ban of ephedra | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ban of ephedra

stan marino

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will effect the dolphins at all? i havent really seen any stories about the dolphins and this drug. hope thats a good thing:) with all these players coming back from injury they may have been using something like this though wouldnt they? sure hope not

Ephedra is actually an over the counter herbal supplement that comes in products like Metabolife, Xenadrine, and Ripped Fuel. When you get it in these products it's called Ma-Huang (spell?) which is simply the naturally occurring form of ephedra.

The reason guys take it is because it increases your metabolism quite a bit and causes you to burn fat like nothing [legal] out there. The reason it does this however, is due to the fact that it speeds up your heart rate, accelerates your blood pressure, and essentially causes your body to go into fast forward so thing just burn off.

The problem therein lies in the fact that when everything speeds up like that, your body goes into somewhat of a "fight of flight†mode where things start working much differently due to the fact that endorphins are released(I'm not going to go into how all of this works since it would take forever.) By taking epedra you are overloading your body with with chemicals which can cause the body to literally shut down, which inevitably causes death. Other side effects are: stroke, heart attack, tachycardia (accelerated heart rate), hypertension, and the big one, permanent and irreversible penile dysfunction!!! (willy don't work no' mo')

Finally, if all that weren't enough, just so you know exactly what epedra really is, it's the precursor chemical to meth-amphetamine. So when anyone takes this stuff they are literally taking a lower dose of a highly addictive and exceptionally dangerous chemical, and for any of us that have ever had to deal with tweakers (the common term for speed addicts) you know that this is something you would never want to be, or be associated with.

I'm really glad a major organization in the U.S. finally took a stand on this crap. Canada has already banned it, and I can't understand why the FDA allows it to continue to be sold over the counter to anyone- including kids- who walk up and want to buy some.

I'll bet you at least 10-15 Dolphins are on the stuff. I couldn't even begin to assume what players may or may not be using it, but just the mere numbers being thrown around, you can't ignore the fact that players are still using it.

You wont hear anything about any teams using this stuff unless somebody gets caught, or like with the Giants, someboy within the organization speaks up about it.

I think it would be ignorant to think nobody in Miami isn't on the stuff(not suggesting anybody implied they weren't), I just hope none of them get caught, and then realize how dangerous it is and stops using it.

sounds like it should of been banned a long time ago.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
I'll bet you at least 10-15 Dolphins are on the stuff.

You better hope not. Memo's went out early last year that this stuff was going on the ban list and players have recieved major major reminders about this. If any player is caught with it in their system this offseason they won't be here for the first 4 games this year.

Van.....
It's the same as pot. You KNOW you're not supposed to do it, but it doesn't always stop you. I think we'd all be very NAIVE to think that nobody on the team is using ephedra. We don't want to admit it because they are Dolphins, but reality is, players will use anything to gain an advantage, even if the means are illeagal.

A lot of players just assume that theywont get caught(read that in an article, of course not a fact, but i buy into it) so they keep on using it.

We all hope that nobody is using it, but we have to face the facts, it happens, and we just have to hope that nobody gets caught.

Like I said before, I couldn't even imagine what players are, could be any of them.

And like I said you better hope they aren't because they won't be a dolphin for the first 4 games this season if they are.

Back
Top Bottom