Ayanbadejo Signing Just Smart Insurance....konrad Could Get Franchise Tag... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ayanbadejo Signing Just Smart Insurance....konrad Could Get Franchise Tag...

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello.... I got 5 e-mails today from people who thought that just because Spielman signed back FB FEMI AYANBADEJO.....it could be that the Dolphins just want to go ahead and let ROB KONRAD go to the highest bidder out there in Free Agency....and we can save some much needed cap space for other positions. Not true at all.....matter of fact.....Its a great depth move by Spielman....who was aware that FEMI was still out there, and who wanted another chance to show this coaching staff what he can do. Plus....I did hear that the JETS were also very interested in signing up FEMI also.....so in essence.....SPielman was smart to act now....I mean why for the same peanut salary should Speilman let Terry Bradway of the Jets sign up FEMI....and SPIELMAN also is playing his cards right here as well.....looking at FEMI as a low cost insurance policy....if....and IMO it is a long-shot.....if KONRAD leaves town.
If KONRAD signs...as DYER already is in the fold.....its still going to be extremely difficult for FEMI to make this team.....like I said....probably only an injury would have to happen for him to make it. FEMI is not much of a Lead Blocker...that is his weakness.....but the pass-catching ability is certainly there. I personally like this move.....Spielman has nothing to lose here.

And finally..... I want to say that it is not out of the realm of possibility to see the DOlphins put the FRANCHISE TAG on Konrad. He is there main FA to sign back....and if the Dolphins want to pay him within the top 5 FB's in the NFL....to prevent him from leaving....if they fear a team like the Eagles want him bad enough...then they just might...and I say might....put the tag on him. I personally do not think it is going to come down to this.....but I just want to say....that IF the Dolphins use the Franchise tag.....its certainly not going to be on CB PAUL MIRANDA.....its going to be on KONRAD.

Anyway.....Good move by RICK.....as this has absoulutely, positively, no bearing on ROB KONRAD's status...at all. I expect all 3 of these FB's to be at mini-camp....competing for 2 spots...with FEMI once again....the long-shot. And maybe even the Maryland kid will be back again.....MATT KALAPINSKI...who knows....and who cares.

DCH

The Franchise tender for FB's is less than $1.5 million. Probably closer to $1 million. His cap number for 2003 would likely be in that range anyways, thus this is a very good move to prevent the loss of Konrad.

Teams have a 2 week window at the start of each season in order to sign Franchised players to long term deals and NOT lose the Franchise tag in future years. If not signed, the player must sign 1 yr tender and then negotiate LT deal after July 15th and then a team retains tag for future use.

THANKS....NOW TELL ME HOW MUCH...

Thanks for that very quick reply... now you can all see my point.....the DOlphins have a lot of leverage here....because its technically one of the lowest costing positions...when using the Franchise Label. Konrad is not the best FB in the league....but he is definately within the Top 10.....now do the DOlphins want to pay him within the TOP 5? Is he as good as UFA JON RITCHIE? Is he as good as LORENZO NEAL....catching yes....blocking, hell no. The DOlphins really have to compare KONRADS stats....and abilities to just about the Top 20 FB''s and put a monetary value on ROB...based on those comps. ANd if those comps are right up there with the best of them......then it may have to come down to the franchise tag....if negotiations with DREW go nowhere....

Can someone plese post what KONRAD's base salary was last season?? And lets play WANN-SPEIL....and give him a raise.....to what salary? Is he worth 1.5 million a season....for like someone said before....possibly 3-4 catches a game? WOuld you guys put the tag on him.....if things got bad.....or just say....we can get someone else to do what KONRAD does??

Good Discussion...
DCH

Salary: $506,500

Amortization: $237,000

Cap: $743,500

Maybe the possibility of using the "tag" would expedite negotiations

I don't think it would be a good idea to franchise Konrad.

First, if you could get him signed him to a market value contract, it would be at a slightly cheaper price than the franchise number.

Second, it's a buyers market at FB this off-season. With six top FBs being free agents it is certain to drive the price downward. Also Konrad is not the number one FB on the market, he's above average at best.

Third, you could find a FB in the draft in the later rounds that could compete and get a starting job right away. Drafting the right player could open up a nearly $1M against what is going to be a tight cap situation.

Where Konrad ranks on my list of signing our own players:
1. Ogunleye
2. Freeman
3. Haley
4. Konrad

I hope Konrad does return next year but not if we have to overpay.

Clump...where did you get the info for the rest of the cap numbers?

Anyone know of a site that has all the info that figures into the cap cost, not just the base salary?

Clump knows more about the Dolphins and their cap numbers, salaries, etc. than I do!!

Come on.. Admit you are a Dolphin fan already Clump.. We won't tell your Buffalonian buddies.. I promise!

Plus, You get better chicks as a Phin fan! ;)

Dem fightin' wurds ;)

Plus, You get better chicks as a Phin fan!

But I don't like silicon :lol:

Just keep track of the cap for the Bills and then started doing the same for the Fins.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I saw a lot of blubber dressed in Miami uniforms in the stands at Pro-Player :rolleyes:

Have your eyes checked. That dark green belongs to the Jets fans that invade Miami :D

When I went to the Buffalo game in October, I thought it was "Bring your ugly cousin to the Pro" Day... No offense, but those Buffalonians appeared to be some long-forgotten species of human..

The only thing that pained my eyes more on that day was Ray Lucas' performance...

Originally posted by SkapePhin
When I went to the Buffalo game in October, I thought it was "Bring your ugly cousin to the Pro" Day... No offense, but those Buffalonians appeared to be some long-forgotten species of human..

The only thing that pained my eyes more on that day was Ray Lucas' performance...

well then stop lookin at the Fishy fans in the stands :lol:

Yes - but

Originally posted by Aqua
Second, it's a buyers market at FB this off-season. With six top FBs being free agents it is certain to drive the price downward.

Though you don't seem to have a very high opinion of Rob's abilities or value to the team, that's fine, to each his own.

But think a little more about your statement that 6 top FB's on the market will drive the price down. Though that would be the case if your perspective is that one team (the Dolphins) are the only ones hiring, in reality there are also 6 teams out there that just lost a top FB (not to mention the Eagles who are looking for one), making the situation just as competitive as if it were only a few.

Back
Top Bottom