Better Or Worse? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better Or Worse?

I believe our D is better or at the very least just as good without having to break the bank. I am concerned about the Oline. We can’t just stay put and assume our draft picks are going to be day one plus starting. I also don’t think we can wait until June 1st with the possibility that there will be nothing of value available

I believe our D is better or at the very least just as good without having to break the bank. I am concerned about the Oline. We can’t just stay put and assume our draft picks are going to be day one plus starting. I also don’t think we can wait until June 1st with the possibility that there will be nothing of value available
Our D could, indeed, be just as good. In spite of all the fanfare and high expectations, Fangio's vaunted scheme/philosophy was horseshit. He was stubborn and inflexible to the point that game planning specific opponents was seemingly non-existent. I didn't like it from the start and glad to see him gone.

Also agree about the Oline and counting in a rook draftee is a very risky proposition.

Unfortunately, not sure if there are a lot of options here. I doubt we bring in any "stud" linemen at this point.

At this point I’m happy with serviceable starters on the line. It’s the same sht every year. The Oline is always the last priority and the biggest weakness year in year out

I don’t think we have seen the best of Holland, and think Fangio was flawed in his inflexibility. We plugged some holes, some very well but there’s lots more to do.

Totally agree.

You really have to tune out the Miami-centric sources to get a reasonable feel for someone. We have people who still talk about Tua as though he's a savior. The problem across the internet seems to be that content streams are targeting fanbases with pro-Team news. Within hours of a signing, there will be a YouTube video promoting somebody as a "steal" for the Dolphins. And the podcasters are generally worse with hyping up players as being perfect scheme-fits.

There's another thread that says we signed 2 TEs. One of those is a practice squad guy who won't make our roster. To me, that level of honesty is better. Then you're not surprised.

Rather than talk about Holland as an "elite" or "Top-3" safety why not be more honest? That way you're not distraught when someone else signs him. I didn't think Robert Hunt was perfect. I think the worst team with some of the worst leadership signed him to a hilariously egregious deal.

Rather than say, 'Grier found a $100M Guard' why not just say that (1) Hunt was a good prospect with a lot of physical advantages who we scooped up as he fell out of R1 and (2) the Panthers are really, really stupid to pay him what they did.

So I'm with you. I'll believe Jevon Holland is a difference-maker when I see it. Solid player? Sure. Elite safety who we couldn't fathom being without? Not so much.

If Jevon Holland is one of the best studs on your team...you need more talent. He's more of a solid player on a Super Bowl caliber team.

I think a lot of fans in here don't realize how talented the elite teams in the NFL really

Our D could, indeed, be just as good. In spite of all the fanfare and high expectations, Fangio's vaunted scheme/philosophy was horseshit. He was stubborn and inflexible to the point that game planning specific opponents was seemingly non-existent. I didn't like it from the start and glad to see him gone.

Also agree about the Oline and counting in a rook draftee is a very risky proposition.

Unfortunately, not sure if there are a lot of options here. I doubt we bring in any "stud" linemen at this point.
i should have added to OP, hopefully the new DC counts as an upgrade!

At this point I’m happy with serviceable starters on the line. It’s the same sht every year. The Oline is always the last priority and the biggest weakness year in year out
yes i am a bit surprised here. this would have been my first priority, i can't think of anything more important for this offense. it is ridiculous to expect tua to get the ball out of his hands in 2 seconds on every throw. this becomes especially problematic against better teams that take away the first read. to this end, i am a bit concerned about the brewer signing. very good in the run, but not against the pass. also we added one more small, fast player. don't want this to become the identity of the whole offense. i think you need to be nasty in the trenches, especially come playoff time, and if you want to win in the cold, on the road. having said all of that, the team has to know this, and they still signed brewer. so hopefully there is a plan here and they have some idea that he might be a better pass blocker in our system than theirs, or something of that ilk.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic about how FA has went so far. I love that they focused on LB as it was desperately needed, you shouldn't have DT's making 90 tackles a season, that's a massive failing on your LB's part.

I also like how they have handled the cap this season, it's exactly what I expected. Some hard decisions to be made but sign some cheaper vets that can still offer something while still giving yourself a bit of flexibility to get out of some of the expensive contracts if needed. If the core of the team stays and is successful then this may be the model going forward, signing some short term vets that can offer you a year or 2 of good play while having the core of younger guys stick together.

I'm still concerned about the holes at G and WR, very concerned about G. Hoping that some decent vet ones are cap casualties but I was hoping they would focus on the position but yet again they seem to have ignored it so far. I get that the contracts have been on the high side but I would still have liked to see some sort of effort to improve the position. Last season the offence fell to bits when it lost the interior of the line, you can't let that happen 2 years in a row.

Dline-worse
Edge-worse due to Chubb and Phillips injuries
LB- better
CB-the same or better
S-worse, only 2 quality safeties instead of 2

Holland not worth 16 million plus a year. Thats just not where I would spend that cap money.
Will be interesting to see what they do with him.

I like Holland and think he still has some upside, but I agree with you on the compensation. There were a LOT of safeties in Free Agency and some great value there.

I might feel different if he goes off this year so we shall see

Agree re: Fangio.

It makes me laugh that they canned one of his disciples last season. Yet, they think that Vic will change his spots w/ more favorable geography.

Good luck to philthadelphia in working w/ him ... not.

i should have added to OP, hopefully the new DC counts as an upgrade!

Does it?

I don't think so...not until we see what he's got.

For a 1-season investment Vic Fangio held the unit together last year and the defense was the more reliable side towards the end considering the injuries. The performance of the defense is what gave the team a shot at making the Playoffs on their terms as well as a shot to prove the offense was truly something special...

...and neither happened.

McDaniel and Tua couldn't pull the offense together when it mattered. If the defense wasn't good then where was this franchise HC-QB duo to pick things up? When asked to score a measly 21 against Buffalo at home with everything on the line they couldn't do it. Not to pile on but Tua threw 4 INTs in the final 2 games and ended the season with his worst 2 passer ratings of the season. I'm not a fan of citing single-game passer ratings but for a guy trying to prove he's clutch, that ain't it.

And if the answer to that is, 'well, Connor Williams got hurt,' congrats because we don't have him now and he may never be back. Neither is Isaiah Wynn re-signed. And Hunt is flat-out gone. Bro, we're definitely worse on the OL until things change. And we hardly have a defense we can immediately go and lean on. I definitely don't think I'm going to be evaluating our new DC right out of the gate.

I honestly don't get the Fangio hate. You can't hire a guy and expect a 1-year turnaround.

Cam Smith didn't start at all. He played 20 snaps all season and sat out 13 games from a CB perspective (he did play ST). If he played a bit and looked good I'd believe in the narrative of a stubborn DC more but to me it feels like Cam Smith couldn't learn his responsibilities or beat out middling vets in practice. I mean, give me a break here--what exactly was Eli Apple doing so well that Fangio loved so much that it kept Cam Smith on the bench all season?

It's not like a budding young star wouldn't have been a great addition with all the injuries at CB. The simplest answer is that Cam Smith never got himself fully ready to take the field. Blaming one of the NFLs most experienced and respected DCs only to defend a draft prospect's honor who we've really never seen isn't something I'm willing to do.

I think we're going to feel the Christian Wilkins loss a lot in the run defense, too. He crushed it on the interior and while he wasn't a great rusher he was money against RBs. We're significantly more vulnerable up the middle now. That's going to hurt in little ways...more long drives, less time-of-possession, more snaps on defense, more interruptions for the offense.

We're entering a new phase. To expect that we should all feel good right now is the worst kind of impatience. You're not going to re-sign Tua to a long-term deal, let huge portions of your snap-count walk away in FA and think, 'oh yeah, we've got to compete right away.'

You ain't gonna do it. Everything we've seen so far signals we're re-setting.

I think any hope for success in 2024 is going to lay with McDaniel & Tua somehow becoming world-beaters. I'm not saying it can't happen but I also don't expect the pair, who've been at it 2 years now with a great supporting cast, to suddenly start doing stuff that haven't done. But hey, I'm not anti-McDaniel or anti-Tua. Whether we ascend rests with them though. Can we diversify the offense and can Tua continue to ascend himself?

We shall see.

Last edited:
I m actually ok with how this off season has unfolded. I knew we couldn't afford our own free agents nor would I have paid them the contracts that they received. I'm past that.

Last edited:
Give me some younger players that are cheaper moving forward. Will we be worse then last year? No one knows! The Bills..Jets..and Patriots could be worse.. only thing I know is no one ever really knows how the next season will play out.

Last edited:
If you post that you do know better or worse. Its just opinions.. welcome to FinHeaven forums bro! 😉

Back
Top Bottom