ATTN People Blaming O-Line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ATTN People Blaming O-Line

NJFINSFAN1 said:
As an OC, when I team is blitzing all the time, do you keep running the same plays???

No, you run some draws, throw some quick deep passes to th WR that is 1 on 1.

We did not adjust at all. Murlarkey is to blame, and I also blame Saban for not getting on the Mike and saying what the hell are you doing calling those plays.

I'll say it again, it falls on the QB to read the blitz and make the adjustment at the line of scrimmage.

cellman007 said:
I believe that would be the QB responsibility to read the blitz and check off to the slant, which he never did.

Sure that is correct. When slant patterns are called in the anticipation of blitz schemes anyways. The playcalling was horrible, we kept using the same routes expecting things to open up and Buffalo just kept blitzing us relentlessly.

You also forget that it is just as much responsibility for the rest of the team to pick up blitzes early as it is the QB. The line/TE/RB obviously have to pick up the blocks immediatly(which wasnt happening), but on plays that take longer to develop for the Wideouts, those guys HAVE to create space and come backwards to give Culpepper somwhere to throw.

cellman007 said:
I believe that would be the QB responsibility to read the blitz and check off to the slant, which he never did.

That would be the Offensive Coordinator's job, as well. Those plays and audibles have to be in place and ready to go. They should also be called when their is no blitz, just to let the opponent know that they are prepared. We looked completely unprepared. Our offensive game plan was pathetic, our O-Line was a sieve, and Culpepper looked confused. The blame goes to everyone...

theFreak41 said:
That would be the Offensive Coordinator's job, as well. Those plays and audibles have to be in place and ready to go. They should also be called when their is no blitz, just to let the opponent know that they are prepared. We looked completely unprepared. Our offensive game plan was pathetic, our O-Line was a sieve, and Culpepper looked confused. The blame goes to everyone...

I find it hard to believe those audibles are not in place, this is the NFL, no way even Mularkey is that unprepared. Culpepper just held the ball too long at times and missed his reads.

The problem as I see it, is Culpeppers indecision and indecision is a virus that can run amuck and destroy any organization.

cellman007 said:
I find it hard to believe those audibles are not in place, this is the NFL, no way even Mularkey is that unprepared. Culpepper just held the ball too long at times and missed his reads.

Isn't it just a bit too convenient to blame it all on Pep? And where were the quick slant/three step drops if they were already in place? Remember, it's the OC's job to call the plays, as well. They were being blitzed consistently, yet he doesn't do a thing to combat it? Come on man, that's weak. Stop laying all this on one man. This was a team failure, from coaching all the way down...

theFreak41 said:
Isn't it just a bit too convenient to blame it all on Pep? And where were the quick slant/three step drops if they were already in place? Remember, it's the OC's job to call the plays, as well. They were being blitzed consistently, yet he doesn't do a thing to combat it? Come on man, that's weak. Stop laying all this on one man. This was a team failure, from coaching all the way down...

I'm not understanding these arguments, how long have you watched football? A QB when he breaks the huddle is supposed to look at the defense and make those reads at the line and check off to them, are you tell me the coaching staff has so much lack of faith in him he's not allowed to make these decisions like every other QB in the league? and trust me, we have those plays available to him, IT'S THE FREAKING NFL! You Culpepper apologists need to accept the fact he isn't playing well and there are serious issues with him, you do know he was horrible last year berfore he got hurt, and now that his mobility is gone, it's not gonna get any better.

cellman007 said:
You Culpepper apologists need to accept the fact he isn't playing well and there are serious issues with him, you do know he was horrible last year berfore he got hurt, and now that his mobility is gone, it's not gonna get any better.
Its not so much being a Culpepper apologist as it is having to beat irrational fans upside the head with the reality that our entire team was at fault for the loss.

Culpepper made mistakes, the Oline was a joke, our playcalling was beyond a joke. The only real bright spot of the game was Ronnie Brown and Wes Welker. For anyone to claim Culpepper is the reason we lost, is to show that they were completly oblivious to the game abd are just looking for a scape-goat.

Phinz420 said:
Its not so much being a Culpepper apologist as it is having to beat irrational fans upside the head with the reality that our entire team was at fault for the loss.

Culpepper made mistakes, the Oline was a joke, our playcalling was beyond a joke. The only real bright spot of the game was Ronnie Brown and Wes Welker. For anyone to claim Culpepper is the reason we lost, is to show that they were completly oblivious to the game are just looking for an easy scape-goat.

Every other position, with the exception of Culpepper, and possibly the OL, played well enough to win that game..

SkapePhin said:
Every other position, with the exception of Culpepper, and possibly the OL, played well enough to win that game..

McMike didnt block well, and dropped passes.

The front 7 also didnt play as well as it needed to against the run.

So the QB, OL, TE, and front 7 didnt play well enough to win. That is a good % of the team...

SkapePhin said:
Do you all remember the OL performance of years past? Feeley got roughly .5 seconds on almost every snap to do something back in 04.. The OL yesterday, while not spectacular, played decently for the majority of the game. Daunte had time to do something if his receivers got open, which they often did. It seems like many of you dont want to face reality and just want to heap the blame on the faceless and nameless OL instead of the star QB.. But anyone watching that debacle yesterday certainly must notice that Daunte DID have time to make plays, but for whatever reason, failed miserably.

I agree with you ,the Oline was far from great and was not solid the entire game but it was mainly Daunte making mistakes. Some people are desperately trying to believe that our new star QB isn't playing like a dud and that it's the fault of something else. Unfortunately if you paid attention to the game you surely saw Daunte looking lost even on the many plays where he did have time to throw.

SkapePhin said:

I would agree with that simply because you arent factoring in our Playcalling by just accusing "possitions".

Unfortunatly the OL is a very intricate part of success in the NFL, and we cant expect to win showing up like we did Sunday.

However, while I wouldnt equate the performances of the Defense & Wide Recievers to that of the Oline or Cpep, I think they need to work hard to ensure they can make things happen on the field. We werent able to pressure Losman enough, we couldnt stop crucial run plays, and our Wideouts dropped a few passes.

I honestly do not think that we could beat any decent team in the NFL if we play like this.

Got to agree with Skape here, I saw the same thing, the line gave CPep plenty of time to throw the rock but he just held onto the ball too long. Watching the game on tv didn't allow me to see if the WR were getting open, so some of the fault maybe on them. Daunte obviously had problem throwing the ball away, it almost seemed like he'd rather take sack instead of throwing a incompletion.

But I don't think it's that alarming, QBs are very rarely succesfull with new team, Mcnair isn't doing that good despite the 2 wins, ok Brees had a good game this week, ehuum, against a terrible Packers D. If we can be 4-4 by mid season and finish strong we'll be ok.

In my opinion what you had here simply was a blitzing buffalo defense and a confused miami o-line. After getting repeatedly sacked and beaten up and basically scrambling the whole first half, you could tell that culpepper was EXTREMELY gunshy in the pocket. This my friends, plays right into the opposing teams gameplan as they can just continue to disquise coverages and send zone blitzes, stunts, etc to confuse and already idiotic offensive line and get to the quarterback.

I truely believe that its all "timing" issues and continuity. For an offensive line to be successful you have to rely on the guy next to you to either help you out in a bad situation or work together to get the job done. What is see is a bunch of guys that have zero faith in each other and are basically all "out an an island" as none of them have the experience and feel for each other. This may explain why it took so long last year for our offense to click and the line to come together. That is the problem when you have no bonafide stars on your o-line. It will get better, but having an excessive merry-go-round of the o-line every week is NOT gonna do anything for this problem.

So it is what it is. We are an average football team here that needs to get better obviously. The problem is the time is NOW and we have no more room for errors. I will also say that until we put up some points and win a game, c-pepp is gonna continue to be mentally anguished. I think that the media and fans have put a tremendous amount of pressure on a guy that is coming back from a devastating knee injury and had to hear all year from media and fans how he was an integral part of destroying the vikings. If you had to listen to that crap and come to a team that hasn't had a qb since arguably the best quarterback to grace the football field, it puts huge pressure on you to succeed. He has yet to do that and I know it eats him up inside. Now he is just succumbing to the pressure that has been unjustly put on him. Also is his knee truly 100%....I don't buy into that.

Just remember that at the end of the day, the same fans that are crucifying him, will be the ones that praise him in the end. What you are seeing here is a team that needs to evolve over time. If this is still the case by week 10, then we may have a problem.

theFreak41 said:

It's a bit convenient to blame it on your new OC instead of the QB. We don't like it anymore than you do but I watched the game and I'm calling a spade a spade here. I'm baffled at how a guy who's had seasons like he's had can go out and play like that.

Back
Top Bottom