Avatar problems, no not the super tall smurfs. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Avatar problems, no not the super tall smurfs.

DisturbedShifty

Peace out
Reaction score
Ok, so I made myself a avatar that is an animated GIF. It looks like this
clear.gif

So I uploaded it from my computer with no problem except for the fact the eyes won't glow. So I uploaded the GIF to Image Shack and Photo Bucket. I copied the direct URL into the field for remote upload and both links came back as "remote file is to large". Which doesn't make since because I can upload the exact same GIF from my computer and it will save, it just doesn't animate. I also uploaded it to another forum just to make sure it works, and it worked fine there.

So any suggestions as to what went wrong?

Well, the restrictions for an avatar is 152 by 152 pixels or a max of 19.5 KB. The animated gif you have in this post, is 148 x 148, so you are OK there. However, it is 53.92 KB, which is way over the max limit and the reason you are getting the "remote file is to large".

The unanimated version you have currently as your avatar is not a gif file, but a jpeg file, which is the reason why it is not animated. It needs to be a gif file to be animated. The unanimated jpeg file you have is only 5.15 KB, which is why you can upload it.

My suggestion if you want to keep the animated gif file, is to somehow find a way to get your file size under 19.5 KB.

go for a smaller size (deminsion wise) and reduce some of the animation, the smaller size will help disguse the lesser detail of the animation.

I will try and resize it. But so you know, the site says you are allowed to upload a bigger file size than 19KB. So which one is correct?
clear.gif

Untitled.pngI dont' understand, I see your avatar is already what you wanted....

That's because I reduced the frames of animation, as you suggested. But I went ahead and posted because Nublar said that file sizes have to be 19.5 KB, but the site says bigger. I just wanted to make sure the site is correct.

Back
Top Bottom