Baltimore loss = Miami gain? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baltimore loss = Miami gain?

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
at GM of course in the form of Director of Player Personnel, Phil Savage. The guy's track record speaks for itself. No team in the NFL has drafted as well in the last 10+ years as the Ravens organization has. Ozzie Newsome and Co. run one helluva personnel machine and I would love nothing better than getting a piece of that action for Miami. Since Oz obviously aint going any where, Mr.Savage becomes the next best thing.

Check out the link below.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/content/pdf/media_guide/001_ 2003_Admin.pdf

As you can see after cheaking out the link that the majority of the Ravens prowbowlers were drafted in the 1st round, something Miami has had precious few selections of (1st rounders that is) in recent years. The Ricky Williams trade aside, which I loved (of course), Miami has done nothing with their 1st round pick since Shula selected Troy Vincent and that counts JJ's selection of Baylor turd Daryl Gardener. The fact is Miami's (long term) future is at stake with the this GM selection. Let's get it right now and not have to go through this process in another 5-7 years....

Not to go to far off topic, but keep in mind our we used our first round pick in 1999 to draft (in 98) the best corner in football.

Surtain rocks

I have no problem with him nor JJ's decision to trade his 1st rounder for him so he could select him in the 2nd round in 98 (and pay him less money, a nice side effect to trading out of the 1st round). I'd just like to have a guy in here that knows talent and the value of having a 1st round pick each and every year. And I know that they (B'more) is without their 2004 1st rounder (in a trade with NE to select Boller in 03') but the Phil Savage's track record stands by itself. The guy knows talent. That coupled with the likelihood we'd have our first rounder for a few years in a row suggests to me that we could upgrade this team where it needs to be, through the draft. That and only that is the way to ensure a team is great for years to come. Free agents are fine and all but they're there to fill in the gaps and push you over the top.

How's it working for us these days?

Exactly....

Originally posted by Canuck
at GM of course in the form of Director of Player Personnel, Phil Savage. The guy's track record speaks for itself. No team in the NFL has drafted as well in the last 10+ years as the Ravens organization has. Ozzie Newsome and Co. run one helluva personnel machine and I would love nothing better than getting a piece of that action for Miami. Since Oz obviously aint going any where, Mr.Savage becomes the next best thing.

Check out the link below.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/content/pdf/media_guide/001_ 2003_Admin.pdf

As you can see after cheaking out the link that the majority of the Ravens prowbowlers were drafted in the 1st round, something Miami has had precious few selections of (1st rounders that is) in recent years. The Ricky Williams trade aside, which I loved (of course), Miami has done nothing with their 1st round pick since Shula selected Troy Vincent and that counts JJ's selection of Baylor turd Daryl Gardener. The fact is Miami's (long term) future is at stake with the this GM selection. Let's get it right now and not have to go through this process in another 5-7 years....

Sounds great and to boot check out my "QB option" post. Perhaps they will go hand in hand.:hi5:

Re: Surtain rocks

I have no problem with him nor JJ's decision to trade his 1st rounder for him so he could select him in the 2nd round in 98 (and pay him less money, a nice side effect to trading out of the 1st round). I'd just like to have a guy in here that knows talent and the value of having a 1st round pick each and every year. And I know that they (B'more) is without their 2004 1st rounder (in a trade with NE to select Boller in 03') but the Phil Savage's track record stands by itself. The guy knows talent. That coupled with the likelihood we'd have our first rounder for a few years in a row suggests to me that we could upgrade this team where it needs to be, through the draft. That and only that is the way to ensure a team is great for years to come. Free agents are fine and all but they're there to fill in the gaps and push you over the top.

How's it working for us these days?

Exactly....

So in hindsight you wouldnt have traded for Ricky Williams?

Ricky was a great trade

Originally posted by Stamos

So in hindsight you wouldnt have traded for Ricky Williams?

so I'm more than pleased with that deal, although I'd prefer he had last year's stats this year and this year's stats last year. That'd would've given us a 1st rounder in 03'. Can't do anything about that.....but we can make a smart decision at GM and Savage would be one.

He and Spielman have the same job for their respective teams yet who has the better track record? Hell, even when we do draft in the 1st we end up taking a bum like Fletcher. And I know what some will say, "Wannstedt made that pick", and he did but who set up the draft board for Wanny to choose him? Rick Spielman. I don't know how exactly Wannspiel's relationship worked but I look forward to it coming to an end and since Wanny aint going anywhere that means Rick's gotta go. I just hope we bring in a young up-n-comer with a great track record like Savage to lead this team's personnel dept for years to come.....

Maybe I got lost while I was reading but tell again how the Ravens losing was any help for the Dolphins

By making Phil Savage availabe for an interview...

You can't interview executives from other teams that are still in the playoffs.

Phil Savage is a gamble on greatness GM candidate.

BRING HIM IN!

Re: By making Phil Savage availabe for an interview...

Originally posted by RHoffman
You can't interview executives from other teams that are still in the playoffs.

Phil Savage is a gamble on greatness GM candidate.

BRING HIM IN!

Thanks. I guess I forgot to explain that part.

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
Maybe I got lost while I was reading but tell again how the Ravens losing was any help for the Dolphins

Who said anything about a game, the title refers to the fact that if we get Savage that is Baltimore's loss and our gain. Now that Baltimore is out of the Playoffs can we interview him?

Cheers

Paul

Originally posted by Stamos
Not to go to far off topic, but keep in mind our we used our first round pick in 1999 to draft (in 98) the best corner in football.

No, it was our 2000 1st rnd to Carolina to move up to get Surtain in 98. Problem with that deal was that we gave away a #1 to get a guy in the 2nd rnd. Smart thing to have done was to have taken Surtain in the 1st rnd instead of the ever-famous John Avery, and then we would have kept out 1st rnd pick in 2000.

Actually, that's how I meant it

Originally posted by MNFINFAN

Who said anything about a game, the title refers to the fact that if we get Savage that is Baltimore's loss and our gain. Now that Baltimore is out of the Playoffs can we interview him?

Cheers

Paul

Baltimore's loss (to the Titans), meant that Miami was free to interview one of their front office guys now as they were no longer in the playoffs. Phil Savage is one of the hot personel guys out there that's going to be a GM in this league someday. Miami needs to give him an interview. If they don't, they'd be completely idiotic. Landing him would be our gain, hence the title of this thread.

ahh, :goof: :hitself: well I still think my explanation for your title makes sense to me, it definitely a double loss for Baltimore, they could lose a great FO man and they are also out of the playoffs, that is almost enough to make me go :woot:

Re: Ricky was a great trade

so I'm more than pleased with that deal, although I'd prefer he had last year's stats this year and this year's stats last year. That'd would've given us a 1st rounder in 03'. Can't do anything about that.....but we can make a smart decision at GM and Savage would be one.

He and Spielman have the same job for their respective teams yet who has the better track record? Hell, even when we do draft in the 1st we end up taking a bum like Fletcher. And I know what some will say, "Wannstedt made that pick", and he did but who set up the draft board for Wanny to choose him? Rick Spielman. I don't know how exactly Wannspiel's relationship worked but I look forward to it coming to an end and since Wanny aint going anywhere that means Rick's gotta go. I just hope we bring in a young up-n-comer with a great track record like Savage to lead this team's personnel dept for years to come.....

Neither one has a track record because neither one has had final say in the draft. The advantage that Spielman has is that he has done what a GM does, but he just hasn't had the final say.

Back
Top Bottom