Atogwe intends to become Unrestricted Free Agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atogwe intends to become Unrestricted Free Agency

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
There was a lot less for Atogwe to relish this offseason when the Rams made him a one-year offer for $1.226 million. The alternative was a one-year offer for nearly $7 million. With Atogwe coming off injury and an ownership change pending, the Rams hedged their bets on him.

The contrast from last offseason is striking from all angles.

"I don't have to be [here] contractually," Atogwe said a year ago, "but I feel like I'm obligated to be here for my teammates and for my coaches. Going forward in this year, if I want to be a part of this team, I want to be a part of this team from the beginning to the end and I think it's important that we all put aside our own personal stuff and just really sacrifice for the team. Put the team first and allow us to come together as one unit so we can get a lot done this year."

That was then. Circumstances have changed. Atogwe has nothing to gain from showing up and risking potential injury after the team has dramatically downgraded its commitment to him. He'll now wait until June, when rules require the Rams to increase their offer into the $7 million range or let him become a free agent.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15453/low-tender-changes-atogwes-approach

This is getting interesting, the only team who has shown open interest has been Dallas. It appears if something will happen it will be after the draft. I think by then Miami would have address their safety situation, if not they will have a very nice Acorn out there.

SEE ALL>>>>> Here is a prefect example of not panicking, you wait bide your time and see what develops, not put a gun to your head if plan "A" Rolle or Plan "B" Clark does not work out..........

Earl Thomas would be nice, but I also liked what i saw from Nate Allen

SEE ALL>>>>> Here is a prefect example of not panicking, you wait bide your time and see what develops, not put a gun to your head if plan "A" Rolle or Plan "B" Clark does not work out..........

Yes but will we outbid other teams? Esp when Dallas has him on their radar? It's nice when you wait and someone becomes available...but only if you get him.

Dallas has yet to make a run at anyone in Free Agency, their biggest need is Safety. Personally I think they will adress it in the draft.

So you gonna wait that long and hope he is still out there..Draft a rookie in the later rounds and maybe this guy could be had..

I have to wonder - assuming we really "low-balled" Clark - if we were still planning on drafting a FS, either in the first or a sleeper pick we like later in the draft. FS is if anything a greater need - at this point - than ILB was before we signed Dansby. And, we made sure we locked up Dansby.

Wow...if I am the Dolphins I tell this guy's agent "Don't sign ANYTHING with the Rams, and in June if we still have a hole at that spot on our team we will make it worth your wait."

Not ethical, but I'm sure that sort of thing happens a lot.

If we don't re-sign JT, we really need someone like Darren Sharper out there for Veteran Leadership...

I really like Nate Allen and I think he can be had in the 2nd round. Another good one with a bit more size is Chad Jones. One of these guys should/could be there in the 2nd round and could start for us.

We all need to get over the myth of how we "lost" out on Ryan Clark.

Our 2nd offer was $2 Mill more then what he signed for with the Steelers. He just never waited the few extra hours for that offer.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524571/how-did-miami-dolphins-lose-out.html

IMO, with the problems he has had, I'd rather take Nate Allen or Chad Jones.

I would love to get Atogwe considering he is more of a compliment to Bell rather than a similar player like Wilson was. It all depends on how the Draft plays out though. If we take a Safety in the 1st, either Thomas or Berry, or even the 2nd, Allen most likely, then we will not need to take a stab at OJ (pun intended lol). But if we take a late rounder as depth or not at all, which i think would be a huge mistake, than you can bet that we either have a helluva lot of confidence in Clemons or we will snag that cover safety we so desperately need out of the FA leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom