Ben Counting His Benjamins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ben Counting His Benjamins?

alen1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The agent for Ben Roethlisberger characterizes his client and the Steelers as being "very close" on a long-term contract.
The agent is now in Pittsburgh negotiating. "We're hopefully here to finish it," he said. We'd guess Big Ben gets about an eight-year, $90 million deal.

rotoworld.com

Big Ben Gets His Benjamins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467

The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

The contract, which includes more than $36 million in guarantees and is easily the largest in team history, places Big Ben among the game's highest-paid players. In comparison, Peyton Manning received a $34.5 million signing bonus in his big deal and Michael Vick received $37 million in guarantees from the Falcons in his mega deal. Both Manning's and Vick's deals were signed in 2004.

I like Big Ben but $100 million to play the game of football just seems crazy.

That's a lot of lettuce for Big Ben....good to see he will probably finish out his career in Pittsburgh.

He was just in Vegas this weekend at the playboy party. Drop 75k at the black jack table. It would be nice to be him. 26yrs old, ROY, Superbowl champ, 100 mill contract and SINGLE and chilling with playmates.

I like Big Ben but $100 million to play the game of football just seems crazy.

Yes it is, and it's a direct example of how messed society's priorities have become.

As a fan am I somewhat responsible?
I guess I'd have to say yes but if I had it may way these guys would be capped at some level because it's absurd. It will only get more absurd as every year these contracts skyrocket.

If any one thing makes me rethink supporting pro sports on a regular basis it's this issue.

Yes it is, and it's a direct example of how messed society's priorities have become.

I guess I'd have to say yes but if I had it may way these guys would be capped at some level because it's absurd. It will only get more absurd as every year these contracts skyrocket.

If any one thing makes me rethink supporting pro sports on a regular basis it's this issue.

Why is it absurd? And what they can make is capped...by the salary cap. However, capping what the players make (on an individual basis) just means the owners make more money. Why would anyone have a problem with some of the money being made by the league being passed on to the players?

I understand where you're coming from...I know there are people that deserve it more like firefighters and such, but anybody who has ever went to an NFL game supports this salary. If we will pay to watch them play I think they have every right to get paid that much.

Where does the money go if the players like Big Ben dont get it? In the owners pockets. Me, Id rather if a great player like Ben gets the money over an owner. Ben is the one performing. Thats what I pay to see. He is the one with his knees and noggin on the line every week. Not the owner.

The league brings in over $3 billion every year. Big Ben now gets about $14 million each year, so even with this contract he still makes nothing compared to the front office that doesn't even risk their lives playing the game.

Back
Top Bottom