Better run that football Norv! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better run that football Norv!

DolphinStrike

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Indy is giving up an eye opening 131 yards a game rushing. Norv? Norv, do you see that? 131 yards. I don't want to see Griese put in a situation like Fiedler was last year in KC. Run the football and push that small Colt Dline around. Ricky, needs to just pound on these guys and they'll be out of gas early in the second half. Pound that into Ricky's head (and the Oline) all week so he does it. Make it easy for Ricky and Minor to run thru gaping holes in the 3rd and 4th quarters. The Dolphins can and should control this game on the line of scrimmage. Do that and Miami's secondary should be able to contain the receivers of the Colts. Knight's presence should keep the Colts from trying deep post routes.

I'll say Dolphins 24 Colts 17. :booyeah:

A big game for playoff seedings.

Better pass that ball on 1st down, Norv!

Norv will. He doesn't want to see his new QB look bad. He's working extra hard to please us, now that he can actually use Griese. I'm really wondering about that toe now. if these guys weren't so emotionally fragile we could probably put them both to good use. those toe problems really get worse when you have to run. with this O-line, he is going to have to run at some point. anyway, Norv wants Griese to do well so much, i can taste him tasting it.

as for our D, unless something wacky goes on and they collapse, i'd be surprised if the horse-pupies get more than 1 or 2 big plays.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Agreed. Especially when we start a new series.

Looking at the 1st down runs from Monday's game vs San Diego, the ONLY time it was effective is if we just completed 1 or 2 long passes, and the defense was rattled.

http://nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20031027_MIA@SD

But If we started a new series (after punt, kickoff, or turnover) with a 1st down run, it went nowhere.

1-6-SD6 (13:43) R.Williams right tackle to SD 6 for no gain (M. Wiley).

1-10-SD24 (10:25) R.Williams right tackle to SD 24 for no gain (K. Lassiter).

1-10-MIA35 (3:03) R.Williams left end to MIA 30 for -5 yards (B. Leber).

1-10-MIA20 (4:59) R.Williams up the middle to MIA 18 for -2 yards (J. Williams).

1-10-MIA15 (7:47) R.Williams right tackle to MIA 16 for 1 yard (Z. Moreno).

1-10-SD44 (7:59) R.Williams up the middle to SD 45 for -1 yards (M. Wiley).

1-10-MIA8 (1:53) R.Williams left tackle to MIA 12 for 4 yards (D. Edwards). note: game was over at this point; SD didn't care

We no longer have the great run blocking like we did last year. So the only way to spring Ricky free is to have a deadly passing attack, so Ricky doesn't have to run into 8 man fronts every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DolphinStrike
Indy is giving up an eye opening 131 yards a game rushing. Norv? Norv, do you see that? 131 yards. I don't want to see Griese put in a situation like Fiedler was last year in KC. Run the football and push that small Colt Dline around. Ricky, needs to just pound on these guys and they'll be out of gas early in the second half. Pound that into Ricky's head (and the Oline) all week so he does it. Make it easy for Ricky and Minor to run thru gaping holes in the 3rd and 4th quarters. The Dolphins can and should control this game on the line of scrimmage. Do that and Miami's secondary should be able to contain the receivers of the Colts. Knight's presence should keep the Colts from trying deep post routes.

I'll say Dolphins 24 Colts 17. :booyeah:

A big game for playoff seedings.

Chargers were giving up 135 before last night too. But they stacked the box and our O line sucks. On the only play that the created a running lane they let a linebacker through to cause a fumble. I would worry more about us getting any yards. On several plays Ricky ran 2 yards past the line and still got negative yardage WTF. How do we suck so bad. Someone needs to step up and start earning his check.

"Chargers were giving up 135 before last night too. But they stacked the box and our O line sucks. On the only play that the created a running lane they let a linebacker through to cause a fumble. I would worry more about us getting any yards. On several plays Ricky ran 2 yards past the line and still got negative yardage WTF. How do we suck so bad. Someone needs to step up and start earning his check."

I put most of that on Ricky. He's waiting too long to pick a hole or just push the pile forward. As a result the Oline is losing their aggressiveness waiting for Ricky to make a move. Reduce the number of options Williams has in his runs and they team will do better. I still see Nails leading on counters yet he walks with a limp. Hmm, that doesn't seem like that's the best way to use him. McKinney is a better choice this week at C because he's stronger and can do a better job at drive blocking.

Colt pass rush isn't much of a concern. However the Dolphins defending stunts is. Griese is a fragile guy and they have to do a better job picking up stunting Dlinemen.

"Better pass that ball on 1st down, Norv!"

Norv did a good job on Griese's first game. The guy hadn't played in a year and the play calling suited that. He'll throw more on first down this week. And that'll help Ricky too I hope.

Manning doesn't get sacked so I'd expect the Dolphin D to give up yards this weekend. Maybe even 21 instead of 17 if the Colts do better rushing than I expect.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Personally, I would love to see the Phins come out in a 5 WR set on 1st down of their first possession and take a big shot down field. Chambers, Thompson, McKnight, Simmons, and Tolver all on the field ready to light it up.

Indy would probably have to burn a timeout right there to get 7 DBs in the game, and the Colts Defensive Coordinator would be crapping his pants considering that his entire gameplan that he formulated to play against the Phins just took a plunge down the toilet on the Phins first possession of the game.

:eek: :toliet: :jawdrop:

Back
Top Bottom