Been going through post withdrawl/ my take | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Been going through post withdrawl/ my take

LeftCoastPhin

Getting geeked for 2003!!
Reaction score
First of all, Happy New Year to all the Dolphin fans. Baseball is a few short months away, it'll be alright. Ok, here's the deal on some of my random thoughts:

It drives me CRAZY when ONE thing is blamed for our collapse. Believe me folks, a lot of things caused it. Also, I hate it when people point out the perceived problem but don't offer a solution. (Mainly frustrated at ESPN posts, but I cant log in there to reply!) Let's start at the top:

If I were king, I would fire Wannestadt and hire Marvin Lewis. Wannestadt is a nice guy, hard worker, blah, blah, blah. Bottomline, he is a bad game time coach. Wayne will give him one more year, I guess I can live with that although I feel it is a setback. With Lewis in, I would allow him to run the D or hire who he sees fit. We all know Bates is a joke, another "stats" coach but horrible, horrible game time coach.

I feel Fiedler is not the problem, he is part of the problem, and not the solution. I give him one more year and draft Rex Grossman in the 2nd round if he's still there. If not, I pick WR or best O-line with that pick and choose QB later in the draft. I sign Charlie Batch to back up Fiedler. If the opportunity arises to get Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger, I take it. I like Fiedler, I really do, but he is just to inaccurate to start in the NFL. I give him one more year to prove me wrong because he looked good before the thumb injury.

Assuming I draft WR in the 2nd round, I sign Roosevelt Colvin and Luke Petigout in Free Agency. I draft either a safety or CB in the 3rd round or whenever the next pick is in the draft.

Either way, via FA or draft we need to address O-line, one starter and depth, nickel back, safety, LB, WR, and back up QB. Also, of course, we need to replace the despised Mark Royals.

Honestly, by allowing Wanne to remain in charge we are taking a big step BACKWARD. He has regressed all 3 years and did nothing with the Bears but the same crap he's pulling here. Very scary folks. But being the eternal optimist, I"m hoping the talent next year can override that. Like Mr. Lipservice Dave said, "we're not that far away, we're really not"

On second thought, we dont need as much help at nickel back but we could use another quality safety, maybe Roundtree will be the guy. What we really need the most besides QB (which we probably cant get till 04) is OLB, LT, and WR. If we get top talent at those 3 spots, we will be in good shape.

seems to me as of now:
we need to sign a LT, OLB to start and a vet. DB to compete ag Fletcher as well as 1 more vet OL (R Webb ?) to be a backup OT
we to draft or sign a QB to backup Jay - not sure if Sage is worth a darn
we to draft a WR to compete for the #2 spot, LBs for ST help Depth on the OL

<<Assuming I draft WR in the 2nd round, I sign Roosevelt Colvin and Luke Petigout in Free Agency. I draft either a safety or CB in the 3rd round or whenever the next pick is in the draft.>>

This is the exact plan I hope they follow.

Colvin being a Bear, is at least familiar with Wanny. Seriously, OLB is in need of a major upgrade. It's like we have 2 blocking dummies out there for containment. WR picture is not dire enough to spend a ton of money in FA in my opinion. There should be some speedy guys still on the board at our pick. OLB and OL is where our FA dollars should go. Along with that a middle of the road DB to push Fletcher. That and an attitude adjustment from Madison we should be in great shape.

Colvin's wrong for the type of system that the 'Fins run on defense as he's a pass rush guy and would be a coverage guy in our system. Spikes would be the absolute ideal candidate for this system but I see that happening like I see myself growing a butthole in the middle of my forehead.

I disagree that Grossman should be taken by the 'Fins as he's more of a system guy and probably won't have a lot of success at the NFL level. There may be other QB's available in the second round who would do well with a year or two of learning but we'll have to wait and see.

As far as taking a wideout in the second round, the chances of the a 2nd round WR contributing immediately are very slim. Chambers is one of the rare examples of a first year wideout who consistently produces for an entire year. Most (Stallworth, Jake Reed, Price, Burress, etc) either do very little in their first year, or they start off strong and slump. In other words, a second round wideout may be all but useless until the following year.

The line needs help and Pettigout would be a good addition, but there are also some other quality options out there as well that would be good fits for this team. Chances are that the 'Fins get one of the top flight guys and try for another second tier guy. On that note, I'd also like to see Dixon brought back for the right price. He's a very good linemen when healthy so if he can be brought back cheap, he adds a necessary element to the line.

I guess we all just get to sit back and wait until March 4th to see what happens here.

I wanted Colvin, assuming a scheme change would take place, but that is probably to much to ask for.

I think Grossman is gonna surprise some people.

Good point about the rookie wide outs, but I do want to get young at that spot.

Back
Top Bottom