Best Offensive Coaching Staff in the League??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Offensive Coaching Staff in the League???

MaxPower

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Good to be back 'round here. I've stayed away since the end of the season and the inevitable "love/hate Fiedler...let's fire Wanny" rantings and have calmed down a bit.

Suddenly though I think we might have lucked into one of the best offensive coaching staffs in the the NFL. Sure we lost Norv and he was well respected & admired - even if the talent he was working with was subpar...(or maybe because of it:rolleyes: )

...but now we have a bright, up-and-coming OC in Collier (who by most accounts was pegged by many in the league as a future OC and is very well respected) - a former WCO coord as our new QB coach (and future HC?) in Trestman - a former OC and highly touted WR coach in Sullivan - - - - all on the same staff.

So we've got a premier coach representing the 3 units (QB, WR, & RB) all poised to work together this year in game-planning, etc.

We have a Front Office determined to upgrade the OL and the QB position.

In short, Spring is on the way & I think it is time for some of us here to let go of the disappointment a bit and grab on to the optimism that will be the 2004 Miami Dolphins.

And hell, Dan Marino is back....

Maybe if I wasn't so sure that Tony Wise is still living off the name he made for himself a decade ago, and maybe if I wasn't so sure that the road to Collier's success as an OC will start off with a few bumps.

The guy is going to be learning on the job basically how to formulate game plans, how to call games, etc. He's gotta learn SOMETIME most definitely, but ya know that doesn't mean he's gonna be dynamite right out of the box. Chances are he'll stumble a few times before he eventually hits his stride, settles on a truly consistent offensive philosophy, and learns to call games from start to finish.

If Norv had stayed here, yes I would definitely think we have one of the top offensive coaching staffs in all the league.

Originally posted by MaxPower
Good to be back 'round here. I've stayed away since the end of the season and the inevitable "love/hate Fiedler...let's fire Wanny" rantings and have calmed down a bit.

Suddenly though I think we might have lucked into one of the best offensive coaching staffs in the the NFL. Sure we lost Norv and he was well respected & admired - even if the talent he was working with was subpar...(or maybe because of it:rolleyes: )

...but now we have a bright, up-and-coming OC in Collier (who by most accounts was pegged by many in the league as a future OC and is very well respected) - a former WCO coord as our new QB coach (and future HC?) in Trestman - a former OC and highly touted WR coach in Sullivan - - - - all on the same staff.

So we've got a premier coach representing the 3 units (QB, WR, & RB) all poised to work together this year in game-planning, etc.

We have a Front Office determined to upgrade the OL and the QB position.

In short, Spring is on the way & I think it is time for some of us here to let go of the disappointment a bit and grab on to the optimism that will be the 2004 Miami Dolphins.

And hell, Dan Marino is back....

Amen, Brother!:lol:

I think that might be a stretch though, when you say "best."

the best is in the superbowl representing the AFC...as much as i hate to say it.

Best O-coaching staff in the league? Well only time will tell...

One thing for shure this past season we score more TDs (17) than in Gary Stevens last year as the OC (16TDs).

We seemed to have the coaching staff and the FO personnel to succeed, but they have to get the talented players to produce...

Looks like ever since JJ started to improve our D, we have jump from a offensively oriented team to one that is primarily defensive. This has somehow caused this team to loose the point scoring focus and has strenghten the "defense win games" attitude...

Somehow this FO and coaching staff has to bring back an offensive balance. Since most of you already know that the defense has 2/3 of the team's salary...That being said we will restructure some player's salary but we will probably loose some talent on the defensive side...

So be prepare, changes are still forthcoming...

We do have very good coaches at WR (Sullivan) and QB (Trestman). Our RB coach, Bernie Parmalee, could do a good job but we don't really know what to expect yet. However, we have an awful offensive line coach in Tony Wise and our OC hasn't called a game yet. This isn't the best offensive coaching staff in the league.

Best Offensive Team is K. C.

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
the best is in the superbowl representing the AFC...as much as i hate to say it.

I begg to differ Sal...

KC had the number 1 ranked offenses in 02' and 03' (most points score). Until a team takes them of that perch, K. C. has the best offensive coaching staff.

The Pats offense are ranked # 12 in points scored, and are being aided by a tremendous defense this year ranked # 1 in points allowed.

[edited] The biggest difference in the Pats this year is the players confidence. They fall behind in a game and the offense produces, then the defense clamps down when it needs to. Sure the coaches calls the plays in but the players execute beatifully....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we have a new O staff except for Wise..the juries still out on him for me. But we have defintely changed some on O. Now lets see what players we're have on O.

Now I was talking strictly about "Coaching staff" which is entirely up to opinion...

- can't go off of this year, since these guys are in new positions and on new teams

- can't base on player stats, since the talent levels are so varied.

My point was that we have a concentration of offensive brainpower that we haven't had around here in looonnnngg time. We ought to be excited. Sure, I'm a little bummed that Norv is gone, but maybe Collier is one of those guys who just needs a chance.

I'm sure he won't have much need for "on the job training" as everyone of these guys have been in the business for a while. He knows exactly what's involved in game planning and calling plays but is just being modest and lowering expectations a little. He's been mentally prepping for this for years (I'm sure) just itching for a chance. Plus, as I understand it, playcalling on the pro level is often a matter of preparation, organization, & knowledge of the strength of your personnell - all supposed strong suits for Collier.

I'm not worried about his learning curve at all.

It's who's playing on our OL that will have me worried...

KC's schedule was awfully easy as well......I never put stock in them this year and always said....wait until they start playing a team with an above .500 avg.....well...they did towards the end of the season and started to lose.

Originally posted by Disnardo

One thing for shure this past season we score more TDs (17) than in Gary Stevens last year as the OC (16TDs).

Before people start having heart attacks, I want to point out that we only produced 17 passing TDs this year. :tongue: We scored 14 rushing, and the D chipped in with 3 TDs and a safety.

Back
Top Bottom