Avoid the QB's in Round 1

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
2,989
Reaction score
0
This is NOT an AJ Feeley support post! :D

While one of the two QB's could be stars, neither will be a starter this year and both have fairly significant question-marks, imo. I also think there are QB's to be had in the 2nd (if we get a pick and are able to trade down) and 3rd rounds, if we want to go that route. There's a lot of excitement over the McPherson kid, with his athleticism, and he would be an intriguing selection in the 3rd round or, better (if he lasts), at the top of the 4th. There are others as well (Frye, Walter) who could develop. Much will be about what Nick sees as far as mental ability and intangibles.

There is little doubt that whomever we drafted at QB would be riding the pine this year - unless we lucked out and one of them turned out to be a Dan Marino (odds are slim and none).

Opinion stated, I will trust whatever Mr. Saban does with his pick.
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
I think Saban will be enticed Alex Smith.

However, I agree... whoever we draft whether it be a first round QB or a seventh round QB, they will be riding the pine next year.

For that reason I would love us to draft Ronnie Brown in the first, and Jason Campbell in the second... chuck in Roscoe Parrish in the third, and we have the makings of an awesome and explosive young offense.
 

nick1

I am Groot
Moderator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
26,351
Reaction score
6,314
Location
FL
finsnchips said:
I think Saban will be enticed Alex Smith.

However, I agree... whoever we draft whether it be a first round QB or a seventh round QB, they will be riding the pine next year.

For that reason I would love us to draft Ronnie Brown in the first, and Jason Campbell in the second... chuck in Roscoe Parrish in the third, and we have the makings of an awesome and explosive young offense.
have you givin up on Mike Williams? I know he is the guy you really want
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
nick19991 said:
have you givin up on Mike Williams? I know he is the guy you really want
I have almost given up hope of us drafting him, definitely not given up on him... I just can't see us doing it at #2... and if we trade down I think he'll be gone.

dw, I'll be doing cartwheels and have a jersey on order if we do draft him :D
 

finfan54

Griese Club
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
26,170
Reaction score
28
1. Charlie Frye (late first top second)
2. David Greene (third round)
3. Dan Orlovsky (fourth round)
4. Mcpherson
 

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
17,048
Reaction score
0
Your last sentence says it for me.In Saban we trust.
 

Firemedic18

Hammered
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
630
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
Northeast Ohio
I would go RB or WR in the first and hope that if we land a second round pick we use it on Charlie Frye. I watched the kid play at Akron and with his very good workout recently I think he would be a very nice fit for us.
 

nick1

I am Groot
Moderator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
26,351
Reaction score
6,314
Location
FL
finsnchips said:
I have almost given up hope of us drafting him, definitely not given up on him... I just can't see us doing it at #2... and if we trade down I think he'll be gone.

dw, I'll be doing cartwheels and have a jersey on order if we do draft him :D
and I'd do the same if we got Ronnie Brown
 

landshark44

Starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
185
Reaction score
15
Location
Brigantine, NJ
i want alex smith. our team is rebuilding, let's face it. we are old and we need to do it. we have a new coach and it will take at least two years before we are a good football team again. Everyone has questions in regards to their future in the nfl. smith has less than any of the other guys. he is big, smart, extremely inteligent, and most important, a winner who seldom makes mistakes. let's let him and our new coach grow up together.

we can always take arrington or barber or morency in the third. running backs are an afterthought in linehans offense anyway. if we were still gonna play wadball i would definitely want to take brown, but thankfully, the wadball days are over.
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
landshark44 said:
i want alex smith. our team is rebuilding, let's face it. we are old and we need to do it. we have a new coach and it will take at least two years before we are a good football team again. Everyone has questions in regards to their future in the nfl. smith has less than any of the other guys. he is big, smart, extremely inteligent, and most important, a winner who seldom makes mistakes. let's let him and our new coach grow up together.

we can always take arrington or barber or morency in the third. running backs are an afterthought in linehans offense anyway. if we were still gonna play wadball i would definitely want to take brown, but thankfully, the wadball days are over.
Smith is my #3 choice for the draft, behind MW#1 and Ronnie.

You are right - I've always liked and respected the new coach, new start, new QB approach, and I think it could work for us with Smith.
 
Top Bottom