At some point we have to commit to a young QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At some point we have to commit to a young QB

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me to see Philip Rivers starting for the Dolphins this year (sorry Navy - another Rivers thread). Here's why:

1 - Sooner or later we have to commit to a young QB - letting them sit the bench watching and supposedly learning for a year or two doesn't always work. I believe in Baptism by Fire. Throw his tail in there and let him learn! Sitting the bench only allows skills to diminish (blitz reads...etc). Granted, we will see a lot of simple pass plays and running Ricky early on - but wasn't that what Norv was doing anyway?.

2 - Our salary cap situation suggests we have a lot of problems and a lot of needs. While a lot of you think we need to address the QB position with a veteran, I think it doesn't matter. We'd be putting him behind a line that will get him killed. We should use whatever cap money we have on improving the offensive line.

3 - We will be drafting the most mature QB available to us - because he will be starting from day one - that in my opinion is Rivers.

4 - Let the new QB develop a rapport with our young receivers during game situations. Chambers, Tolver, Thompson, McMichael and any drafted receivers will need to get their timing down with our rookie - let this happen while he is getting his on the job training!

5 - It may not put us in the best position to win in 2004, but we will all be better for it in 2005. If we have a bad year as a result, who do you think will be blamed? Wannstedt, of course. Hence, Trestman gets elevated to head coach.

6 - A veteran QB will be available to us on June 1st - it may even be Griese or Fiedler. While not a popular choice of many of you, they know the system. It will also give our rookie all of the snaps with the first unit during mini camps. And, we'll probably get that veteran pretty cheap.

Go ahead - roast me. But know this - you won't change my mind!
(I'm a little stubborn that way)

Hey, if we can get Rivers (only rook besides Eli i could handle us starting next season) and use all our FA money on o-line and draft a nice WR to complement Chambers....i could actually see us winning with PR at the helm. Maybe not all the way, but with a powerhouse run game and an improved o-line (not to mention a star-studded D) to take the Pressure off Rivers, i can see us repeating our 10-6 record and probably making the playoffs.

So why not throw Sage out there if we want some fire to start burning.??

Enough of this Saga ****! I'd would rather have Ricky Ray get a shot over Saga!!

Back
Top Bottom