Big Fish: The Miami Dolphins Are the NFL’s Offseason Champions (and That’s Dangerous) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Fish: The Miami Dolphins Are the NFL’s Offseason Champions (and That’s Dangerous)

Hilarious. We're offseason champions because we brought in some talented offensive players who for the most part replace the talented offensive players we already had (kind of like we did at linebacker TWICE). Yes, Suh is a huge signing. But we haven't gotten any better on a weak OL, we've done nothing but subtract at LB and yet are somehow going to field a talented corps when the guys we've got now weren't good enough to help a bad unit last year, and we have not a single established corner besides Grimes in a league where 3 on the field is standard and 4 happens a lot.

To me, this is a usual Dolphins smoke and mirrors offseason. We brought in some real talent in some areas, and that completely distracts people from seeing that we have literally nothing but second and third stringers at others. How well has that worked out when we do that every year on the offensive line? We try a half dozen subpar players for one person, and surprise surprise in that 6 bad players don't net you one good one.

Hilarious. We're offseason champions because we brought in some talented offensive players who for the most part replace the talented offensive players we already had (kind of like we did at linebacker TWICE). Yes, Suh is a huge signing. But we haven't gotten any better on a weak OL, we've done nothing but subtract at LB and yet are somehow going to field a talented corps when the guys we've got now weren't good enough to help a bad unit last year, and we have not a single established corner besides Grimes in a league where 3 on the field is standard and 4 happens a lot.

To me, this is a usual Dolphins smoke and mirrors offseason. We brought in some real talent in some areas, and that completely distracts people from seeing that we have literally nothing but second and third stringers at others. How well has that worked out when we do that every year on the offensive line? We try a half dozen subpar players for one person, and surprise surprise in that 6 bad players don't net you one good one.
What was our major weakness and the reason we missed the playoffs last year is now a top-5 NFL unit, we got rid of every ugly contracts and exchanged them for Suh, Cameron and Stills.... In other terms.... HOF, PBowler, 22YO productive NFL WR on rookie contract... I mean... Yes, some weakness remain, But to say we didnt improve in the grand scheme of things this offseason.... Well... I disagree...

What was our major weakness and the reason we missed the playoffs last year is now a top-5 NFL unit, we got rid of every ugly contracts and exchanged them for Suh, Cameron and Stills.... In other terms.... HOF, PBowler, 22YO productive NFL WR on rookie contract... I mean... Yes, some weakness remain, But to say we didnt improve in the grand scheme of things this offseason.... Well... I disagree...

I'm not getting something...what was the unit that was so bad that we suddenly became a top 5 unit at? If you are thinking of the d-line, the d-line was probably a weakness on this defense, only surpassed by league worst LB play that is now going to highlight those guys backups. The two real weaknesses in talent were LB and OL, and those have somehow gotten worse because we simply have brought in nobody worthwhile. But even with good LB play, OL play, and secondary play, we're still stuck with a QB and coach that can manage a solid 3.5 quarters of football and have a remarkable tendency to find a way to lose in any way possible at the end.

You lock down your franchise players then you build and continue to draft. You get 4-5 years out of then cheaply. They're interchangeable as long as you continue to draft well. Qb is priority 1, though

I'm not getting something...what was the unit that was so bad that we suddenly became a top 5 unit at? If you are thinking of the d-line, the d-line was probably a weakness on this defense, only surpassed by league worst LB play that is now going to highlight those guys backups. The two real weaknesses in talent were LB and OL, and those have somehow gotten worse because we simply have brought in nobody worthwhile. But even with good LB play, OL play, and secondary play, we're still stuck with a QB and coach that can manage a solid 3.5 quarters of football and have a remarkable tendency to find a way to lose in any way possible at the end.
Was actually going to form a counter argument until I read this... Now I just know where its headed and we`lll just have to agree to disagree...

we're still stuck with a QB... that can manage a solid 3.5 quarters of football and have a remarkable tendency to find a way to lose in any way possible at the end.

Please expound. This should be good. :chuckle:

We couldn't stop the run after Solia left. Should have kept Solia and let Starks walk. I'm glad the also drafted a dt

There's been this NFL Draft thing since this article was written. Not a biggie, but it really does have an effect on everyone's rosters. So when discussing off season rosters maybe it would be good to have an article that includes the draft...

Please expound. This should be good. :chuckle:

Statistical fact: Under Tannehill/Philbin hen the Dolphins have less than a TD lead with 4 minutes to go and have the ball, they lose the game more than 1/2 the time. Don't believe me? Remember games versus the Packers, Lions, Bills, Cardinals, Jets, etc. Tannehill and Philbin have almost never been able to put together that one drive to net a first down that seals a game with under 4 minutes.

Statistical fact: Under Tannehill/Philbin hen the Dolphins have less than a TD lead with 4 minutes to go and have the ball, they lose the game more than 1/2 the time. Don't believe me? Remember games versus the Packers, Lions, Bills, Cardinals, Jets, etc. Tannehill and Philbin have almost never been able to put together that one drive to net a first down that seals a game with under 4 minutes.

that's an issue that needs credit from the defense as well.

yes, we should expect our offense to score a touchdown and end the game by making it a two possession lead.....but based on how often touchdowns are scored per drive in a football game, isn't it a much more reasonable request that our defense not give up the lead that tannehill and the offense had earned in most cases? and tannehill did everything within his power to win that lions game....except catch the ball that he threw to clay which he dropped...

i mean it's just a little bit of a stretch to blame tannehill for not cementing a game in which he's already created a lead in, instead of allowing the defense to take credit for actually giving up the lead in the final drive of the game....JMO

This past FA period, was nothing like past Dolphins FA moves. I'm not sure what team you have been watching.

that's an issue that needs credit from the defense as well.

yes, we should expect our offense to score a touchdown and end the game by making it a two possession lead.....but based on how often touchdowns are scored per drive in a football game, isn't it a much more reasonable request that our defense not give up the lead that tannehill and the offense had earned in most cases? and tannehill did everything within his power to win that lions game....except catch the ball that he threw to clay which he dropped...

i mean it's just a little bit of a stretch to blame tannehill for not cementing a game in which he's already created a lead in, instead of allowing the defense to take credit for actually giving up the lead in the final drive of the game....JMO

A TD is not needed. A first down is. And if you want to bring percentages into it, I can blame a coach and a QB who have seen 65-75 percent of its offensive passes completed in one game for not finding a way to complete the one that will actually seal the deal.

Giving a QB a massive amount of credit for creating a lead and saying its not his fault if its blown just shows me that you are out of touch and seeing things with rose colored glasses. I'm sorry, but real QB play in this league is defined by the guys who regardless of what has happened in the first 55 minutes of a game know how to take an opportunity to win the game and do it. If you give Brady the ball at the end of a game with a chance to win, 9 out of ten times he will do it. That's why when guys like Michael Thomas pick him off to end a game, it's a big deal. How many times in Peyton Manning's career has he struggled a bit, then come back and absolutely found a way to win the game?

The point of games isn't to have a lead for most of it, it's to win them. Tannehill and Philbin will get a special trophy for the amount of games they have had leads in against good opponents. I never felt more proud as a Dolphin fan than when we held second half leads against the Broncos, Lions, and Packers. Unfortunately, I'd be a little bit more proud if we had actually won. The Dolphins rarely win ugly, but they are the best in the league at losing pretty, which is all Philbin and Tannehill have shown an aptitude for and why I won't believe it will change after 3 years until we have actually sealed a playoff berth.

I don't think the defense is off the hook, but boy when I think of how greats like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Brady always find a way to win the game, I'm never thinking of their mystical ability to fail to get a first down at the end of the game and watch their defense seal it for them, I think of how these guys know a win is there for the taking, they find a way to get that win themselves without relying on their defense.

Best tight end duo.in the league? I know we improved but come.on really with that **** lol brings the rest of the.articles praises down

Best tight end duo.in the league? I know we improved but come.on really with that **** lol brings the rest of the.articles praises down

This is old... It's probably pre-Clay to Buffalo.

Back
Top Bottom