Back to 1983 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Back to 1983

brent

Starter
Reaction score
Brent the Historian checking in. Let me take you back to '83. We were in neutral on offense like we are this year while the Defense was the only thing keeping us over .500 much like this year as well. After the 6th game we made a change at Wide Out (Duper)and QB (Rookie Marino)which jump started the offense. Well we won something like 9 out of the last 10 to finish 12-4. I beleive we need a change at the Wide Out (Sam Simmons for DT) and QB (Griese for Fielder).

wtf? Tompson is showing up... it's ONLY SIX GAMES! just because it worked with a future hall of fame QB (and should be a future HOF WR) doesn't mean it'll work now.

why do you expect griese to be, this great QB? he didn't get it done in denver with his probowl offense!

Smith, Mccaffrey, Sharpe, Portis, best Oline the last 7 years, etc...
AWESOME PROBOWL TALENT.. where was his superbowl? where's his excuse?

the gameplanning is the same week in and week out.. no QB past or present can fix this, only NT.

LET ME TAKE YOU BACK. when JJ took over he stripped marino of his offense and johnson turned it into a running and conservative offense. did marino struggle? YES! he's dan marino the greatest QB ever to play the game (thats fact) and he couldn't get passed a bunch of 9-7 seasons! did anyone blame him? no because it wasn't his fault, like this siutation now isn't fiedlers. fiedler is no marino, but norv has taken everything that worked with jay last season (108 QB raiting the first 6 starts) and tossed it.

let me take you into the present... the offense is the same. dan marino in all his glory couldn't do any better. he proved it in his johnson era. it wasn't his fault... it was the gameplan. like todays situation.

In '83 Marino was a Rookie and no where as good as he just one year later. Ditto for Duper. Fielder and DT will not make it though the season, mark this post. They are not NFL starters. Teams make changes all the time to jumo start their offense. Alot of people point to Jay's record as a starter, but please! You could have winning record as an NFL QB with our defense the last four seasons! P.S .........WTF

Damn, somebody took this thing personally. :eek:

On a lighter note. My 15 year old summed it right up. He said "Fielder throws a football like most people throw a Frisbee, it just goes up and floats right back down". That was a totally unbiased opinion.

Think about it. How many other teams could Jay start for? My Guess about 5 or 6. Ouch.

Originally posted by i2panzer
wtf? Tompson is showing up... it's ONLY SIX GAMES! just because it worked with a future hall of fame QB (and should be a future HOF WR) doesn't mean it'll work now.

why do you expect griese to be, this great QB? he didn't get it done in denver with his probowl offense!

Smith, Mccaffrey, Sharpe, Portis, best Oline the last 7 years, etc...
AWESOME PROBOWL TALENT.. where was his superbowl? where's his excuse?

the gameplanning is the same week in and week out.. no QB past or present can fix this, only NT.

LET ME TAKE YOU BACK. when JJ took over he stripped marino of his offense and johnson turned it into a running and conservative offense. did marino struggle? YES! he's dan marino the greatest QB ever to play the game (thats fact) and he couldn't get passed a bunch of 9-7 seasons! did anyone blame him? no because it wasn't his fault, like this siutation now isn't fiedlers. fiedler is no marino, but norv has taken everything that worked with jay last season (108 QB raiting the first 6 starts) and tossed it.

let me take you into the present... the offense is the same. dan marino in all his glory couldn't do any better. he proved it in his johnson era. it wasn't his fault... it was the gameplan. like todays situation.

Dude you need a beer. He is just stating what happen in 84. Pretty cool actually I didnt remember that until now.

Originally posted by brent
In '83 Marino was a Rookie and no where as good as he just one year later. Ditto for Duper. Fielder and DT will not make it though the season, mark this post. They are not NFL starters. Teams make changes all the time to jumo start their offense. Alot of people point to Jay's record as a starter, but please! You could have winning record as an NFL QB with our defense the last four seasons! P.S .........WTF

thats funny because when JF doesn't start miami has a winning % of .300, the defense was still playing when jay was hurt right?

Jay's longball has improved. he had a bunch of great passes in the pats game. the key is to continue. can he? let's find out.

wasn't Zack Thomas a 5th round pick? wasn't Terrell Davis a 5th round pick? wasn't Tom Brady a 6th round pick? wasn't Rod Smith undrafted?

don't tell me a player cannot be a starter. it takes effort and DT has shown he wants to be better. he's a standup guy and wants to be good.

Can Jay start elsewhere? being close to age 32, i don't think he'd get many nods. but he would be the best backup in the NFL no questions asked. he is a very good starter too. if you have noticed this season, only 2 of jay's picks have been 10 yards or under. which means he is getting picked with the deepball. does he needs to improve? yes he does. has any of those picks hurt us? no...

explain fiedlers 108QB rating in his first 6 starts last season? it was because the offense was all out. now we're keeping it bottled up, until November/december so we don't have a collapse.

the bottom line is, if griese starts it will be ONLY due to health reasons. i don't trust griese against the colts. he's not good enough at this point to beat them (no physically, but he hasn't been with the offense very long... 3 weeks).
Fiedler gets the nod, i'm pretty sure. and if you don't like it, to bad... theres nothing you or i can do about it.

Wannstedt's job is on the line this season. the best man will play, theres no question about it.

Originally posted by brent
Brent the Historian checking in. Let me take you back to '83. We were in neutral on offense like we are this year while the Defense was the only thing keeping us over .500 much like this year as well. After the 6th game we made a change at Wide Out (Duper)and QB (Rookie Marino)which jump started the offense. Well we won something like 9 out of the last 10 to finish 12-4. I beleive we need a change at the Wide Out (Sam Simmons for DT) and QB (Griese for Fielder).

I understand that your comparing the offensive situation between the '83 team, and the '03 team, but I can't help but reject the indirect comparison of God, opps, I mean, Dan Marino and Brian Griese. Just an after thought.

One more thing.... I hope the Chargers wear thier powder blue jerseys agaist us monday night, that has to be the nicest looking uniform in all of football.

Re: Re: Back to 1983

Originally posted by spazzolian
One more thing.... I hope the Chargers wear thier powder blue jerseys agaist us monday night, that has to be the nicest looking uniform in all of football.

For me, it ranks up there with the Packers old "Bad News Bears" all yellow uniforms. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom