Assessment of Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assessment of Offense

PhinsPhan122

Ted Hill
Reaction score
QB's - Three or four games is not enough to evaluate long term ability, especially when the surrounding players haven't executed to the best of their abilites. We need to continue to look at Joey and Daunte, chances are one of them is our long term answer. Cleo Lemon is a work in progress and should not be the starter.

RB's - Ronnie Brown is a solid back and everyone else isn't. In this league you need two solid backs. They don't have to be great, just solid. I think we should invest an early round draft pick (day one) or trade for a better answer for a number two back (preferably someone with a different style than Ronnie). There is also the idea of drafting a RB top ten and using a more two-back set or moving Ronnie to number two on the depth chart.

FB - Im no expert, but I'm not sold on Darian Barnes. We need to look elsewhere. The lead-blocker is crucial in running the Power-I, especially when we don't run too many creative rushing plays.

OL - Another area where I'm no expert. The line has showed improvement this year, but there is still room for growth. Run blocking hasn't been good and pass blocking has been better but still inconsistent. If the Dolphins end up with a high draft pick, I like the idea that the Jets used last year in trading down and getting two stud lineman late in round one.

TE's - For all those that say it's time to part ways with McMichael (myself inculded), it probably won't happen. If I remember correctly, we gave him a big long contract recently. He is a good player, he just needs to sure up his hands. The other guys looked good in preseason (especially Peele) but it's hard to evaluate with a lot of game experience.

WR's - We have talent and statistically they have been good. But there are no playmakers. Chambers is not playing near his pro-bowl campaign last year. Booker has been hurt and inconsistent. Hagan has played well but does have a tendency to drop balls. I still like his future outlook. Welker has really stepped up. I may want to see the coaches limit his special teams reps so he is fresher on offense and stays healthy. If we do have a high pick, Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett may be a draft option.

Actually Barnes is good at blocking ahead in the I formation. We run too many " creative" running plays and hardly use him. I wish we would just pound it more. I guess its because the coach has no faith in our line.

offensive line comes first before any pick. no wide receiver, no quarterback, nothing on defense. we either trade down if our pick is 1 2 or 3, or we pick the best O-lineman in the draft. the o-line is the foundation of every single good football team. no team will succeed without a good oline.

I HATE the idea of drafting a lineman in the first round. It's like hit or miss with OL and then you have to have alot of luck for them to even make it through training camp without a significant injury. We either trade down or go BPA, a stud WR would be nice.

malzj said:
I HATE the idea of drafting a lineman in the first round. It's like hit or miss with OL and then you have to have alot of luck for them to even make it through training camp without a significant injury. We either trade down or go BPA, a stud WR would be nice.

Agreed. I would go OL in the 2nd round.

We need a WR in the 1st round.

ZThomas54 said:
offensive line comes first before any pick. no wide receiver, no quarterback, nothing on defense. we either trade down if our pick is 1 2 or 3, or we pick the best O-lineman in the draft. the o-line is the foundation of every single good football team. no team will succeed without a good oline.

You don't need a top 5 pick in the O-line to be a good O-line. How many top 5 picks does Denver, Atlanta or New England have on their respective O-lines?
If we have one of the top 3 picks in this draft we have to pick a player that will make an immediate impact either on offense or defense OR you draft a young QB and rebuild around him.

I agree. Drafting a Lineman in the top 20 is a huge risk. The only way I think we should draft Linemen early is if we trade down and get multiple picks in the early first to mid second rounds. Other than that, though, we should draft an offensive playmaker or secondary help if we are in the top 10.

PhinsPhan122 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the personell and possible changes for next year?

Keep Brown, Welker and Carey. Sweep the rest of them.

No matter whether we take OL or a skill position player in the first round, if we are drafting top 3 we should trade down for more picks if we can. A top 3 pick will hurt us too much in our cap space and we should be able to build a decent OL with second round picks.

PhinsRock said:
No matter whether we take OL or a skill position player in the first round, if we are drafting top 3 we should trade down for more picks if we can. A top 3 pick will hurt us too much in our cap space and we should be able to build a decent OL with second round picks.

We have to stop the trade down fantasies here. Trading down is dependant on a team that "wants" to do so, not us.

We will most likely finish in the 7 to 10 pick range. We'll go by that for now. Trade downs are wishful thinking until the clock falls to us on draft day.

QB's - not the problem.
RB's - not the problem.
WR's - not the problem.
FB - doesn't play. Part of the problem.
O-line: not very good. Part of the problem.
Game Preparation: Part of the problem.
Play-calling: part of the problem.
Coaching: Lack of Discipline: part of the problem.

Our only hope of trading down is if we are #1 and somebody really want Quinn. other than that i say draft Calvin Johnson we could us a receiver who can catch.

Back
Top Bottom