Bears tell Redskins draft pick swap won't do | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bears tell Redskins draft pick swap won't do

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
A proposed trade sending Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs to the Redskins is in trouble after the Bears turned down Washington's proposed swap of draft picks.

Last week, the Redskins made a one-time offer for Briggs, offering to swap their first-round draft pick, the sixth overall, for the Bears' No. 31 overall pick. The Redskins offer was take-it-or-leave it, and they told the Bears that they wanted an answer no later than Tuesday.

The Redskins got their answer Tuesday afternoon when Bears general manager Jerry Angelo contacted the Redskins and told them he wasn't ready to make the simple swap of first-round draft choices.

The Bears had been hinting they might ask for an additional Redskins linebacker to make the trade, but the Redskins made it clear to the Bears on Monday that if they asked for more than the proposed draft-pick swap, the trade talks were over.

Briggs, the Bears' franchise player, reacted angrily to receiving the team's franchise tag and at first said he'd never play for the Bears again. He is now threatening to hold out the first 10 regular season games of 2007. The Bears want to keep Briggs for one season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964

I'm glad JA didn't kiss around Washington. The Skins have been infamous pushovers in the off-season these last few years and Angelo wasn't about to change that image. I have a feeling Washington will come back offering Rocky McIntosh, which is what JA wanted.

I don't really get what Angelo is doing here. On one hand he feels Briggs is not worth a long term contract but then he says that in a trade he is worth more than a 24 spot move-up in round one. It seems like he wants it both ways.

Skins have like 3 picks in the whole draft. Bears are morons for not doing the trade. Anybody behind that line and Urlacher will look like a pro-bowler. With the 6th pick, you could have picked up Quinn.

We would've/will trade out of the 6th anyway....we need the cap to resign Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, and possibly Rex, so we can't afford another high pick contract.

But I'd love to get Landry on the Bears. I'd trade Briggs, the 31st and my soul to get Landry on the Bears.

I don't really get what Angelo is doing here. On one hand he feels Briggs is not worth a long term contract but then he says that in a trade he is worth more than a 24 spot move-up in round one. It seems like he wants it both ways.

Excelent point.

If Briggs doesn't already hate JA enough already I can see this thing really getting ugly.

I thought the Skins where getting the shaft on this deal to begin with. The Bears are only trying to take advantage of the Skins and there low value for draft picks. I hope this ends up bitting JA in the arse.

Radio just said talks have picked up again. They cited an unnamed executive as saying that the Skins are interested in getting a deal done and Chicago are certainly listening. It seems that McIntosh and the 6 is a no-go, but other possibilities include Marques Golston or Lemar Marshall. Also, they said don't rule out the Bears offering the 39th overall pick instead of the 31st -- that pick, coincidentally, was originally Washingtons, and I believe was sent away to New York in the whole McIntosh trade-up originally.

Snyder is a moron.

Oh yeah he is.. this guy is crazy man serious.. he always goes out year after year to snag every single FA out there and look at there team? they are going nowere for a long time. can't wait to see sometime soon were it says, Briggs just wopped JA A$$ ! :sidelol:

Excelent point.

If Briggs doesn't already hate JA enough already I can see this thing really getting ugly.

I thought the Skins where getting the shaft on this deal to begin with. The Bears are only trying to take advantage of the Skins and there low value for draft picks. I hope this ends up bitting JA in the arse.

Honestly, I don't agree with the notion that Briggs isn't worth a 16th round pick (the value of the difference between the 6th and the 31st. Briggs is only 26 -- He's established, a 2 time pro bowler, never missed a game. You can go and draft ______ with the 16th pick who is probably only 2 years younger, unproven, and not anywhere near as safe as trading for Briggs. There's a sexiness attached to draft picks that make us think they're worth so much.

Honestly, I don't agree with the notion that Briggs isn't worth a 16th round pick (the value of the difference between the 6th and the 31st. Briggs is only 26 -- He's established, a 2 time pro bowler, never missed a game. You can go and draft ______ with the 16th pick who is probably only 2 years younger, unproven, and not anywhere near as safe as trading for Briggs. There's a sexiness attached to draft picks that make us think they're worth so much.

Let's put the drafting an unproven theroy aside because all draft picks are equally unproven. Even can't misses often times are busts.

So back to your argument that Briggs isn't worth the #16 overall pick in the NFL draft? This is something that you and I will have to disagree on, when you have a player who has publicly said he'll never play for you again, and a franchise is offering up (for the sake of this scenario) the 16 overall pick, YOU TAKE IT!

Would you rather have the colts sign him and all you'll end up with is the #32 and #98 picks? At this point what's worth more #16 -or- #32 and #98?...

Moving from 31st to 6th is a hell of a deal for a player who no longer wants to be part of your team. Now if the Bears get more than that, good for them! But if they end up balking at the deal and the deal is completly dead in the water, then the Bears just screwed themselves because I honestly don't think they are gonna find a better deal out there.

Back
Top Bottom