Barry Jackson Sports Buzz 8-4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sports Buzz 8-4

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Injuries are mounting for the Dolphins, with more than a dozen players sidelined altogether, limited in their participation or forced to leave during Monday’s practice.

Among the ramifications: The Dolphins are using two undrafted rookie quarterbacks behind Ryan Tannehill, finished Monday’s practice with only two healthy tight ends (Dion Sims and Kyle Miller) and practiced Monday without five key offensive players.

Among key starters sidelined besides Mike Pouncey (hip surgery), the good news is injuries are not considered serious for defensive end Olivier Vernon, who left practice after his back locked up on him; tight end Charles Clay (knee) and receiver Mike Wallace (hamstring).

Monday began with the Dolphins announcing that five players would miss multiple days with injuries: Clay, who had to leave Saturday’s scrimmage early but said afterward it wasn’t serious; quarterback Pat Devlin (hamstring), kicker Caleb Sturgis (groin), cornerback Jalil Brown (knee) and receiver Stephen Williams (ankle).

Those five joined Wallace, running back Knowshon Moreno (knee) and Pouncey (hip) as players who missed practice altogether, though Wallace caught some passes on the sideline.

Five others were limited: quarterback Matt Moore (sore shoulder), who threw some passes but none in 11 on 11 drills; running back Lamar Miller (got some 11 on 11 work); receiver Brian Hartline, who said afterward he has no ongoing medical issues; linebacker Jelani Jenkins (leg) and rookie tight end Arthur Lynch, who has been limited throughout camp with an undisclosed injury.

Six players were forced to leave during practice: Vernon, offensive lineman Nate Garner (forearm strain, not serious), tight end Michael Egnew (tested for a concussion, according to my colleague Armando Salguero), defensive tackle Randy Starks (ankle injury but returned to practice and said afterward he’s fine), running back Daniel Thomas (held area under his buttocks) and tight end Gator Hoskins (leg).

Didn’t look very good,” Philbin said of his offense. “We want to draw the defense off-sides with their different cadences and we jumped twice. They ran a blitz, we didn’t pick up very well… You can’t win in football doing that stuff.”

### Not a good day for Ryan Tannehill. His badly overthrown pass to Rishard Matthews was intercepted by Will Davis, who fumbled while going in for a touchdown on the return. (Safety Walt Aikens recovered it for a touchdown.)

Tannehill threw two more poorly-thrown interceptions during 7-on-7 drills, to cornerback Cortland Finnegan (who returned it for a touchdown) and safety Reshad Jones.

And Lobato also threw an interception, off a tipped ball, to Aikens.

### Philbin, on rookie seventh-round defensive end Terrence Fede: “I told him one day he had three penalties in the practice and he looked at me like I had three heads. [But] you love the enthusiasm. He’s getting better. Plays fast.”

### Philbin on undrafted rookie running back Damien Williams, who has impressed aside from being stripped of the ball by Jordan Tripp on Saturday: “He’s done a lot of good things. A lot of the opportunities he had Saturday, he looked very good. He looked natural, he looked physical running the ball. When it popped on the ground, it doesn’t work to his favor. But you can’t over-react to one particular play.”

Mike Gillislee also has been coming on in the running back competition. By the way, Daniel Thomas allowed Philip Wheeler to beat him on a blitz, for a sack, not long before his injury.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

What is up with the offseason program around here? This many injured players is a sign that they are not reporting in top shape.

Daniel thomas held area under his butt... why not say hamstring did they forget to pay attention in human anatomy

"By the way, Daniel Thomas allowed Philip Wheeler to beat him on a blitz, for a sack, not long before his injury."

Classic Dana Thomas...

Sounds like go/go-go is gone. Or at least they are experimenting with getting rid of it.

We want to draw the defense off-sides with their different cadences and we jumped twice.

Sounds like go/go-go is gone. Or at least they are experimenting with getting rid of it.

It has to be gone after all the flack they took! When a player comes out and says something about it you know it's ****ed up.

Daniel thomas held area under his butt... why not say hamstring did they forget to pay attention in human anatomy

Actually I think he sh&t himself and he was grabbing it to keep it from running down his leg....

picture of white pants dude with dripping brown soiled stain needed here...

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

btw, are these injuries or are they just precautious nicks? I mean, last week they made it sound like Brenner was done for the year.

What is up with the offseason program around here? This many injured players is a sign that they are not reporting in top shape.

Or guys are just getting hurt? I don't care what kind of shape you're in, injuries are inevitable.

Diane Thomas has never been any good. He plays like he is 5'8" 190 lbs. I would rather give the carries to our rookies.

Back
Top Bottom