Best Pick/Worst Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Pick/Worst Pick

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Who would be the best, or most exciting player that the Dolphins could pick in the first round? On the other hand, what player do you think would/could be a bad pick. I'm only looking at players who could legitimately be there at #16, but we could always talk trade up as well.

For me, I'd love to see Chad Greenway slip to #16 and Miami take him. Along with his physical attributes, I like his leadership abilities. Greenway definitely strikes me as someone who you could build a defense around. I also like Carpenter and Lawson. I'm intrigued by Holmes, who I think would be an excellent compliment to Chambers/Booker and a great weapon for Culpepper.

For the worst pick, I'd say Jason Allen. Not because of his physical abilities, but because he has been so injury prone in his career. I say let someone else take the risk. There are just too many other quality players in this year's draft to take a chance that high. Can you say Yatil Green? I would also be mildly disappointed if Miami took Cromartie in the first for similar reasons. In the 2nd I think the risk would be worth it, but you have to make the most of your premium picks.

I think the best Pick is Manny Lawson

Worst pick is Me. If I hear my name called and recieve a phone call as a fan I will be upset.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:

Worst pick is Me. If I hear my name called and recieve a phone call as a fan I will be upset.

lol if they called me I would be upset for the Dolphins but my financial future would be lookin good.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:

LOL. Yeah, they better not pick me either. Manny Lawson is definitely intriguing with off the charts physical abilities. Along with Jason Taylor that would give Miami a lot of options and ways to get to the qb. Lawson will have to work on stopping the run. I see Carpenter as more of a solid pick, but Lawson has the chance to be spectacular. Would love to have him in a Dolphin uniform.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
For me, I'd love to see Chad Greenway slip to #16 and Miami take him. Along with his physical attributes, I like his leadership abilities. Greenway definitely strikes me as someone who you could build a defense around.

:lol:

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Who would be the best, or most exciting player that the Dolphins could pick in the first round? On the other hand, what player do you think would/could be a bad pick. I'm only looking at players who could legitimately be there at #16, but we could always talk trade up as well.

For me, I'd love to see Chad Greenway slip to #16 and Miami take him. Along with his physical attributes, I like his leadership abilities. Greenway definitely strikes me as someone who you could build a defense around. I also like Carpenter and Lawson. I'm intrigued by Holmes, who I think would be an excellent compliment to Chambers/Booker and a great weapon for Culpepper.

For the worst pick, I'd say Jason Allen. Not because of his physical abilities, but because he has been so injury prone in his career. I say let someone else take the risk. There are just too many other quality players in this year's draft to take a chance that high. Can you say Yatil Green? I would also be mildly disappointed if Miami took Cromartie in the first for similar reasons. In the 2nd I think the risk would be worth it, but you have to make the most of your premium picks.

Greenway's physical attributes doesn't impress me all that much. His speed is average and his strength is nothing to write home about. He does make plays and is a leader on the field. Whether or not he is someone you build a defense around, I don't know.
You cannot put Cromartie in the same category as Green. Green never had a serious injury in college. From all the off season workout, Cromartie does seem to be healed.

Best Pick: Michael Huff...

because I think he might have a realistic shot at slipping as a CB/S tweener...

Worst Pick: Ernie Sims...because he doesn't have the size that Saban looks for in linebackers.

With Cooper signing, and resigning McIntosh I have to say its definately going to be a LB, I dont like Greenway he is a big 4-3 LB, not quite a 3-4 guy, not strong enough or explosive enough, I think that even though many may see it as a reach it would be awesome to get Lawson.

Trying to be very realistic I would say that Jimmy Williams, Holmes, or if Bunkley or Ngata falls, They would all be solid picks. I would be upset with Greenway or any other DB besides Whitner, Hill and Williams. Basically I would be happy with anyone but Greenway

RHoffman said:
because I think he might have a realistic shot at slipping as a CB/S tweener...

Worst Pick: Ernie Sims...because he doesn't have the size that Saban looks for in linebackers.

Huff would be great, but I think he's top 10. Actually, if Miami had more picks he's a guy that Saban might have traded up for. I guess that is still possible.

Joey 22 said:
With Cooper signing, and resigning McIntosh I have to say its definately going to be a LB, I dont like Greenway he is a big 4-3 LB, not quite a 3-4 guy, not strong enough or explosive enough, I think that even though many may see it as a reach it would be awesome to get Lawson.

I really like Lawson. I know he's a guy that can be pushed around a little in the run game, but he's also a game-changing kind of player.

Tureo said:
Trying to be very realistic I would say that Jimmy Williams, Holmes, or if Bunkley or Ngata falls, They would all be solid picks. I would be upset with Greenway or any other DB besides Whitner, Hill and Williams. Basically I would be happy with anyone but Greenway

Greenway's combine numbers weren't that great, especially his 4.7 in the 40. Before that, I kept reading that he was a 4.4/4.5 guy and his playing speed looks like that. Despite his combine, I like what he does on the field and Miami is going to need some young players to step up as leaders on the defense in the next few years. Of the guys you listed, I'd love to have Ngata or Holmes. I'm not as high on Jimmy Williams because of things I'm reading about him. Haven't seen enough of Bunkley.

Joey 22 said:

I agree, although there are a couple of other players I can see Saban taking. Gabe Watson or Nick Mangold are the ones that come to mind other than linebackers.

I don't know where this idea that Jason Allen is injury prone comes from. The only injury he had at the college level was a dislocated hip. He played in every game during his first three seasons at Tennessee, and he had started around 25 games in a row before being injured against Georgia this season in what amounted to just a freak situation. He proved at the combine that he has fully recovered from that injury as he tested out as the best athlete among the defensive backs. He tested out better than any DB from the 2005 draft as well.

Back
Top Bottom