Barry Jackson Sport Buzz Draft Notes 4/23/19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sport Buzz Draft Notes 4/23/19

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
▪ NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said several teams are trying to trade back and that Houston would be an ideal partner for those teams because the Texans are looking to move up for offensive line help.

Hypothetically, Houston could trade Miami the 23rd pick to move to 13, and give Miami one its two second-round picks (54th or 55) and a a third rounder this year (86th) or next year. I wonder if Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffrey Simmons - a top 10 talent whose stock could drop because of a torn ACL - will drop to 23. Mel Kiper has him dropping to the mid-20s.

Keep in mind that Texas general manager Brian Gaine and Grier worked together six years with the Dolphins (2008-2013).

▪ It wouldn’t be surprising if the Dolphins have the option to pick one of the best pass rushers in the draft, Mississippi State’s Montez Sweat, at 13 because some teams have removed him from their draft board because of a heart murmur. Jeremiah has him slipping to 17th.

“I have not talked to anybody on Montez Sweat that has completely removed him from their board. But I have talked to some teams that say, we have a little bit of a concern,” Jeremiah said.

“The reason why I have him sliding down a little bit is not because of anything he’s done as a player or because you’re worried he’s failed a bunch of physicals,” Jeremiah added. “I have him sliding down a little bit because if you feel somebody else is in that same range or same ballpark, it can be a little bit of a tiebreaker. But I don’t anticipate you’re going to see a major fall with him.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article229382024.html

No way a 2019 3rd as well

It’d be 23 and their 2nd and their 2020 4th at best

Which is still a haul. I’m not loving this receiver and running back. In this draft? If we trade back and pulled off the very plausible scenario of the Houston Trade, we could land three top prospects on the defensive line. In a single draft.

And you want to draft a speedy receiver to... play 5th?

Agree with CANDolphan, a trade like that will probably bring in their 23rd, and their 2nd. I would still do it cause there are going to be several good players there that would have a legit chance of starting.

No way do I want Simmons on this team. Not after seeing that video of him beating on that woman

I'm more than a little baffled by the notion that Miami can't afford to spend picks on WR, because it needs to address the DL. Let's review Miami's situation:

1. They need to add at least 3 starters to the OL by the beginning of 2020.
2. They need to find their QB by the start of 2020.
3. They have nothing but complementary players at WR - and TE and RB for that matter.
4. They won't be a team with a chance to win anything until 2021.
5. If the Offense/QB don't succeed, it won't matter how good the Defense is.
6. Offense is more stable year over year than Defense.
7. Miami should prioritize whatever they think puts the chosen QB in the best situation to succeed.
8. There is real urgency to solidify the OL and skill positions, because they will affect the development of the QB.
9. There is no urgency to build the DL, because it won't matter until 2021 anyway. Nothing bad will happen if Miami's D is terrible in 2019 and/or 2020.
10. DB is more important than DL.

Miami should look for falling defenders - particularly DB's - but it should prioritize OL and WR/TE. The implementation will depend on who is available, and I'm a little surprised to see them mention speed as something they're looking to add to WR. They need a player who can absorb volume while remaining efficient. They have plenty of fast WR's who can give you the occasional big play. Harry and AJ Brown seem like the most obvious fits to me, with Isabella as the darkhorse, and he obviously has the speed they say they want. I'd be a little surprised to see them add another small receiver, but Isabella separates himself from Miami's current WR's due to his ability to win all over the field and absorb that volume. If Miami doesn't address WR until Day 3, Stanley Morgan Jr makes the most sense to me.

WR is tough, because it's a boom/bust position. Relative to other positions, a lot has to go right for them to hit, so you have to have some fortitude when they miss, because not having a quality group isn't really an option for a team that wants to be any good. A great TE can offset this somewhat, but it's even harder to hit on a TE that's so good he offsets the need for very good receivers.

Ideally, Miami adds at least 2 starters to the OL in 2019 (I'd be thrilled with Lindstrom, McCoy, and a developmental OT like Nijman) and one of Harry, Brown, Isabella, or Morgan Jr in 2019 then adds a WR like Tylan Wallace, Tyler Johnson, or Laviska Shenault with the 33rd pick in 2020 (listing WR's who have some chance to be there at the top of the 2nd - seems Jeudy and Lamb def won't be there).

I also think Miami should look hard at Foster Moreau or Drew Sample as TE's who shouldn't be too expensive and who complement Gesicki. The overarching point is that Miami has a limited window to create a favorable situation for the new QB and a much wider window to build the Defense.

I'm more than a little baffled by the notion that Miami can't afford to spend picks on WR, because it needs to address the DL. Let's review Miami's situation:

3. They have nothing but complementary players at WR - and TE and RB for that matter.
7. Miami should prioritize whatever they think puts the chosen QB in the best situation to succeed.
8. There is real urgency to solidify the OL and skill positions, because they will affect the development of the QB.
9. There is no urgency to build the DL, because it won't matter until 2021 anyway. Nothing bad will happen if Miami's D is terrible in 2019 and/or 2020.

Miami should look for falling defenders - particularly DB's - but it should prioritize OL and WR/TE. The implementation will depend on who is available, and I'm a little surprised to see them mention speed as something they're looking to add to WR. They need a player who can absorb volume while remaining efficient. They have plenty of fast WR's who can give you the occasional big play. Harry and AJ Brown seem like the most obvious fits to me, with Isabella as the darkhorse, and he obviously has the speed they say they want. I'd be a little surprised to see them add another small receiver, but Isabella separates himself from Miami's current WR's due to his ability to win all over the field and absorb that volume. If Miami doesn't address WR until Day 3, Stanley Morgan Jr makes the most sense to me.

WR is tough, because it's a boom/bust position. Relative to other positions, a lot has to go right for them to hit, so you have to have some fortitude when they miss, because not having a quality group isn't really an option for a team that wants to be any good. A great TE can offset this somewhat, but it's even harder to hit on a TE that's so good he offsets the need for very good receivers.

Ideally, Miami adds at least 2 starters to the OL in 2019 (I'd be thrilled with Lindstrom, McCoy, and a developmental OT like Nijman) and one of Harry, Brown, Isabella, or Morgan Jr in 2019 then adds a WR like Tylan Wallace, Tyler Johnson, or Laviska Shenault with the 33rd pick in 2020 (listing WR's who have some chance to be there at the top of the 2nd - seems Jeudy and Lamb def won't be there).

I also think Miami should look hard at Foster Moreau or Drew Sample as TE's who shouldn't be too expensive and who complement Gesicki. The overarching point is that Miami has a limited window to create a favorable situation for the new QB and a much wider window to build the Defense.
:hclap:

This is exactly why I always favor hiring an offensive coach as the head coach. If he has success you don't have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator to another team as a head coach and having to redo your offensive system after the switch. The head coach will basically be the coordinator and always have his system established regardless of which coaches come and go. Defense is much easier to fix and adjust after such coaching changes.

This is exactly why I always favor hiring an offensive coach as the head coach. If he has success you don't have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator to another team as a head coach and having to redo your offensive system after the switch. The head coach will basically be the coordinator and always have his system established regardless of which coaches come and go. Defense is much easier to fix and adjust after such coaching changes.
If you find a great QB and have a defensive head coach, then you dont have to worry about the OC.

New England has a history of using complementary players at RB pretty much exclusively with a few exceptions. So I'm not bothered there.

Still I'd add someone. If Miami want a BenJarvus Green-Ellis, because they feel good about their pass catchers in Kenyan Drake and Kalen Ballage, then Jeremy Cox of ODU would be a perfect fit. He can also catch the football pretty well, by the way.

I suspect neither the Dolphins nor the New England Patriots would allow Memphis RB Tony Pollard to go very far down the board into undrafted territory. They value pass catching abilities too much to let a guy with his natural route running and movement skills, not to mention big play-making abilities as a ball carrier, to escape notice. I am utterly floored by his explosive qualities as both a ball carrier, route runner, and pass catcher. He's strong, too. This is a Kenyan Drake clone. Maybe even better.

I also love Darwin Thompson in the late stages of the draft or, even better, as a UDFA. I think he's a phenomenal specimen and severely underrated player in the mold of a Phillip Lindsay, a guy I loved last year. Doesn't have the blocking chops of Lindsay, which were a big part of the argument in favor of Phillip last year. But he's a great runner, physically impressive and strong for his size, and a compelling pass catcher.

But I'm also here for the Duke Johnson trade when/if the Browns finally break down on it. I'm pretty certain Duke himself is trying to force his way to Miami. This system they're importing from New England depends a great deal on the pass catching and mismatch abilities of running backs in the passing game. So that should always be explored when opportunities arise.

I think Barry comes off a little too hard-line on the wide receivers but I do agree with him in the main. This doesn't feel like the time or the class to do anything with it in the first four rounds. Unless you get a swipe at Hakeem Butler or Terry McLaurin at a compelling draft price. Otherwise I would be content attempting to strike gold with undrafted guys like Keelan Doss, Tyre Brady, Olamide Zacchaeus, Travis Fulgham, Johnnie Dixon, or John Ursua.

Remember that they have an underrated player they pulled from the AAF that could figure into this mix: Reece Horn

Pollard is an interesting player. I'm just not sure if he'd be better as a WR or RB.

When I first created my threads about a year ago - my comment next to Tony Pollard was "Most dangerous kick returner I've seen since C.J. Spiller".

He's electric with the football in his hands.

Pollard is an interesting player. I'm just not sure if he'd be better as a WR or RB.

When I first created my threads about a year ago - my comment next to Tony Pollard was "Most dangerous kick returner I've seen since C.J. Spiller".

He's electric with the football in his hands.

I don't know what you think but I look at him and he's like a Kenyan Drake clone. He's behind Darrell Henderson who will be one of the top drafted RBs in the class, and I don't account that much of a sin. But because of Henderson's presence, Pollard has had to end up in this Cadillac Williams/Ronnie Brown thing where Pollard has been forced to become an all-around player. Electric route runner, decent hands, explosive with the football in his hands in EVERY phase (kick returner, pass catcher, running back), he's become a compelling blocker on run plays as they use lots off multiple-RB personnel, and he even runs the Wildcat like Ronnie Brown did in Miami.

There's not a back in this draft I have looked at and found to be more complete than Pollard, and I mean that. Tack on his explosiveness, his 4.37 speed, the strength at his size...I'm surprised I don't hear more about him. It's no wonder Gil Brandt put him in his Top 150.

No way do I want Simmons on this team. Not after seeing that video of him beating on that woman
That was him at 16, allegedly. Still, I cant argue with your pov cause I too have that standard.

edit: *off topic*

If the Dolphins want him, I don’t think they’ll be able to trade down and get Simmons. I saw an article where McShay has him as a top 3 talent in the draft. If most teams feel that way, they’ll start to consider his actual talent rather than the incident he was involved in and his knee injury.

Last edited:
Simmons with or without a tradeback would be a great pick, imo, at 13.

He made mistakes at 16 years old, grew from them, and has made the most of his 2nd chance.

He's a 5 star recruit, and the extraneous reasons as to why he'd be available at our pick make him a fantastic target.

I'd just as soon not have guys like that playing for my team. it makes it hard to cheer for them.

Great prospect but a serious injury and violence against a woman would force me to pass.

Give me a guy who is almost as good who is not a scumbag.

Back
Top Bottom