Barry Jackson: Early peek at Dolphins' options in 2013 draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Early peek at Dolphins' options in 2013 draft

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
### If you’re hoping the Dolphins have a wide selection of receiver and cornerback options in their likely first-round draft range, you’ll be disappointed.

With the playoffs highly unlikely, here’s some early buzz on April’s Draft, when Miami likely will pick between eighth and 20th:

### Mel Kiper Jr. rates only one receiver and one cornerback among the top 25 prospects on ESPN.com, including juniors who haven’t declared.

The receiver is Tennessee’s 6-3 Cordarrelle Patterson, who hasn’t said if he’s returning to school. Rated 11th overall by Kiper, he had 46 catches for 778 yards and has “size, speed, body control, hands and go-get it ability and can physically overpower smaller corners,” Kiper said. “Has the ceiling of a very good No. 1.”

The next-best receiver prospect might be his teammate, Tennessee’s Justin Hunter, or California’s Keenan Allen, both rated in the 20s by several analysts.

### There’s one other stretch-the-field option rated as a potential top 20 pick: Notre Dame 6-6 junior tight end Tyler Eifert, rated 17th by Kiper. He’s a converted receiver and “has the pass catching skills of a natural receiver,” Kiper said. “Can be split out and stretch the seams.”

### The only cornerback considered a top 20 pick is Alabama junior Dee Milliner, ranked 15th overall by Kiper. “Not an elite cover corner like [Dallas Cowboys and former LSU standout] Morris Claiborne, but he’s a really good player,” Todd McShay said on ESPN.com.

### Among the other players Kiper has ranked between 5 and 25, five are offensive linemen (hard to justify taking one unless Miami doesn’t keep Jake Long); four are 295-to-360 pound defensive tackles (not a Dolphins need); and three are defensive ends (could be a need, depending on what Miami does with Randy Starks and Jared Odrick).

There are also three linebackers (not a pressing need); one safety (Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro, rated 20th by Kiper); and two quarterbacks (Southern California’s Matt Barkley at 24, West Virginia’s Geno Smith at 25).

### If Miami parts way with Long, the best offensive tackle prospects are juniors: Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel (ranked No. 5 by Kiper) and Michigan’s Taylor Lewan (No. 9).

Kiper’s other top-20 offensive line prospects are guards: Alabama’s Chance Warmack (seventh) and North Carolina’s Jonathan Cooper (12th). If Jeff Ireland drafted a guard in the first round, Dolphins fans would chase him with pitchforks.

### If Starks signs elsewhere, Miami could move Odrick to tackle and explore drafting an end such as LSU’s Barkevious Mingo (ranked sixth by Kiper/four sacks) or his teammate, Sam Montgomery (19th/seven sacks) or FSU junior Bjoern Werner (ranked eighth by Kiper/13 sacks). Texas A&M’s Damontre Moore (ranked fourth by Kiper/12.5 sacks) could be off the board by Miami’s pick.

McShay includes three other defensive ends among his top 21 prospects: FSU’s Cornellius Carradine (13th/11 sacks), Oregon’s Deon Jordan (14th/five sacks) and Auburn’s Corey Lemonier (21st, 5.5 sacks).

"Werner looked dominant against UF, with 3.5 sacks,” Kiper said. “High ceiling. I worry about how Mingo disappears for stretches. Montgomery is more productive than Mingo but ceiling isn’t as high.”

### The three linebackers that Kiper rates between 5 and 20 are Georgia junior Alec Ogletree (10th), UCLA junior Anthony Barr (13th) and Rutgers’ Khaseem Greene (22nd). The Dolphins like their linebackers, but the 6-4 Barr (11.5 sacks) is intriguing – “a rising star and devastating pass rusher,” Kiper said.

### FYI: Kiper’s top five overall picks are Georgia junior outside linebacker Jarvis Jones and Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and Texas A&M teammates Moore and Joeckel, both juniors.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...draft-fins-hurricanes-news.html#storylink=cpy

This is based off of Kiper and McShay and we all know evaluations can change some with the combine. If receivers that have been productive in college test well at the combine they will move up...heck even receivers that aren't that productive that test well move up in the case of Stephen Hill last year.

Allen is being underrated here. He'd be a fine pick for Miami - much better than Hunter, and debatable with Patterson.

Werner would be a prize pick for Miami. Perfect compliment to Wake.

Allen is being underrated here. He'd be a fine pick for Miami - much better than Hunter, and debatable with Patterson.

Werner would be a prize pick for Miami. Perfect compliment to Wake.
Hard to get a fair evaluation of Allen given the QB (his brother) was awful. They ran a lot of basic routes, a lot of sitting in zones because of his limitations. I agree Allen is being undervalued here but I highly doubt GMs around the league all agree with Kiper. Given that Allen won't be in a bowl game this year (neither will Quinton Patton which I'm really not happy about) and he's said he leaning towards coming back for his senior year it all may be for nothing any way. This WR class could be very thin if the underclassman don't declare.

Jonathan Cooper is about as athletic of a guard as I've seen. He's a good fit for zone. The issue with him is that he struggles to sit down and anchor in pass protection.

Warmack is a good fit for either scheme. He essentially plays in a zone scheme under Stoutland and Joe Pendry before he retired. Although we also utilize the concept of "power", where he'll pull while getting a kick-out by the H-back or TE.

Reality is, one of these offensive lineman could legitimately be the best talent on the board, and the best fit when a team like Miami goes on the clock if Joeckel, Warmack, and Cooper are still there.

Hard to get a fair evaluation of Allen given the QB (his brother) was awful. They ran a lot of basic routes, a lot of sitting in zones because of his limitations. I agree Allen is being undervalued here but I highly doubt GMs around the league all agree with Kiper. Given that Allen won't be in a bowl game this year (neither will Quinton Patton which I'm really not happy about) and he's said he leaning towards coming back for his senior year it all may be for nothing any way. This WR class could be very thin if the underclassman don't declare.

Quick question; do you think Quinton Patton could fall to our top 2nd round pick? Would you take him there? I like what I've seen of him thus far.

Jonathan Cooper is about as athletic of a guard as I've seen. He's a good fit for zone. The issue with him is that he struggles to sit down and anchor in pass protection.

Warmack is a good fit for either scheme. He essentially plays in a zone scheme under Stoutland and Joe Pendry before he retired. Although we also utilize the concept of "power", where he'll pull while getting a kick-out by the H-back or TE.

Reality is, one of these offensive lineman could legitimately be the best talent on the board, and the best fit when a team like Miami goes on the clock if Joeckel, Warmack, and Cooper are still there.

Pouncey would look a lot better with a running mate. If Ireland knew what he was doing, I'd have more confidence in a plan that involved drafting a dynamic OG, then finding a couple of quality WR's, at least one pass rusher, and at least once CB. I think Ireland has a really bad sense of where the talent swells at each position are in any given draft. He doesn't seem to draft or trade accordingly - trading up for L. Miller is a great example (given the backs still available).

Eifert couild be the guy. We know how much Philibin utilized the tight end position at Green Bay. He doesn't have that luxury with Miami and I don't think the team will keep Fasano. Clay flashes here and there, but consistency is an issue. We have no idea about Egnew -- I hope to see him play down the stretch. If the Dolphins draft in the middle of round 1, I think Eifert is definitely more in play than offensive linemen -- unless Matthews somehow fell there. He's a Texas A'M guy and a fantastic fit for what Miami does on offense.

Quick question; do you think Quinton Patton could fall to our top 2nd round pick? Would you take him there? I like what I've seen of him thus far.

I don't think that Patton is going to run a sub 4.5 40, and given his smaller school status, he most likely will be available in the 2nd round. I imagine how he plays in the Senior Bowl will go a long way in how teams move him up or down the draft board. For my money, he is the best consolation prize were Stedman Bailey being gone by the time we are on the clock in round 2. Though his top end speed isn't elite, his ability to get in and out of breaks without really having to gear down is superb. He runs the comeback extremely well, which we have seen is one of Tannehill's stronger throws. He has run every route in the route tree, is a hands catcher, and most of all, his character is A+.

Where you have a story of Stedman Bailey stealing a $4.99 bottle of Theraflu and find yourself scratching your head, you have a story of Patton giving a Make-A-Wish kid his $300 gift card from Best Buy during the bowl last year. I really like the kid. A&M tried every corner on their roster, and he torched them. Everyone knows of Johnthan Banks glowing comments about Patton. He makes plays, and is in reality has everything that Jeff Ireland covets when he speaks of "The Makeup" every year when telling us of his selections. This is one guy I can all but guarantee is completely on their radar, and will be involved in almost all of their draft scenarios.

Pouncey would look a lot better with a running mate. If Ireland knew what he was doing, I'd have more confidence in a plan that involved drafting a dynamic OG, then finding a couple of quality WR's, at least one pass rusher, and at least once CB. I think Ireland has a really bad sense of where the talent swells at each position are in any given draft. He doesn't seem to draft or trade accordingly - trading up for L. Miller is a great example (given the backs still available).

Head scratching that at a time where almost everyone seems to understand the devaluation of the RB position, Ireland has in 2 consecutive drafts traded picks to move up and select RB's. He has a bad tendency to draft for need, you have to remember last year at this time, we did not have any RB due to the lockout. I think when they convened at the end of day 2 last year, they saw Miller was still on the board, valued his explosion, similarities to Reggie Bush, a poor man's version albeit, factored in Bush having a year left on his deal, and felt they needed to pull the trigger. Not saying it was the right or wrong decision, however I do like Lamar Miller.

His tendency to draft to need may actually help us out this year though. I think almost universally we all agree our needs are WR, CB, pass rusher, and OLine. As stubborn as Ireland has proved to be, he has to understand the only way an OLine pick high in the draft will not be met with pitchforks and an angry mob (and most importantly, an owner who has made clear a top tier WR is a MUST) will be if he is to already have a Mike Wallace on the roster. If we have a Wallace come day 1 of the draft, I think he can slide a Jake Matthews pick in there in round 1, especially if Jake Long is no longer a Miami Dolphin.

I think many have correctly theorized Ireland bought himself more time with the Tannehill pick, however, the owner is no dummy, and sees that if Tannehill has ANY chance of fully maximizing his potential, he needs to have a legit supporting cast around him. If Ireland tries to draft in the trenches, allot resources in FA to low end signings, and this offense scores 19 points a game in the 2013 season, I can all but guarantee you that Ross moves in a different direction in 2014. Not to mention Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are not going to sit in these year end roster evaluations and not stress the importance of upgrading the skill positions in the offseason. Think of the difference an average of 7 more points a game does for the dynamic of this team. So while we are all frustrated now, I highly, highly doubt Ireland goes down in flames with his stubborness being the main reason.

I don't think that Patton is going to run a sub 4.5 40, and given his smaller school status, he most likely will be available in the 2nd round. I imagine how he plays in the Senior Bowl will go a long way in how teams move him up or down the draft board. For my money, he is the best consolation prize were Stedman Bailey being gone by the time we are on the clock in round 2. Though his top end speed isn't elite, his ability to get in and out of breaks without really having to gear down is superb. He runs the comeback extremely well, which we have seen is one of Tannehill's stronger throws. He has run every route in the route tree, is a hands catcher, and most of all, his character is A+.

Where you have a story of Stedman Bailey stealing a $4.99 bottle of Theraflu and find yourself scratching your head, you have a story of Patton giving a Make-A-Wish kid his $300 gift card from Best Buy during the bowl last year. I really like the kid. A&M tried every corner on their roster, and he torched them. Everyone knows of Johnthan Banks glowing comments about Patton. He makes plays, and is in reality has everything that Jeff Ireland covets when he speaks of "The Makeup" every year when telling us of his selections. This is one guy I can all but guarantee is completely on their radar, and will be involved in almost all of their draft scenarios.

Looks like a 4.45 guy to me. He gets separation, he makes YAC, and he can beat his man deep. Kind of reminds me of R. Wayne.

if it's left guard warmack and cooper trump everyone else for me...that barr kid for ucla the more i look the more interesting he becomes...

kiper needs to get off the pain pills alec ogletree is not worthy of a top 10 prospect grade...not when the guys tackling form is so poor...tackles everything high...can really tell that kids new to the position...reminds me of a safety playing lb when i watch him

eiferts gonna help someone from the jump...more physical and better in line than fleener was as a prospect more willing to fight for the ball also...and gives you that flex out and boundary mismatch on the outside...nice looking seam te there

Hoops, weren't you big on Hawthorne out of Illinois?

yes i like him...i like his size i like his special teams ability and i really like his feet and how fluid he looks in his pedal...i think he's underrated...a target in the 3rd round

yes i like him...i like his size i like his special teams ability and i really like his feet and how fluid he looks in his pedal...i think he's underrated...a target in the 3rd round

From what I've seen, he looks like a really good athlete. Agreed. I brought it up, though, because Patton really did him dirty. Pretty high-end competition for that kind of performance from Patton.

pattons a nice prospect i think he's a 4.5 guy probably i'm watchin his san jose st tape well i've finished the first half not shown much yet...at times he strikes me as a little raw...

Back
Top Bottom