Athlon Sports: Dolphins a "winner" in free agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Athlon Sports: Dolphins a "winner" in free agency

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
National praise continues for what the Dolphins were able to accomplish in free agency(so far). You might recall last week Yahoo Sports handed out letter grades to teams, with the Dolphins receiving the highest grade.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread.php?353499-Yahoo-Sports-Free-Agency-Grades&highlight=

I just came across Athlon Sports naming their winners and the Dolphins were among them.

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/2014-nfl-free-agency-winners

Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins were one of the more aggressive teams in free agency last season, adding wide receiver Mike Wallace, linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and cornerback Brent Grimes, among others. The ‘Fins didn’t stay on the sidelines this time around either, as the biggest fish they reeled in was former Kansas City left tackle Branden Albert. The 6-5, 316-pound blocker didn’t come cheap (five years, $47 million, $20 million guaranteed), but he was considered by many the best tackle available and he’s clearly an upgrade over what the Dolphins had (and had to deal with) last season.

New general manager Dennis Hickey and head coach Joe Philbin also decided to address their struggling running game, which ranked 26th last season, by bringing in Knowshon Moreno. The oft-injured running back is coming off his best season, rushing for 1,038 yards and adding another 548 on 60 catches while scoring 13 total touchdowns for Denver. Signed for one year at just $3 million, Moreno will try and build on last season’s success, as he will compete with incumbents Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas for touches.

Miami took care of important business on defense by re-signing defensive tackle Randy Starks and cornerback Brent Grimes, while also inking St. Louis Ram castoff Cortland Finnegan to further bolster its secondary. Most off all, the Dolphins are “winners” in that they made sure to rid themselves of offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, the two central figures in the bullying scandal that overshadowed and sullied their 2013 season.

Rounding out the rest of the AFC East, the Patriots were also called winners. Not surprising, but the Bills and Jets were not cosnidered winners.

Most off all, the Dolphins are “winners” in that they made sure to rid themselves of offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, the two central figures in the bullying scandal that overshadowed and sullied their 2013 season.

Gratifying to see that these days through the more measured perspective of the rearview mirror, Martin is being less depicted as a "victim" and more as an active contributor to the problems. :up:

Most off all, the Dolphins are “winners” in that they made sure to rid themselves of offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, the two central figures in the bullying scandal that overshadowed and sullied their 2013 season.

Ahhhhhhhh. a perfect example of the ole addition through subtraction method... very wise grasshopper, very wise... ;-)

wiseman-1.jpg

At least we are keeping status quo. We're paper champs every year.

I like all of the Free Agency moves except finnegan. Too much risk in that one for too much money. Otherwise if Hickey sticks to BPA in first 3 rounds this year then future looking brighter.

I won't lie, I get real nervous when we garner positive national attention. :unsure:

I like all of the Free Agency moves except finnegan. Too much risk in that one for too much money. Otherwise if Hickey sticks to BPA in first 3 rounds this year then future looking brighter.

Totally agree!!

Back
Top Bottom