Athletic Draft Grade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Athletic Draft Grade

I think the Rams are getting criticized for the “value” of the trade to move up. I heard it was like one of the worst values, trade wise, in many years.
Correct, but ESPN is assigning the value, and who are they? The Rams have said they had Fiske as a first rounder, and they got him for a fourth and a second next year. It's phenomenal value to them.

It just seems crazy to me that we're going to let ESPN decide that they were right, and the Rams were wrong.

What's very interesting to me, is that draft grades are kind of perverse. They assume that the day after the draft, the Athletic (or ESPN, or PFF or whoever) still know more than the teams. No. They should be looking at how the draft played out, and using that information to talk about where they went wrong in evaluating players.

ESPN for example are heavily criticizing the Rams for "overpaying" to move up and draft Braden Fiske. No, ESPN. It was you that undervalued Fiske, Les Snead knows exactly what he's doing.

Think about humans in various activities. Betting on games or which teams will be in the SB. A *LOT* of experts bet. some for a team, some against. Stock market. Not all experts buy the same stocks. Genetic researchers argue over which genes cause a disease.
My point? Experts all over the world from endless fields argue over potential outcomes. Not just football fans and the draft. There aren't mocks that agree on every pick. It's just a fun off-season exercise. I admit, I do watch consensus, but even those are wrong, thus, UDFAs who 'surprise' every year. For now, it's off-season and nothing much to discuss.

Think about humans in various activities. Betting on games or which teams will be in the SB. A *LOT* of experts bet. some for a team, some against. Stock market. Not all experts buy the same stocks. Genetic researchers argue over which genes cause a disease.
My point? Experts all over the world from endless fields argue over potential outcomes. Not just football fans and the draft. There aren't mocks that agree on every pick. It's just a fun off-season exercise. I admit, I do watch consensus, but even those are wrong, thus, UDFAs who 'surprise' every year. For now, it's off-season and nothing much to discuss.

I get it, I'm just surprised there's not more push back.

I don't disagree about Baltimore, or that it a viable way to approach the position, but if that is the basic philosophy, I have to wonder if having guys like Chubb, and JP in the future, makes financial sense.

I mean is it practical to give Phillips a top level edge contract for rotational play?
Astute observation. Aside from QB, the best trade returns seem to be for pass rushers. If part of the team's (new) philosophy is to be more selective about mega contracts and trade or let walk some good talent where the team's other needs dictate, then they have to draft well and often at the most expensive positions. Best case scenario these newly added pass rushers blossom quickly and afford the team flexibility on how to handle Chubb (and Phillips as he approaches a costly extension). At a minimum it means a lot of trouble for opposing OCs in the 4th quarter, and more resilience for our defense throughout the season. Hopefully we wont again see the crippled pass rush the team was forced to bring into last year's playoffs.

We actually closed the gap on Buffalo last year. If it wasn't for bad play calling by McD in the Titans game and injuries down the stretch, we would have won the AFC East easily. What a stupid article.

I think most teams don't have much concern over the talking heads that drum up headlines for clickbait. Most of the other outlets just repeat the same hyperbole..

When it comes to the draft, everyone assumes they know which player will be good, reality is no one beats a coin flip with these predictions...

The draft is a budgeting tool, not a grocery store...

Our drafting of Edge first might tell us the FO realizes the return time of Chubb and Phillips may be well into the season.
They felt that needed attention first, but recognize the OL multiple issues and tried to plug that hole with our only other high pick.
Or that they want to move on from Chubb at some point

Astute observation. Aside from QB, the best trade returns seem to be for pass rushers. If part of the team's (new) philosophy is to be more selective about mega contracts and trade or let walk some good talent where the team's other needs dictate, then they have to draft well and often at the most expensive positions. Best case scenario these newly added pass rushers blossom quickly and afford the team flexibility on how to handle Chubb (and Phillips as he approaches a costly extension). At a minimum it means a lot of trouble for opposing OCs in the 4th quarter, and more resilience for our defense throughout the season. Hopefully we wont again see the crippled pass rush the team was forced to bring into last year's playoffs.
supply and demand, there aren't many kinds of players coveted more by NFL GMs than pass rushers

Phillips will play on his 5th year then a decision will be made. Achilles is a super tough injury and hard to not lose a step. Phillips had enough burst that he might have had a step to lose but can’t assume he’s going to be the same player. Barrett is a short term rental. Chubb is the only guy that will almost be guaranteed on the roster at edge in 2026 currently under contract due to his contract.

Phillips is going into his 4th year, not his 5th. If he recovers and plays well this season there's no reason to think they won't try to tie him up on a long term deal next offseason, before his 5th year starts. I'm sure they'd prefer to avoid another Wilkins situation.

Phillips is going into his 4th year, not his 5th. If he recovers and plays well this season there's no reason to think they won't try to tie him up on a long term deal next offseason, before his 5th year starts. I'm sure they'd prefer to avoid another Wilkins situation.

Maybe but I doubt it. More than likely scenario is either he misses some time this year and when he comes back he won’t be the same. He’s going to try to use his old pre tear explosion but he simply won’t have it. That doesn’t mean he can’t be effective and will still have more than enough explosion to be great but he’ll have to tweak his game and I doubt that happens this year after spending all offseason just to get on the field. I’m sure Grier will offer maybe 12-15 ballpark range but doubt he takes it and plays on 5th year.

I don't disagree about Baltimore, or that it a viable way to approach the position, but if that is the basic philosophy, I have to wonder if having guys like Chubb, and JP in the future, makes financial sense.

I mean is it practical to give Phillips a top level edge contract for rotational play?
What you're talking about is already how a lot of teams handle RB. RBBC, mix of vets and young guys, with no big contracts.

I think some teams have already seen the big WR contracts and figured out they're better off drafting a talented rookie.

At edge I think teams still want a "war daddy" (Jerry Jones term, I think he was describing DeMarcus Ware at the time) to anchor the pass rush, but then come in with waves of cheaper guys.

Maybe but I doubt it. More than likely scenario is either he misses some time this year and when he comes back he won’t be the same. He’s going to try to use his old pre tear explosion but he simply won’t have it. That doesn’t mean he can’t be effective and will still have more than enough explosion to be great but he’ll have to tweak his game and I doubt that happens this year after spending all offseason just to get on the field. I’m sure Grier will offer maybe 12-15 ballpark range but doubt he takes it and plays on 5th year.

I don't think that's more than likely. Achilles tears don't take that long to come back from and by all accounts his rehab is going well. I have no idea what Grier will offer or what JP would take, but I'd be surprised if they tried to low-ball him and have him play on the 5th year option.

From the Athletic under Draft Losers:
Miami Dolphins
Despite forfeiting their third-round pick because of impermissible contact with Tom Brady and the agent for Sean Payton, the Dolphins still finished the draft with seven picks. Yet they didn’t seem to hit on any big-time stars. Edge rusher Chop Robinson has upside, but he’ll need time to develop. So will second-round offensive tackle Patrick Paul. A team needing to shrink the gap between itself and the Buffalo Bills needed more slam-dunk selections.

What is a slam dunk selection
Drake Maye?
Keon Coleman??

To me, the Bills lost as much or more than we did before the draft and didn't come away with "slam dunks" to replace Diggs, Poyer and Davis and Morse.
They got a big WR who lacks the speed and quickness of either of the receivers they lost. Got a good safety in Bishop and a good center in Van Pran Granger but both will need time to develop.

The Jets got a future LT and a slot receiver from a small school so where are the slam dunks?

The Pats had another blah draft, imo, and won't be ready for prime time for awhile

Prediction here that the combo of Jalen Wright and Malik Washington make a bigger contribution than any other AFC East rookie duo.
this might be right, but potentially having a better draft than the jets or bills or pats does not make it a good draft. i share the authors concerns about the first two picks, then i like what they did after that

From the Athletic under Draft Losers:
Miami Dolphins
Despite forfeiting their third-round pick because of impermissible contact with Tom Brady and the agent for Sean Payton, the Dolphins still finished the draft with seven picks. Yet they didn’t seem to hit on any big-time stars. Edge rusher Chop Robinson has upside, but he’ll need time to develop. So will second-round offensive tackle Patrick Paul. A team needing to shrink the gap between itself and the Buffalo Bills needed more slam-dunk selections.

What is a slam dunk selection
Drake Maye?
Keon Coleman??

To me, the Bills lost as much or more than we did before the draft and didn't come away with "slam dunks" to replace Diggs, Poyer and Davis and Morse.
They got a big WR who lacks the speed and quickness of either of the receivers they lost. Got a good safety in Bishop and a good center in Van Pran Granger but both will need time to develop.

The Jets got a future LT and a slot receiver from a small school so where are the slam dunks?

The Pats had another blah draft, imo, and won't be ready for prime time for awhile

Prediction here that the combo of Jalen Wright and Malik Washington make a bigger contribution than any other AFC East rookie duo.

The "Atlantic" is just "salty". - LOL

Back
Top Bottom