Aubrayo Franklin: With Nolan as our DC to we have a chance? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aubrayo Franklin: With Nolan as our DC to we have a chance?

He's 30 yrs old. Do you really see this organisation paying what could be top dollar for someone this age?

He's 30 yrs old. Do you really see this organisation paying what could be top dollar for someone this age?

At this position, yes. They just paid $8m and a late round pick for two years of 34-35 year old Jason Ferguson

Franklin probably won't become available though - he's one of the few real assets the 49ers have and they'll do whatever it takes to keep him

This is what I bet happens in terms of NT's this offseason:
Wilfork: Tagged
Franklin: Tagged
Pickett: Could be free on March 5th
Tank Johnson: Free
Jamal Williams: Does he get released?

I agree to bring Ferg back, but I hate justifying Soliai can do the job. He is waive player at best. Also, "finding a guy at the end of the draft" to help at NT is a weak strategy. If you find somebody at the point it is called luck. It has to be a priority position for the decision makers at this point.

This is what I bet happens in terms of NT's this offseason:
Wilfork: Tagged
Franklin: Tagged
Pickett: Could be free on March 5th
Tank Johnson: Free
Jamal Williams: Does he get released?

I agree to bring Ferg back, but I hate justifying Soliai can do the job. He is waive player at best. Also, "finding a guy at the end of the draft" to help at NT is a weak strategy. If you find somebody at the point it is called luck. It has to be a priority position for the decision makers at this point.

if you watched games when soliai took over after ferg went down, you wouldnt be too sad. soliai is good for rotation, not sure he is quite starting material yet, but he has time.

The run defense was not very good after the Carolina game.

At this position, yes. They just paid $8m and a late round pick for two years of 34-35 year old Jason Ferguson

Franklin probably won't become available though - he's one of the few real assets the 49ers have and they'll do whatever it takes to keep him

Even worse, in an un-capped year, the franchise tag really means nothing until the season starts. Teams can franchise a player just to keep them from getting away for nothing. Since players only get paid during the regular season, I am pretty sure that teams can then remove the tag at any time and not have to pay a dime.

Even worse, in an un-capped year, the franchise tag really means nothing until the season starts. Teams can franchise a player just to keep them from getting away for nothing. Since players only get paid during the regular season, I am pretty sure that teams can then remove the tag at any time and not have to pay a dime.

I have a hard time believing this. You are telling me that a team can just basically lie to a NFL player without repercussions? You are telling me a team can just play with a players life this way?
I would be inclined to think that once a player is tagged there is some paperwork that is required to be signed to make it legal. It is basically a contract within a contract. No way this can be true......link please?

From what i am reading it seems they tag a player and then the player has to sign it, and if they haven't signed it- within that time frame- the team can remove it before the player has a chance to sign it or before they decide to sign it.
http://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/blog/2009/04/seahawks_remove_franchise_tag_from_leroy_hill.html

I have a hard time believing this. You are telling me that a team can just basically lie to a NFL player without repercussions? You are telling me a team can just play with a players life this way?
I would be inclined to think that once a player is tagged there is some paperwork that is required to be signed to make it legal. It is basically a contract within a contract. No way this can be true......link please?

From what i am reading it seems they tag a player and then the player has to sign it, and if they haven't signed it- within that time frame- the team can remove it before the player has a chance to sign it or before they decide to sign it.
http://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/blog/2009/04/seahawks_remove_franchise_tag_from_leroy_hill.html

It was my recollection of the Seahawks/ LB-Leroy Hill thing that was behind my post. At the time, I thought it to be a really di*k move by the Hawks.

They frachised Hill in February and held him captive until they drafted his replacement, LB-Aaron Curry. They removed the tag once they knew they had Curry secured. The Hill tag cost them 8.3 mil vs. the cap, but once the tag on Hill was removed it immediately freed up the 8.3 mil and there was no cap hit or cost. It cost them nothing to do this and it screwed Hill, because the most lucritive part of FA had past and teams had now already drafted.

What's to stop a team from doing it this year and waiting to the very last minute to remove the tag since there is no salary cap ramifications or risky bonuses to deal with? Even if the player were to sign the franchise tender, couldn't the team just release the player right before the season starts since there is no bonus involved and none of the contract is guaranteed unless the player is actually playing games. The only thing that I don't know is if there would be a pro-rated pay for the player participating in training camp.

Back
Top Bottom