Better or Worse? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse?

I'm not so sure better/worse' are the words I'd use. Let's take OL and DL. I'd call those 'questionable.' so many changes. Starting 5 unknown. Not one player except, maybe, AJ who DOESN'T have questions. Yes, I know about Armstead, but I suspect most here wouldn't bet much he plays 10 or more games. DL? Lost wilkins, but the new scheme may emphasize rotation. How will that affect the D? To date, unknown.
who are the WRs by playing time? TH, waddle, and unknown.
The return of Chubb and JP is unknown and the time it takes to get back to form is unknown.
Safety group is unknown.
CB? Ramsey, KK, Needham are the known (kinda) quantities, and I'm unsure of Needham.
And a new DC. How long will it take the D to get comfortable in the scheme and the new faces to get to the point they're playing on automatic?
Top all that off with OC. Did Mcd REALLY learn anything over the off-season or will he make the same Football 101 mistakes.
But, I'm a Dolphin fan. Based only on natural talent, on balance, I'd say 'better' for the roster. I expect a better O *AND* D, but those questions loom large

The loss of Wilkins and Hunt and Williams has definitely reduced the effectiveness of those positions, IMO.

Right now I think the team doesn’t appear as talented overall as the 2023 team because of these huge losses but hopefully the players they drafted and signed in free agency will be able to come in and play at a high level.

My biggest concern remains the offensive line but replacing a high caliber player like Wilkins isn’t going to be easy with the players they now have on the defensive line. To me they have Sieler and a number of players at DT who were backups or players their previous teams had no interest in resigning.

Agreed with the O line

The big concern is injuries of course. When healthy we know Jackson/Wynn and Armstead are solid to really good.
Eichenberg- Again, depends on how you speak with. He's either really good or the Anti Christ
Brewer- 11th overall C. Great run blocking, horrible pass blocking. Coyld be a fantastic fit for the scheme. Juries put.

Well see.
I don’t agree at all. The truth is that only Armstead is real good. Jackson is not even average. Not top 30 OT and Wynn is way below average although he doesn’t suck like Eich. Brewer will be at least average for sure an he will be a big improvement over whomever we have left after Williams injury.

Well let's break this down by position.

QB: Equal, no significant change
WR: Improved, hard to believe but I think this group is better
RB: Improved, youth was improved
TE: Improved, Smith is an upgrade on paper, nothing else is changed

OL: Incomplete, this is tricky because you need rookies and Free Agents to step up, I wanted to say equal but it is "unknown" so graded accordingly.

So with the O, improved on paper....,

The D is..........well, tricky...... I need some time to think on this. I want to lean toward improved to be honest I can also say incomplete.

Edge/OLB, as with the OL it will depend on a few younger guys, Chop and Phillips and Chubb's recovery from injury so = incomplete
CB is equal, I was in the camp that Howard needed to be gone two years ago or moved to slot. His lack of suiters tells you all you need to know.
SS = this probably equal also and it depends on the system that is installed.
LB = improved, Long and Brooks will be just fine in the middle.
DL = here it is, the elephant in the room, is Wilkins departure gonna be huge or is the money ball approach gonna look genius. IDK = incomplete.

If the line play improves or is equal on both sides of the ball, the team is improved. If the line play is worse on both sides, the team is going to be worse. Line play will be the key to the improved or worse aspect of this entire team, trenches for the win.
Isn't CB much improved? Healthy Ramsey, Fuller is a MASSIVE upgrade over Howard's last few performances. Fuller Ramsey Poyer Holland is gona be legit I think

The question marks remain OT, OG, DT, DE and WR.

1) OT/OG: while Miami addressed the OT position with the drafting of Patrick Paul. Questions still remain. A) Health and B) Paul's learning curve. At OG, A) Health seems to be a recurring theme. Will Wynn stay healthy enough for a full season. B) Who are the backups? Are they good enough? Is Ryan Hayes the wildcard in all of this? Can he become the jack of all trades? Is he talented enough to take the bull by the horns and win a starting job. What about Jack Driscoll?

2) DT: Miami brought in 8 F/A to try and fill the void left by Wilkins departure. Are they capable of at least stopping the run? Does anyone rise to the top?

3) DE: Where are the 6'5" - 6'6", 280lb 3/4 types? The Zack Seiler type players?

4) WR: Where are the WR's who can block outside of Cracraft and EZ? Waddle, Hill and both Washington's are smurfs. It was presumed Miami was looking for A WR #3 with some height and blocking ability. Was there a change in philosophy?

If these questions aren't answered in a positive manner. There's a strong possibility Miami regresses overall in 2024.

If Rodgers remains healthy and plays at 80% the level he used to then the Jets will be our competition for AFC East.

Don't know, in the last game between the Dolphins and the Packers, Tua was looking better then Rodgers who was pretty healthy.

It's very possible the early young Rodgers could appear again with the Jets, but age is unbeaten, eventually it catches up to you, and considering Rodgers is coming back from a very bad injury, the odds he outplays Tua might not be as high as many think.

I'm not so sure better/worse' are the words I'd use. Let's take OL and DL. I'd call those 'questionable.' so many changes. Starting 5 unknown. Not one player except, maybe, AJ who DOESN'T have questions. Yes, I know about Armstead, but I suspect most here wouldn't bet much he plays 10 or more games. DL? Lost wilkins, but the new scheme may emphasize rotation. How will that affect the D? To date, unknown.
who are the WRs by playing time? TH, waddle, and unknown.
The return of Chubb and JP is unknown and the time it takes to get back to form is unknown.
Safety group is unknown.
CB? Ramsey, KK, Needham are the known (kinda) quantities, and I'm unsure of Needham.
And a new DC. How long will it take the D to get comfortable in the scheme and the new faces to get to the point they're playing on automatic?
Top all that off with OC. Did Mcd REALLY learn anything over the off-season or will he make the same Football 101 mistakes.
But, I'm a Dolphin fan. Based only on natural talent, on balance, I'd say 'better' for the roster. I expect a better O *AND* D, but those questions loom large
Your last point on McDaniel might be the key. Can he adjust faster when teams figure out what he is doing? Is there more talent on the roster to diversify at least a little bit?

After all the talk here about adding physicality to the team, was enough done in that regard? As an example, I'm not doubting the talent of both Washington's drafted at wide receiver, but we all talked about adding a bigger target.

To some degree same argument with Wright. Again, not questioning his talent or fit.

Last edited:
The question marks remain OT, OG, DT, DE and WR.

1) OT/OG: while Miami addressed the OT position with the drafting of Patrick Paul. Questions still remain. A) Health and B) Paul's learning curve. At OG, A) Health seems to be a recurring theme. Will Wynn stay healthy enough for a full season. B) Who are the backups? Are they good enough? Is Ryan Hayes the wildcard in all of this? Can he become the jack of all trades? Is he talented enough to take the bull by the horns and win a starting job. What about Jack Driscoll?

2) DT: Miami brought in 8 F/A to try and fill the void left by Wilkins departure. Are they capable of at least stopping the run? Does anyone rise to the top?

3) DE: Where are the 6'5" - 6'6", 280lb 3/4 types? The Zack Seiler type players?

4) WR: Where are the WR's who can block outside of Cracraft and EZ? Waddle, Hill and both Washington's are smurfs. It was presumed Miami was looking for A WR #3 with some height and blocking ability. Was there a change in philosophy?

If these questions aren't answered in a positive manner. There's a strong possibility Miami regresses overall in 2024.
Agree. I know we talked about Hayes. He could fit at guard and add a little more athleticism there.

Jones, from Ohio State, looks strong but he doesn't move well. Kind of the same with Robert Jones.

The thing is, I think Buffalo could also regress some based on talent loss.

As always, there could be positive surprises that really help Miami. Who emerges etc.

If Phillips and Chubb come back fit, healthy and hit the ground running with their form from last season then the D won't drop off. If they don't come back until Oct or Nov then the D might struggle.
Offense. Its that O-Line for me. Is Paul ready to slot in if Armstead goes down? Not sure. Still too many average players or injuries on that unit. WR is fine especially with the Rookies added. TE is ok and RB position is solidified even more now with Jaylen Wright added.

Isn't CB much improved? Healthy Ramsey, Fuller is a MASSIVE upgrade over Howard's last few performances. Fuller Ramsey Poyer Holland is gona be legit I think
Maybe. I know PFF is a hot topic in itself lol but if you look at Elliot's numbers and Poyer's numbes they are similar.

Fuller is a huge upgrade over Howard so on paper I guess yes the unit is improved at the CB position.

Back
Top Bottom