what we have. Have faith! FinsUp!

jordy nelson is a beast and he was an unknown. he didnt get alot of coverage because he was ignored due to being white. (what i read in 1 article months ago) i would like to hogan get a shot and maybe he can our jordy neslon. (sorry hartline)

I agree, everyone views our wr core as being weak and hopefully a guy or two can step up and surprise some people. We are already in the 2nd week of preseason and unless we bring in someone that's already familiar with the playbook it may be a hindrance more than anything else

I agree, everyone views our wr core as being weak and hopefully a guy or two can step up and surprise some people. We are already in the 2nd week of preseason and unless we bring in someone that's already familiar with the playbook it may be a hindrance more than anything else

The only guy even worth bringing in would be James Jones. He would probably warrant a 3rd round pick due to his contract but he knows the system very well. Would be a great asset as a #2 guy

The Packers last year had 3 guys with 50+ receptions, 2 with upper 30's and two with mid to upper 20's. Also, notice the targets for each player that had a catch. Did anyone know of Jordy Nelson, James Jones or Randall Cobb before they came to Green Bay? I didn't.

In conclusion, run with what we have. We are looking at a potentially good WR class in 2013 and we can continue to build with what we have. Have faith! FinsUp!
You must not spend much time in the draft forum then. I wasn't here when Nelson and Jones were drafted (I was registered but didn't post much back then) but I really wanted Jordy Nelson when he was coming out...not sure how many knew or liked James Jones but Randall Cobb was talked about quite a bit in the draft forum the year he came out, mostly for his return ability.

jordy nelson is a beast and he was an unknown. he didnt get alot of coverage because he was ignored due to being white. (what i read in 1 article months ago) i would like to hogan get a shot and maybe he can our jordy neslon. (sorry hartline)
That may be what one article said but I think Jordy Nelson was very well known. He was the best receiver in the Big 12 IMO. He did everything for Kansas State...the guy was their passing offense since KSU was more known for being a running team.

james jones will be a good addition. i hope we can offer some trade or draft pick. its worth a shot.

The only guy even worth bringing in would be James Jones. He would probably warrant a 3rd round pick due to his contract but he knows the system very well. Would be a great asset as a #2 guy

I believe J.Jones lead the league in dropped passes last season. Good receiver but that's a problem, as demonstrated by B.Marshall in the endzone last season.

Where are all the, "we don't need a top WR for this offense" people?....funny....don't see much of that talk anymore....LOL

Develop the talent we have, look in the draft for future WR. No more overpaid WRs please

We should end the Les Brown experiment at TE and make him strictly WR.

He cannot block from a three point stance in tight end set. I agree switching him but he would then have to learn the position and learn to block better. I think he potentially lands on practice squad so he can learn the game. Very raw

I feel great about our TEs Fasano, Clay and Egnew keep Brown on the PS for a year or 2 then he may be ready. As for these young WRs, Wallace has been knocking on the door for a couple years and WRs have the 3 year rule, I may be wrong but isnt this year 3? Roberto is going to break out

Back
Top Bottom