Better late then never | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better late then never

Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
Bad timing? Yes. BUt don't you think it is better he quit NOW than played out the season half assed and unheartedly?

The man has guts, I'll give him that.

People who hate Ricky Williams for htis are deluded. Sure it sucks *** and hurts, but it is HIS life, not yours. There is more to life than football and the Dolphins, sadly some don't see it that way. The reaction on this board is enough to make anybody want to quit something. Apalling behaviour.

Life moves on.

Whatever, that's your opinion.Personally, I'm sick of people making excuses for him. He did an incredibly selfish thing. He let a lot of people down. If that doesn't bother Ricky, good for him. Have a nice life.

LIQUID24 said:
Whatever, that's your opinion.Personally, I'm sick of people making excuses for him. He did an incredibly selfish thing. He let a lot of people down. If that doesn't bother Ricky, good for him. Have a nice life.

Abbsolutly. If we quit after last year thats one thing. Most of us ane not knockink him for quitting but rather the TIMING of it. Now we are either stuck with an aging D and a 2nd tier RB or and aging D (without wally or a 1st rounder whichever is traded) and a back with no knowledge of the playbook. Thats Ricky's fault. Adults with responsibilty KNOW you cant just quit whenever you want without at least some social consequences.

People quit jobs every day if they are not happy. What is more important your own health or other people's feelings?

You are taking short sighted views of this. Very selfish yourselves. Life goes on. If his heart is not in the game I DON'T want him playing for MIami.

Exactly. It's the timing. I don't think it will cost us Ogun because with the new cap room we'll need to sign him to keep our defense in tact to remain competitive. It is also the selfishness and smugness with which he did it. His teammates busted their a**es all off-season and now he does this to them? Borderline unforgivable.
I personally believe we may end up surprised this season. I think focus now shifts away from us, our defense is still good, and other players step up and we finish OK. I generally do not wear blinders and predict big things for the Dolphins without objectivity, but I believe we'll still be competitive. Spielman will find someone adequate and it will force the Offense to be more diverse. There are still other talented players all over this team. They just need to step up.

Bodzilla29 said:
Bad timing? Yes. BUt don't you think it is better he quit NOW than played out the season half assed and unheartedly?

The man has guts, I'll give him that.

People who hate Ricky Williams for htis are deluded. Sure it sucks *** and hurts, but it is HIS life, not yours. There is more to life than football and the Dolphins, sadly some don't see it that way. The reaction on this board is enough to make anybody want to quit something. Apalling behaviour.

Life moves on.
Give me a break Bod.....This is a Miami Dolphins fan site! The people here live and breathe Miami Dolphins football, this is a devastating situation for a lot of the people. I'm sure that once a little time goes by and RW is forgotten the cooler heads will prevail but, your condemnation of people for having their own thoughts and feelings about the whole deal smacks of hypocrisy considering your defense of Ricky "living HIS own life"....

LIQUID24 said:

Afeakingmen! Le Ba Tards column is disgusting today. Make RW out to be a marter. He's a jerk. To do this the week training camp starts is wrong.......no excuses!

We're entitled to our own opinion jacka$$. Don't go yelling at us because of what we think.

A big part of it is indeed because of WHEN he decided to retire, not simply because he did. As furious as I am he retired period, its the timing that gets to me. After the draft, after free agency, after when most any decent RBs are off the market.

He put is in a rut, thats plain and simple. He put the Miami Dolphins organization into disoray because their best and most utilized weapon decided he wants to be a care-less hippie. Who cares if we sacrificed TWO YEARS OF 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICKS ON HIM or that we built our offense line for running plays not to mention that basically our entire offense is centered around a strong running game.

Phinz4Life said:
k.

A big part of it is indeed because of WHEN he decided to retire, not simply because he did. As furious as I am he retired period, its the timing that gets to me. After the draft, after free agency, after when most any decent RBs are off the market.

That's just it! This is America.........he had the right to do it but the timing was so selfish and what has me so pissed.

We gave up draft picks and everything KNOWING full well that he wasn't on the straight and narrow. Sure nobody saw this coming, but it was a risky move in the first place.

The only people I am condeming are the hate mongerers out there. I am just as pissed off as everybody else, only I don't "hate" RW and I certainly don't think he is a "scumbag." He doesn't want to play football anymore. Do you want a big part of your team half assing their way through the season just because you the people want him there?

He didn't wake up and say "gee, I think I will cause controversy and piss evrybody off today." He woke up thinking that his heart wasn't in it and it isn't a life or death profession. He played football for God sake. And the people commenting that they are gald he isn't a soldier are way out of line too. He played football. It is completely different.

I am pissed and the timing sucks. But ask yourself this. If you woke up one morning and could quit your job you didn't like and could still be financially secure and do some of the things you loved, wouldn't you do the same? If my heart wasn't in something I wouldn't do it. Plain and simple. There are no rules saying he can't retire when he wants. He was under no obligation to play football. If this was a ploy to get out of his contract to play elsewhere it would be different. Don't call him selfish cause he doesn't like football.

I do things every day that I don't want to do because I feel I have responsibilities and obligations to other people around me.

Ricky feels no responsibility or obligation to other people around him.

I don't hate Ricky... I don't know Ricky. But I hate that he bailed out on his responsibilities and obligations to his teammates, to his coaches, and to his former fans. Ricky Williams cannot be trusted. I would not have him back on my team at any time, for any reason.

I'm with you bod... for a brief second i hated ricky when my friend woke me up at 2am to tell me what had happened. But i agree, if he hates it and can be secure financially and just have fun the rest of his life, who can really blame him. Most guys end up with a totally beat up body and cant even enjoy retirement after football. I'm with most of the board in that i'm just truly disappointed in the timing and the way he handled it. He said it was such a burden for him and he's "finally free" which leads me to believe he could have easily made this decision at the end of last year. This wasn't a sudden thing, it's been in his head awhile now. This is a team and a city that turned his career around, gave him a new contract (if you remember how awful his old one was) and made him a community favorite and helped give him the strength to make this decision and battle his social disorder.

Basically, the trade to miami and the city of miami gave him a new lease on life and helped make him a better person/player and give him the strength to make this decision. I just wish he could have been slightly less selfish with the timing, and consider all they have done for him as well...either retire at the end of last year, or maybe announce that this would be his last season and retire at the end of this year as that is not uncommon in sports.

It's a shame, it really is. Having said all that, im really not concerned with our team this season. We've won with lamar smith and other not so big names at RB. We've won with fiedler at QB, we've won without receivers the likes of chambers/boston and certainly without a TE like mcmichael and we've won without a defense that was this good (i expect ogun to re-sign now).

So the morale of our team is probably at an all time low, with this culmination of our atrocious offseason, and our initial gameplan is probably completely shot but we have great leaders(zach, seau, taylor, etc...), and still enough to compete for a playoff spot in the NFL with the parity in this league. last three years there hasn't been an elite runningback winning the Super Bowl. So while i have mixed emotions and was devastated by the news, I'm ok with it and ready to move on, we will be fine as a team. Hopefully the front office doesnt panic anymore and throw out too much money to a less than capable back or make an unreasonable trade.

I'd like for them to pursue deshaun foster or michael bennett (highly unlikely as tice has made him his guy), maybe onterrio smith, and i wished we hadn't sent leonhard henry to europe now, but what can you do. It's time to move forward and it is nice to not be super bowl favorites for a change heading into the season. Teams will definitely take us a little more lightly and won't be as geared up to stop the run for sure, will ease some of the pressure off the o-line not having so many guys in the box i'm sure.

Should be interesting to see how it all shakes down, but it is not the end of the world.

I don't want to go to Iraq at the end of the year but you know what? I'm not going to try to get out of it I'm going to do it. It's very hard on me and my family. Do you know why I'm doing it? For the guys next to me, there are people who need me and are counting on me to help them and watch their backs, and they do the same for me. You know how this is relevant Bodzilla? Because sometimes its about more than just yourself. Ricky had a contract, though not as serious as a war, he had an obligation to his teammates and to the dolphins. Just because you don't like somehting doesn't mean you can always just quit. This says a lot about his work ethic and character in general.

Bodzilla29 said:
So if a 40 year old stock broker retires early, but is a valuable member of his firm, is he also a coward?

Poor analogy.

Back
Top Bottom