Bad for the League? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bad for the League?

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
First, I want to say 'Thanks' to the fans of other teams that have stopped by to express their concerns about this. There have been some very well-spoken people on with insightful comments, and many from division rivals that we may only see in smack forums otherwise...

I think that Ricky has done a great deal of bridge burning here and will find it hard to come back from. I expecially think this paragraph in the Herald will cause issues:

Society and the NFL say he can't smoke marijuana, for example, and that's one of the many rules of his confining workplace he will no longer abide. He says without apology he has gotten around NFL drug tests with a special liquid players all over the league consume by the gallon before tests to avoid detection. He says he simply didn't drink it before getting busted in 2002, and that he still hasn't heard on his appeal of a second failed test, but that the recent marijuana issues have nothing to do with his decision to retire beyond confirming how stifling celebrity can be and how ill-fitting the NFL is for him.

If there is, in fact, a special liquid, I'm sure other players and the league itself does not want it to be public knowledge. The NFL takes pride in its substance abuse policy, while other sports (MLB especially) are struggling to come up with a policy that has the necessary teeth. Williams' admission to smoking pot will almost certainly cause problems with the league office were he to play again.

In the short term, I expect the league to try and ignore the problem or push it aside with veiled comments on Ricky's mental state. But it will be interesting to see if anything comes of it in the long term.

I also agree that RW owes me (a fan) absolutely nothing, but he certainly owed his teammates something -- especially after his comments to the players in June. I think the whole team is going to take it to a new level to show him, and everyone else that this team is bigger than Ricky Williams.

If that liquid isnt common knowledge in all of sports, I'd bet my balls that the Portland Trailblazers entire team are on the cell phone talking to Ricky right now.:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom