• FS's: Freeman/Edwards/Bell

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • RG's: Jerman/Whitley/Pape/Bedell

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

Show Me Your TDs

My head's on Fire!
Reaction score
With Training Camp coming up soon, which out of the following is the best battle for a position or roster spot. (Obvisously excluding Fiedler/Feely)
I am the most excited about seeing the pads come on and seeing who comes to play and whose going home. I think the best battle could be with the DLine. With Jay Williams, David Bowens, Otis Grisby, and Tony Brown fighting it out for 3 roster spots it will be interesting to see if one of the VETS get cut in favor of youth. I think Tony Brown will make it over Bowens especially since Brown can play DT as well. This also means Fins only carry 5 DE's and Ogunleye is playing.

There is absolutely no way Tony Brown makes it over Bowens, come on man how can you justify that? Bowens was a spot starter and played very well not to mention doing pretty damn good on special teams, what has Brown done that would make you think he could take his roster spot? We have 4 DTs we don't need a 5th and plus if he's gonna make it over anyone it'll be over Grigsby and we'll only add him to the team if Wale holds out IMO. He hasn't done anything so far when he should have a distinct advantage over the offensive lineman with no pads, he has yet to register a big play, hurry, sack, tackle, I can't remember him doing anything at all. Sorry just think you are overvaluing a guy that is in my opinion training camp fodder.

could be and i see your point. I just don't think Miami's FO would sign a guy off of Carolina's squad for 2yrs to be camp fodder. As the third QB has come to a close Brown has impressed many coaches. As a best case scenario, he get cut and is placed on the expanded PS. I actually rethought my thread and liken the Yeremiah Bell situation more. I can't wait to see if he can actually unseat Freeman or Edwards and come out of nowhere to take the starting FS position

could be and i see your point. I just don't think Miami's FO would sign a guy off of Carolina's squad for 2yrs to be camp fodder. As the third QB has come to a close Brown has impressed many coaches. As a best case scenario, he get cut and is placed on the expanded PS. I actually rethought my thread and liken the Yeremiah Bell situation more. I can't wait to see if he can actually unseat Freeman or Edwards and come out of nowhere to take the starting FS position

That and the qb battle will be the most interesting things to me and I will be closely analyzing them when I go. Right now I really like what Bell brings to the table, he is much quicker than our other safeties plus has nice size but we'll have to see about the hitting. I think he along with Edwards will push Freeman to play his best football ever and we will be very solid at the safety spot regardless of who starts because of the quality backups we possess. Are you going to attend any of the camps?

I like the battle at FS. Three guys with potential. Two of them are real hitters. All of them have speed, range, and athleticism. All are hungry.

Oh yeah the QB battle. That wins hands down.

Yeah I'm hoping so. Out of all the crap I posted I want:
WR Thompson, Newsom, and Simmons to fill out the WR depth chart.
DE See above
CB Korey Banks b/c he's a playmaker and kinda reminds me of Buckley
LB Jenkins and Bua unless Pope just tears it up in TC
KR: Simmons (I really want Russell to make it if he shows enough in training camp when the boys can hit him)
FS: ANY
RG: Jerman by default (not sure why?)

well if I had put the QB battle then it would had been a useless post (which I know some of you think well it is already)

[QUOTE=Finsflurry]There is absolutely no way Tony Brown makes it over Bowens, come on man how can you justify that? Bowens was a spot starter and played very well not to mention doing pretty damn good on special teams, what has Brown done that would make you think he could take his roster spot? We have 4 DTs we don't need a 5th and plus if he's gonna make it over anyone it'll be over Grigsby and we'll only add him to the team if Wale holds out IMO. He hasn't done anything so far when he should have a distinct advantage over the offensive lineman with no pads, he has yet to register a big play, hurry, sack, tackle, I can't remember him doing anything at all. Sorry just think you are overvaluing a guy that is in my opinion training camp fodder.[/QUOTE]

Its just one of those things I hope for. I hope for a hungry young in that comes in a just shines all over the place. I'm tired of potential unfullfilled like Bowens. He was supposed to be the starter 2 years ago and seem to just like playing on the bench instead (obviously I'm talkin injuries). He is a very strong and fast DE from what I have seen in the past and I really hope he comes to play this year especially if for some odd reason OGUN doesn't work out. Brown has some potential but its just that potential where as Bowens has shown it on the field but just can't sustain it for long periods of time.

Nice poll, everard.

I went with the LB's. That should get scrappy, with some hitters having something to prove. The guards or safeties may be more critical for us at the moment, but I'd enjoy watching the battle of the LB's most.

I'm much more interested in the right guard and tackle competition.
I have liked Jerman since he made the team as an undrafted rookie. It will be interesting to see where the hitting really counts if he beats out the loser at right tackle.

I'm not sure Brown should be in the DE battle. I thought he was being worked out only as a pass rushing DT on the order of Jay Williams/ Rob Burnett? Can anyone confirm or refute this? Oh and I voted for the safeties. It has the chance to be the highest quality battle.

I voted for the guard spot because it's going to be the most important in the long run. (Or the short runs depending on how the spot works out) ;)

Back
Top Bottom