ATTN People Blaming O-Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ATTN People Blaming O-Line

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Do you all remember the OL performance of years past? Feeley got roughly .5 seconds on almost every snap to do something back in 04.. The OL yesterday, while not spectacular, played decently for the majority of the game. Daunte had time to do something if his receivers got open, which they often did. It seems like many of you dont want to face reality and just want to heap the blame on the faceless and nameless OL instead of the star QB.. But anyone watching that debacle yesterday certainly must notice that Daunte DID have time to make plays, but for whatever reason, failed miserably.

Skape, your not taking into account Mularkey vs Linehan. They dont call the same plays even though they are using the same playbook. We ran ALOT of quick outs in the years past, how many quick outs did we run the last 2 weeks? Not very many at all. The O-line has been absolutly attrocious so far this year, and you cannot simply say that its Culpeppers fault because our previous QBs were sacked less often. The additions of Shelton and Bennie Anderson and the loss of McKinney have proven to be a major step backwards thus far, and thats quite sad IMO.

SkapePhin,

Actually, you're giving the O-Line too much credit. They missed blitz after blitz, and LJ Shelton got beaten on a consistent basis, but your point is valid, in that it wasn't just their fault. Culpepper held onto the ball too long, his recievers didn't come back to help him, and the coaches didn't adjust to a three step drop...

Phinz420 said:
Skape, your not taking into account Mularkey vs Linehan. They dont call the same plays even though they are using the same playbook. We ran ALOT of quick outs in the years past, how many quick outs did we run the last 2 weeks? Not very many at all. The O-line has been absolutly attrocious so far this year, and you cannot simply say that its Culpeppers fault because our previous QBs were sacked less often. The additions of Shelton and Bennie Anderson and the loss of McKinney have proven to be a major step backwards thus far, and thats quite sad IMO.

I am just talking about OL performance.. This is NOT the worst OL we have seen.. You want to talk about a BAD OL, talk about the OL during the Bengals game in 04.. This was a decent performance by the line. Ill admit that Mularkeys' playcalling is definately lacking, but it seems that Culpepper isnt running it effectively.. There are deep routes called, but Culpepper continues to throw a dump off to a back. And I have seen that Quick Screen (Or whatever that is where the receiver turns immediately and looks for the ball) at least 7 times in the past 2 weeks..

SkapePhin said:
Do you all remember the OL performance of years past? Feeley got roughly .5 seconds on almost every snap to do something back in 04.. The OL yesterday, while not spectacular, played decently for the majority of the game. Daunte had time to do something if his receivers got open, which they often did. It seems like many of you dont want to face reality and just want to heap the blame on the faceless and nameless OL instead of the star QB.. But anyone watching that debacle yesterday certainly must notice that Daunte DID have time to make plays, but for whatever reason, failed miserably.

Finally , someone watched the game properly.

theFreak41 said:
SkapePhin,

Actually, you're giving the O-Line too much credit. They missed blitz after blitz, and LJ Shelton got beaten on a consistent basis, but your point is valid, in that it wasn't just their fault. Culpepper held onto the ball too long, his recievers didn't come back to help him, and the coaches didn't adjust to a three step drop...

Yes, there were plays that were busted by the OL, but I didnt see them as CONSTANTLY getting beat like they had years prior. McMichael had problems blocking the blitzers, and there were other issues, but when all was said and done, Culpepper had MORE time generally than our prior QBs had and still managed to play terribly. I expected more from a "star" QB.

Phinz420 said:

The way Murlarkey is calling plays, it would have fit Brees style better then Culpepper.

And Culpepper showed no pocket awarness yesterday at all, and he could have gotten rid of the ball more then one time on those sacks.

SkapePhin said:

I disagree. While I dont think all the blame goes on the OL... 50% of it belongs to them. The other 50% is on Daunte. They were completely unprepared for the blitz in the first half... 1st quarter mainly. After that (5 sacks in the first 15 snaps!)... Pep didnt have much confidence in the line, and began to pay way too much attention to the pass rush instead of looking down field. He has to get rid of the ball quicker as well.

SkapePhin said:
I am just talking about OL performance.. This is NOT the worst OL we have seen.. You want to talk about a BAD OL, talk about the OL during the Bengals game in 04.. This was a decent performance by the line. Ill admit that Mularkeys' playcalling is definately lacking, but it seems that Culpepper isnt running it effectively.. There are deep routes called, but Culpepper continues to throw a dump off to a back. And I have seen that Quick Screen (Or whatever that is where the receiver turns immediately and looks for the ball) at least 7 times in the past 2 weeks..

I think London Fletcher said it best after the game. He said that Daunte didnt look like he was able to escape the pocket like he used to. I think it may be a bit early in his comeback to expect him to be as maneuverable as he was in Minnesota(He also played on turf there). I hope that they work with Daunte's decision making this week, and maybe he will be able to settle down in the pocket.

I wasnt reffering to the WR Screen passes, but to quick slant patterns. The screen passes are hit and miss, but against blitz packages the best routes possible are quick slants. You really cant be upset at culpepper for hitting his check-down during a blitz where the Oline doesnt even give the man more than a second after the snap.

Ya, but it seems like he would go to a dumpoff even when he was standing back there for awhile.. We took basically 2 shots downfield all day if I recall correctly.. Thats just bad.

And I agree, it does seem that his escapability is no longer what it was.

SkapePhin said:

The 04 o-line was one of the worst in the history of football. To say "hey, compared to that o-line, this one is decent" is rediculous. It was a poor showing by the line. Compare this performance to most o-lines, and they were below average...

FinNasty said:
I disagree. While I dont think all the blame goes on the OL... 50% of it belongs to them. The other 50% is on Daunte. They were completely unprepared for the blitz in the first half... 1st quarter mainly. After that (5 sacks in the first 15 snaps!)... Pep didnt have much confidence in the line, and began to pay way too much attention to the pass rush instead of looking down field. He has to get rid of the ball quicker as well.

Perfectly put, though I would say that it's more like 33% on the O-Line, 33% on Culpepper, and 33% on Mularkey's playcalling. Their is no reason we didn't use the three step drop, and their is no reason that Mularkey should be predictable going up against two teams that know exactly who he is...

As an OC, when I team is blitzing all the time, do you keep running the same plays???

No, you run some draws, throw some quick deep passes to th WR that is 1 on 1.

We did not adjust at all. Murlarkey is to blame, and I also blame Saban for not getting on the Mike and saying what the hell are you doing calling those plays.

The line just dosnt give cosistent play. but then again yesterday Cpep had all the time in the world and he throws an INT to two Bills. Cpep has alot of fault also making bad throws not finding recivers wes was open in a couple plays but he tries to throw to others that are covered.

but really truthfully what part of the Phins game has any cosistant play.

Oline - NO
QB- NO
Dline. NO they are running on them past two games
CBs-NO
Special Teams - NO

At least our RB are running hard trying to get what they can. Our WR dropping passes in their hands.

Guys it was an all around lose they had their heads up their ***

I wasnt reffering to the WR Screen passes, but to quick slant patterns. The screen passes are hit and miss, but against blitz packages the best routes possible are quick slants. You really cant be upset at culpepper for hitting his check-down during a blitz where the Oline doesnt even give the man more than a second after the snap.[/quote]

I believe that would be the QB responsibility to read the blitz and check off to the slant, which he never did.

Back
Top Bottom