Better late then never | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better late then never

This is devastating news and everyone is pissed off, including me, but thats life. You might call him all sorts of names but IMO, it takes balls to do it like he did, when he did. I'm sure he knew what the outcome would be like (this board for instance) with all the fans, sportswriters, the repercussions, etc. Or, he could've played one more season to "sacrifice his happiness in life to accomodate everyone else's wants" so as to not piss everyone off, risk injury, be run into the ground again for 300+ carries and be a true coward in the process just to what, please everyone except himself? He said he had been contemplating it for several months. The timing does suck but at least he tried to figure it out before he did it instead of just quitting and having second thoughts. Look at Shannon Sharpe. Coach Shanahan told him to let his intentions be known before the draft so they could look at TE prospects. He gave no indication of retiring - after the draft CBS offers him a spot to replace Deion and he ends up retiring. When Barry retired, he did not go into detail (until just recently) about why he retired. At least Ricky did. **** happens. Its his life. I don't live my life to please others, nobody is going to tell me how to live my life, and I certainly don't tell other people how to live their's. IMO, if he owes us anything, he should at least address the media in person to say goodbye to his fans

Sorry Bod, can't agree.

Maybe we saw last year what he's like when his heart isn't in it. But to give up $3.7m this year alone so he can take marijuana without having to remember the sreening drink in case he's tested is madness any way you cut it.

I just hope the gamble we took on Boston doesn't pay out the same return.

Puncho said:
Poor analogy.
How so? an important member in a large fir that helps bring in the big money. Suddenly wakes up hating his life and needs a change. How is it different? Because you have no emotional tie to it?

This situation sucks. But you know what? Nobody died and life goes on. He hated his job and quit. Just like any of us would if we could deal with it financially.

Puncho said:
Poor analogy.

No it's not.........it's called character. Ricky has no character. He was a part of a "whole" which he committed himself to. His decision affects 52 other guys on that field and the timing of it leaves them hanging dry. The man even says he doesn't really care for anyone other than his kids. C'mon man........this world will be a f*cked up place if all you care about is your children. I mean c'mon man, this was the absolute worst time he could've done this.

finphan said:
This is devastating news and everyone is pissed off, including me, but thats life. You might call him all sorts of names but IMO, it takes balls to do it like he did, when he did. I'm sure he knew what the outcome would be like (this board for instance) with all the fans, sportswriters, the repercussions, etc. Or, he could've played one more season to "sacrifice his happiness in life to accomodate everyone else's wants" so as to not piss everyone off, risk injury, be run into the ground again for 300+ carries and be a true coward in the process just to what, please everyone except himself? He said he had been contemplating it for several months. The timing does suck but at least he tried to figure it out before he did it instead of just quitting and having second thoughts. Look at Shannon Sharpe. Coach Shanahan told him to let his intentions be known before the draft so they could look at TE prospects. He gave no indication of retiring - after the draft CBS offers him a spot to replace Deion and he ends up retiring. When Barry retired, he did not go into detail (until just recently) about why he retired. At least Ricky did. **** happens. Its his life. I don't live my life to please others, nobody is going to tell me how to live my life, and I certainly don't tell other people how to live their's. IMO, if he owes us anything, he should at least address the media in person to say goodbye to his fans

No, it doesn't take balls, it takes complete arrogance and selfishness. I'm all for bettering oneself, but when you committ yourself to something and then walk away during the 24th hour when you've a whole team depending on you - that's called cowardice. This decision could've been made at the end of last season and he's given every indication it was on his mind then. The man doesn't give a sh*t about anything other than himself. Sure he talks of giving money to random people he sees on the streets, but the only reason he does that is because of this weird mental quest he's on to be "free." He's on some freaky mental quest.

Bod, the key is that the "accounting firm" gave up so much for this "stockbroker" in the first place, and then made him the central figure in the firm's one-and-only project for the next year. One week before the project kicks off, he bails out.

I never mentioned the word "coward," I suppose you invented that to make my point appear to be a personal attack rather than an assessment of the situation. But to use your analogy, yes, I would say that this stockbroker bailed out on his responsibilities and obligations to his co-workers, to his bosses, and to his former clients. I would say that this stockbroker cannot be trusted. I would not have him back in my firm at any time, for any reason.

muscle979 said:
I don't want to go to Iraq at the end of the year but you know what? I'm not going to try to get out of it I'm going to do it. It's very hard on me and my family. Do you know why I'm doing it? For the guys next to me, there are people who need me and are counting on me to help them and watch their backs, and they do the same for me. You know how this is relevant Bodzilla? Because sometimes its about more than just yourself. Ricky had a contract, though not as serious as a war, he had an obligation to his teammates and to the dolphins. Just because you don't like somehting doesn't mean you can always just quit. This says a lot about his work ethic and character in general.
Great post and gl fighting for us! Ricky is very selfish, how any of you can debate this is beyond me. When you sign a contract, your giving your word. Its just like when your a lil kid, if u make a promise theres obviously nothing anyone can do to make u keep it, but u keep it out of character. Ricky has very lil character, he showed this by bailing on a team tht had very high hope for this year. He jus gave up on an entire state of people tht all looked up and depened on him. If he wants to retire, ill b sad but still respect him. but when he hops on a one way ticket to Asia and runs away from everything aand leaves his team in a situation where there is very lil avaibale for them to do make me thing hes a little baby who cant handle responsibility. And BTW Rickys gonna b in for a rude awakining! Hes not gonna b able to live off his money forever. Hell have to do someting soon.

If Ricky decided he wanted to come back, id have a hard time excepting him back into our community. Right now i honestly dont kno if i would or not. but its not me tht matters, its Speilmen and co.

Bodzilla29 said:
He retired before training camp, it's not like he quit right before the super bowl.
Bod you are unbelieveable. Why dont u look at the big picture. I understand the liberal hippie way to look at it is hes a "free spirt" and its just a "game" but not in the real world! He signed a contract he willingly accepted and basically promised his coaches, teamates, and fans tht he was gonna work his *** off untill the contarct expired! I would still have been upset if he retired after last season was over, but wouldnt of been angry like I am now. He owes his teamates and community atleast retiring when its good for the organzation. I thot he cared so much about us fans and our community. Guess not. How i take it he just gave us one big middle finger then flew away to Asia.

One week before training camp. After every stockbroker with a decent resume is off accounting for some other firm. After clients have already paid for the firm's services, expecting this guy to provide a large percentage of those services.

Ricky hung a lot of people out to dry on this. Again, I don't hate the guy, I hate what he did. But not hating the guy and welcoming him back to your team are two very different things.

Truth be known, I have had my own problems with mood disorders. And pot smoking. Hell, and authority figures, too, for that matter. I was giddy for the guy when it seemed he was pulling himself out of the mire he, I and others have found themselves in.

I don't hate him... I feel bad for him because it looks to me as though he has given up fighting his problems and has decided to wallow in them. This is an example of running away that makes wearing a helmet to interviews seem positively normal.

As you mentioned in the OP, there are indeed more important things than football... getting one's life straightened out, for one. Ricky was given a great chance to straighten out his life, appeared to be well on his way, then he suddenly veers off course, again.

No hatred. Some pity. A lot of "won't ever depend on him again."

I'm with the majority here...

Bodzilla29 said:
How so? an important member in a large fir that helps bring in the big money. Suddenly wakes up hating his life and needs a change. How is it different? Because you have no emotional tie to it?

This situation sucks. But you know what? Nobody died and life goes on. He hated his job and quit. Just like any of us would if we could deal with it financially.
Bod....I respectfully disagree.
I think this is completely irresponsible! Most respectable members in large firms would let their seniors know what their intentions are with more time. They would stick around giving their complete effort until management is comfortable with a replacement. Especially in a case (like this one) where there is a very limited supply of capable replacements (which is not the case in corporate jobs). Good execs know that their reputations would be shot to hell if they just quit at a really bad time without giving their employers time to plan.
Furthermore, it's not like a better alternative came up all of a sudden. The option of travelling the world has always been there. It was there in late December when the Dolphins ended the season and started planning this season. Most responsible people would purposely set aside some time to mull over a decision like this and make sure that one ends up doing whatever they want, and at the same time hurry the decision if necessary to have the least negative impact on the people around them. I call that being considerate. Many execs leave their jobs for other better opportunities that arise all of a sudden, which is way much more understandable than wanting to go smoke pot in Asia for a while.

Bodzilla29 said:
Bad timing? Yes. BUt don't you think it is better he quit NOW than played out the season half assed and unheartedly?

The man has guts, I'll give him that.

People who hate Ricky Williams for htis are deluded. Sure it sucks *** and hurts, but it is HIS life, not yours. There is more to life than football and the Dolphins, sadly some don't see it that way. The reaction on this board is enough to make anybody want to quit something. Apalling behaviour.

Life moves on.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Back
Top Bottom