Assistant Coachs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assistant Coachs?

dan the fin

Starter
Super Donator
Reaction score
I keep seeing that a lot of people want to get J. Loftan as are WR coach or possible OC. Now is he still under contract with SD or not? Cause it is my understanding that if he is then there is no way that SD lets him leave to come here. Remeber also that the NFL does not consider a position coach going to OC as a promotion so they can block us from hireing him as OC as well if he is under contract. We did this to the Browns when they were intrested in Garrett

I keep seeing that a lot of people want to get J. Loftan as are WR coach or possible OC. Now is he still under contract with SD or not? Cause it is my understanding that if he is then there is no way that SD lets him leave to come here. Remeber also that the NFL does not consider a position coach going to OC as a promotion so they can block us from hireing him as OC as well if he is under contract. We did this to the Browns when they were intrested in Garrett

Are you sure about that? A WR coach becoming an OC coordinator is not a lateral move so how could it not be considered a promotion and blocked?

Are you sure about that? A WR coach becoming an OC coordinator is not a lateral move so how could it not be considered a promotion and blocked?

While in everybodys mind in the football world this is a promotion but for some stupid reason the NFL does not view it that way I believe. That is why we were able to block the Browns from talking to Garrett about there OC position. I remeber there was a big discussion about this last year as also. There may be some loopholes in there but I don't remeber for sure.

While in everybodys mind in the football world this is a promotion but for some stupid reason the NFL does not view it that way I believe. That is why we were able to block the Browns from talking to Garrett about there OC position. I remeber there was a big discussion about this last year as also. There may be some loopholes in there but I don't remeber for sure.

We were able to block the Browns not because of the NFL rules as the rules would permit Garret to go from our team QB coach to their team as OC because the OC is a higher level position, we blocked it because he is under contract. Now if this were the case then Linehan would have not been able to become the head coach of St louis becuase i believe he was only under contract for one year.

The NFL allows "lower level" coaches to move from team to team only if they are moving to a "higher level" job. For example, an OC or a DC can go to another team to become that teams head coach. They do not however allow an OC to go to another team to become their OC (Lateral Movement), they do not allow a WR coach or Linebackers coach to go to another team to become their WR coach or their linebacker coach.

The NFL does consider being a coordinator a promotion. In the past, position coaches could leave if they were being promoted. But teams were getting position coaches and naming them "asst HC" just to justify the promotion.

But they changed that two years ago. Now, if you are under contract, you are under contract and you must be granted permission to leave.

The only "loop-hole" is for a HC job, which no team would block anyway or else no coach would ever sign more than a one year contract.

The NFL does consider being a coordinator a promotion. In the past, position coaches could leave if they were being promoted. But teams were getting position coaches and naming them "asst HC" just to justify the promotion.

But they changed that two years ago. Now, if you are under contract, you are under contract and you must be granted permission to leave.

The only "loop-hole" is for a HC job, which no team would block anyway or else no coach would ever sign more than a one year contract.

Like what Capers did with Miami and Houston. The NFL wouldnt allow him to take the title of DC because he had to be a year removed from Houston as their head coach, so dooshbag gave him the assistant to the head coach title.

Back
Top Bottom