Athletic vs. Intellect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Athletic vs. Intellect

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
If you were to draft a linebacker, would you rather have one with exceptional athleticness and average intellect, or exceptional intellect and average athleticness?

Now I don't know much about Myles Jack other than the fact that he's a superior athlete. I have no indication that he isn't a smart player, so I'll use him as an example hypothetically.

I've seen Scooby Wright's name pop up as a player who possesses great intellect, but has athletic limitations.

Again, using Myles Jack as a hypothetical, which would you rather have as an inside backer?

*Another note, Jack is listed officially as an OLB, but I don't see any reason why he can't be an inside backer. Ryan Shazier was listed at OLB coming out and has been playing inside backer in Pitt's 3-4.*

Need a balance, a smart player is great but if he is physically very limited that will go nowhere. At the same time a physical freak with no brains... is Dion Jordan!

I certainly want a smart team capable of running a complicated scheme (too many idiots didnt get Coyles D which was why it got so vanilla) and unlike some NFL players it would be nice if everyone on our team can spell their own names, but we need to get some big time athletes on this team as well

Neither...

kelvin shepherd!

(philbin's answer :lol:)

But really though, we need someone with a good combination of both in the worst way. I'd go with the instincts but you can't have a total plodder out there at the same time...

Neither...

kelvin shepherd!

(philbin's answer :lol:)

But really though, we need someone with a good combination of both in the worst way. I'd go with the instincts but you can't have a total plodder out there at the same time...

Which is what Jaylon Smith was but after the injury it becomes dubious. I was for drafting Kendricks last year with our pick and Smith was even better imo. I would now look to get one of the top corners instead with the 8th pick at this point.

Which is what Jaylon Smith was but after the injury it becomes dubious. I was for drafting Kendricks last year with our pick and Smith was even better imo. I would now look to get one of the top corners instead with the 8th pick at this point.

Yeah he was my top want... I'm leaning towards db too. But the question is- can Myles Jack be a mike?

Great football players are great football players, great athletes aren't necessarily great football players. I'll take the freak athlete as an OLB pass-rusher, like a Derrick Thomas or LT. I'll take the instinctual player as a 3 down guy anytime. Zach Thomas, Mike Singletary, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, etc...

Obviously you have to have the core athletic chops to compete in the NFL, but as Zack Thomas proved -- intelligence multiplied by hard work and study are vastly underrated when it comes to projecting a college prospect IMO.

Funny note, it pissed a bunch of NFL personnel folks off that Jimmy found such a productive player as Zack given his "multiple physical exclusions" including height short arms and 40 time. But Zack was just a great football player. And that's what we need.

BNF.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Oh yea, the reason it pissed so many off was because (in their words) after Thomas proved to be such a hidden gem they had to scout and evaluate "midgets" like Zack!

True story.

Obviously you have to have the core athletic chops to compete in the NFL, but as Zack Thomas proved -- intelligence multiplied by hard work and study are vastly underrated when it comes to projecting a college prospect IMO.

Funny note, it pissed a bunch of NFL personnel folks off that Jimmy found such a productive player as Zack given his "multiple physical exclusions" including height short arms and 40 time. But Zack was just a great football player. And that's what we need.

BNF.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Oh yea, the reason it pissed so many off was because (in their words) after Thomas proved to be such a hidden gem they had to scout and evaluate "midgets" like Zack!

True story.

Zack immediately came to mind when reading the OP. Give me a whole backfield of Zack clones and I'll gladly take my chances, physical limitations and all.

I want a guy like Jalen Reeves Maybin. This kid could have been a 1st rounder and probably top 10 but he's finishing his senior year at Tennessee.

Smart and Athletic.

The vast majority of great MLB's have also been great athletes. Zach Thomas is an underrated athlete, but look at our other recent great MLB's/ILB's. Junior Seau, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Luke Kuechly are all top-tier athletes. Even when you look at the next tier - guys like Derrick Johnson, Lawrence Timmons, Bobby Wagner - the majority will be top-tier/near top-tier athletes. The range of intelligence between these LB's contains much more variation than the range of athletic ability between them. You will always have exceptions, and Thomas is a great exception - though, again, and underrated athlete, but looking for exceptions will not yield sustained results (to paraphrase Awsi).

If you were to draft a linebacker, would you rather have one with exceptional athleticness and average intellect, or exceptional intellect and average athleticness?

Now I don't know much about Myles Jack other than the fact that he's a superior athlete. I have no indication that he isn't a smart player, so I'll use him as an example hypothetically.

I've seen Scooby Wright's name pop up as a player who possesses great intellect, but has athletic limitations.

Again, using Myles Jack as a hypothetical, which would you rather have as an inside backer?

*Another note, Jack is listed officially as an OLB, but I don't see any reason why he can't be an inside backer. Ryan Shazier was listed at OLB coming out and has been playing inside backer in Pitt's 3-4.*

A superior athlete can make up for lack of intelligence however no matter how athletic you are, if you are so far out of position, with the speed of the game, you are not going to get there.

Give me intelligence 1st then athleticism. If you can read a play, you are already on your way.

This is a hard either or...we've had smart players, but in a position where physicality is paramount I would worry that all the intelligence in the world would do little to help sift through traffic and make in impact at the point of attack...In this situation I would go with the superior athlete and hope that my coaches are not what we had as coaches.

This is a hard either or...we've had smart players, but in a position where physicality is paramount I would worry that all the intelligence in the world would do little to help sift through traffic and make in impact at the point of attack...In this situation I would go with the superior athlete and hope that my coaches are not what we had as coaches.

First person who didn't say "both" :lol:

Same here. We have seen our share of the limitations of the athlete and the results of that. The opposite end of the spectrum though is sometimes falling in love with the athlete and you just end up with that in the end - but not a good football player.

If you have to choose though for the MLB have to have confidence your coaches can bring along the superior athlete and then its a win win in the end.

Back
Top Bottom