Backup QBs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Backup QBs

Prophet

Starter
Reaction score
Only 25% of the NFL teams are not in panic mode if their starter goes down with injury. I will not go into a detailed breakdown, but I think most NFL fans will agree with the categorizations.

Following are the current depth charts of the 32 NFL teams and my rankings alphabetized within category.

The following teams should be ok if their starter gets injured.

Why? Simply because the backups have NFL experience and will be able to do a reasonable job if given the reigns.

Atlanta Falcons
Michael Vick Matt Schaub D.J. Shockley/Bryan Randall

Baltimore Ravens
Steve McNair Kyle Boller Brian St. Pierre/Drew Olson

Buffalo Bills
Kelly Holcomb J.P. Losman Craig Nall/Tory Woodbury

Chicago Bears
Rex Grossman Brian Griese Kyle Orton/B.J. Symons

New Orleans Saints
Drew Brees Todd Bouman Jamie Martin/Adrian McPherson

New York Jets
Chad Pennington Patrick Ramsey Brooks Bollinger/Kellen Clemens

Philadelphia Eagles
Donovan McNabb Jeff Garcia Koy Detmer/Timmy Chang

San Francisco 49ers
Alex D. Smith Trent Dilfer Jesse Palmer

Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer.

Why? They do not possess the experience that the first tier teams have, but have shown glimpses of promise during their career in college or in the professional ranks.

Denver Broncos
Jake Plummer Jay Cutler Bradlee Van Pelt/Preston Parsons

Pittsburgh Steelers
Ben Roethlisberger Charlie Batch Omar Jacobs

San Diego Chargers
Philip Rivers A.J. Feeley Charlie Whitehurst/Brett Elliott

Seattle Seahawks
Matt Hasselbeck Seneca Wallace David Greene/Gibran Hamdan

St. Louis Rams
Marc Bulger Gus Frerotte Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tennessee Titans
Billy Volek Vince Young Matt Mauck/Cody Hodges

There is always next season.

Why? There is no reason to believe the backups will do a good job at this point in their careers as an NFL starter or they have proven that they do not have what it takes. Sure, some could rise from the ashes or rise to the occasion, but the odds are stacked against them.

Arizona Cardinals
Kurt Warner John Navarre Matt Leinart/Rohan Davey

Carolina Panthers
Jake Delhomme Chris Weinke Stefan LeFors/Brett Basanez

Cincinnati Bengals
Carson Palmer Doug Johnson Anthony Wright

Dallas Cowboys
Drew Bledsoe Tony Romo Drew Henson/Matt Baker

Detroit Lions
Jon Kitna Josh McCown Dan Orlovsky

Green Bay Packers
Brett Favre Aaron Rodgers Ingle Martin

Houston Texans
David Carr Sage Rosenfels Cody Pickett/Quinton Porter

Indianapolis Colts
Peyton Manning Jim Sorgi Shaun King/Josh Betts

Jacksonville Jaguars
Byron Leftwich David Garrard Quinn Gray/Paul Pinegar

Kansas City Chiefs
Trent Green Damon Huard Brodie Croyle/Casey Printers

Miami Dolphins
Daunte Culpepper Joey Harrington Cleo Lemon/Brock Berlin

Minnesota Vikings
Brad Johnson Mike McMahon J.T. O'Sullivan/Tarvaris Jackson

New England Patriots
Tom Brady Matt Cassel Todd Mortensen/Corey Bramlet

New York Giants
Eli Manning Rob Johnson Tim Hasselbeck/Jared Lorenzen

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chris Simms Luke McCown Tim Rattay/Bruce Gradkowski / Jay Fiedler

Washington Redskins
Mark Brunell Jason Campbell Todd Collins/Casey Bramlet

Hopeless.

This category consists of backups and starters that have either proven they don’t have what it takes or they are too young and inexperienced.

Cleveland Browns
Charlie Frye Ken Dorsey Derek Anderson/Lang Campbell

Oakland Raiders
Aaron Brooks Marques Tuiasosopo Andrew Walter/Reggie Robertson

There you have it. My detail-less analysis. If you don’t like it, print it off and wipe your *** with it.

Most of the list is good, but not sure about a few:

Jets are basically hanging on a thread (Chad's shoulder) this year. If Chad goes down we are worse off then we were last year with Baby New Year. Ramsey has not looked good in camp at all.

The Bills should be in the hopeless category. Both QBs haven't shown anything.

I think the Seahawks go into the "Better Luck Next Year" if Matt goes down, so does their season.

BZ

I dont think AJ Feeley could be a good quarterback unless well pigs fly.

Buffalo Bills

your kiddin right? they should be in atleast theres always next year, atleast. Holcomb has never shown he can be consistant when starting..they are a "Hopeless" in my book

New Orleans Saints

Bouman? no...Their Hopeless.

San Francisco 49ers

Why are they here? Trent Dilfer isnt great, and Smith sucks. If they got Charlie frye in hopeless, their are definitly hopeless.

Why? They do not possess the experience that the first tier teams have, but have shown glimpses of promise during their career in college or in the professional ranks.

San Diego Chargers

you serious? so they think Feeley is better then the likes of Aaron Rodgers, David Garrard, Josh McCown, Joey Harrington, Matt Cassel, Luke McCown, and Jason Campbell? :sidelol:

Tennessee Titans

I dont think Vince is going to be great in the NFL period, but if he is, it will be in a couple years. They should in the "there is always next season"

Why? There is no reason to believe the backups will do a good job at this point in their careers as an NFL starter or they have proven that they do not have what it takes. Sure, some could rise from the ashes or rise to the occasion, but the odds are stacked against them.

Arizona Cardinals

I agree with them being here cause i think Matt will go through some tough stretches, but they have Vince Young in team could do OK category, but have Matt Leinart here?

Detroit Lions

McCown is a good back up to me. I would put them in the Team would be OK category.

Green Bay Packers

Rodgers is going to be good, and with a couple years of sitting and learning, if Favre gets hurt, id put them in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer."

Jacksonville Jaguars

Garrard is a good back up. Team would be fine with him. horrible spot.

Miami Dolphins

im not a big fan of Harrington, but definitly should be in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer." category.

Washington Redskins

they should be in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer." category. hell, they might be better with Campbell.

Hopeless.

This category consists of backups and starters that have either proven they don’t have what it takes or they are too young and inexperienced.

Cleveland Browns

what? Frye is going to be a good QB......this one baffles me with the likes of Alex Smith not down here with him.

this list is horrible

:shakeno::shakeno::shakeno:

Nappy Roots said:
Buffalo Bills

your kiddin right? they should be in atleast theres always next year, atleast. Holcomb has never shown he can be consistant when starting..they are a "Hopeless" in my book

New Orleans Saints

Bouman? no...Their Hopeless.

San Francisco 49ers

Why are they here? Trent Dilfer isnt great, and Smith sucks. If they got Charlie frye in hopeless, their are definitly hopeless.

San Diego Chargers

you serious? so they think Feeley is better then the likes of Aaron Rodgers, David Garrard, Josh McCown, Joey Harrington, Matt Cassel, Luke McCown, and Jason Campbell? :sidelol:

Tennessee Titans

I dont think Vince is going to be great in the NFL period, but if he is, it will be in a couple years. They should in the "there is always next season"

Arizona Cardinals

I agree with them being here cause i think Matt will go through some tough stretches, but they have Vince Young in team could do OK category, but have Matt Leinart here?

Detroit Lions

McCown is a good back up to me. I would put them in the Team would be OK category.

Green Bay Packers

Rodgers is going to be good, and with a couple years of sitting and learning, if Favre gets hurt, id put them in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer."

Jacksonville Jaguars

Garrard is a good back up. Team would be fine with him. horrible spot.

Miami Dolphins

im not a big fan of Harrington, but definitly should be in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer." category.

Washington Redskins

they should be in the "Teams that could do ok with a little luck, karma, and prayer." category. hell, they might be better with Campbell.

Hopeless.

Cleveland Browns

what? Frye is going to be a good QB......this one baffles me with the likes of Alex Smith not down here with him.

this list is horrible

:shakeno::shakeno::shakeno:

Preach it brother nappy :pope:

I am not sure of Joey will be any better here in Miami than he was in Detroit but I think he is a decent backup to DC and no worse than Gus/AJ/Jay Fiedler.

I don't get the Jags one at all. David Garrard can get the job done on the field and he should have started for them in the playoffs last year. This one completely baffles me.

Sirspud said:
I don't get the Jags one at all. David Garrard can get the job done on the field and he should have started for them in the playoffs last year. This one completely baffles me.

I agree with this as well... these rankings are not very accurate IMO..

TractorTraylor said:
I agree with this as well... these rankings are not very accurate IMO..

Not very accurate.... Hell I'd even go as far as saying he pulled them out of his A double s.:shakeno:

Only 25% of the NFL teams are not in panic mode if their starter goes down with injury. I will not go into a detailed breakdown, but I think most NFL fans will agree with the categorizations.

Guess again a prophet your not most nfl fans think your smoking the ricky weed. :goof:

MR NFLFAN said:
Not very accurate.... Hell I'd even go as far as saying he pulled them out of his A double s.:shakeno:

Guess again a prophet your not most nfl fans think your smoking the ricky weed. :goof:

Like I said, "There you have it. My detail-less analysis. If you don’t like it, print it off and wipe your *** with it."

A few of you made some good points.

I just posted the depth charts for the various team and categorized them for discussion. You don't agree with it, oh well, don't give yourself so much credit...I hardly think you are the spokesman for all NFL fans.

There is no way to prove that the categorizations are correct or incorrect. You can throw a bunch of statistics into the mix, but the breakdown still ends up being mostly subjective.

The real point of the post was to show that the majority of teams are screwed if their starting QB gets injured, unlike some sports journalists like to say. Categorize them however you wish. It's a message board. If it makes you feel like more of a man to rip on the poster than you have bigger issues than wondering if this one-minute categorization of backup QBs is correct or not.

Prophet said:
Like I said, "There you have it. My detail-less analysis. If you don’t like it, print it off and wipe your *** with it."

I just posted the depth charts for the various team and categorized them for discussion. You don't agree with it, oh well, don't give yourself so much credit...I hardly think you are the spokesman for all NFL fans.

There is no way to prove that the categorizations are correct or incorrect. You can throw a bunch of statistics into the mix, but the breakdown still ends up being mostly subjective.

The real point of the post was to show that the majority of teams are screwed if their starting QB gets injured, unlike some sports journalists like to say. Categorize them however you wish. It's a message board. If it makes you feel like more of a man to rip on the poster than you have bigger issues than wondering if this one-minute categorization of backup QBs is correct or not.

You probably should find something better suited to you to waste your minute on. The Buffalo bills ..would be ok if their starter went down...lmao That was funny seeing they haven't yet named their starter that plus they all are terrible. They aren't ok anytime with any of those QB's. :sidelol:

Prophet said:

man i didnt mean to offend you if i did. I thought that was an article. not what you wrote...

You should have a category for teams that are hopeless with their starter, much less a backup.

Back
Top Bottom