Big Myth | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Myth

You DA man Dolfan984!

I figured the Bills secondary was a bit overrated. I didn't think they were THAT overrated though.

If you're really gonna get into statistical analysis, Dolfan984, there is a lot more that goes into pass defense than the secondary, and interceptions. To fully evaluate the Bills' secondary you would have to look at QBs completion percentages against the Bills, passes defensed by the secondary vs. completions made. Then there is the effect of a defensive line, which I would submit was the real weakness of the Bills defense last season. If a defense can't consistently pressure the QB, without using constant blitzing, the QBs are always going to be more accurate, will throw into coverage less frequently, etc. In addition to not defending against the run very effectively, the Bills' line had a hard time pressuring the QB. Aaron Schobel had something like 6 sacks as a rookie, but as a team the Bills were well down in the standings at getting sacks of the opposing QB. Defensive line pressure will always make a secondary look better. The lack thereof will make a secondary look worse than it is.

Miami was #7 in the league with teams having a 56.1% completion percentage against them.

Buffalo was #29 in the league with teams having a 62.7% completion percentage against them.

Miami was #19 in the league in sacks with 37 sacks.

Buffalo was #21 in the league in sacks with 34 sacks.

I cannot find the stats for Passes defensed.

Interesting, Dolfan984. I would have thought Miami ranked higher in sacks of opposing QBs. Looks like line pressure may have been less of a factor than I thought. My fallback is that Ken Irvin was still with the Bills last season. LOL

Well parothead it would be meaningless to reattack your point since you helped me prove mine. The whole point to me starting this thread was because Prisco has made it a point 2 times this off season to say that Buffalo's pass d is very good and ranked 11 against the pass, i just wanted to show that ranking may have been undserved. Furthermore I wanted to show that the lack of pass attempts were not beacuse of fear of their corners, witch i beleave i did and you pounded it home even more. The bottom line is when Buffalo's pass D was tested they failed, when their run d was tested they failed, it just so happend that their run d was tested alot more. I mean you can't boast about a pass d that let Jay Feidler look like a probowl QB, the only other team that allowed him to look so good was the Colts and we all know how bad their d is.

Originally posted by TigerJ
Interesting, Dolfan984. I would have thought Miami ranked higher in sacks of opposing QBs. Looks like line pressure may have been less of a factor than I thought. My fallback is that Ken Irvin was still with the Bills last season. LOL

Over the last couple of years the line has lost valuable sack people in Armstrong/Owens and last year became the first year where we were not putting the pressure out on teams. It's going to be even worse this year with Bromell gone.

What nobody seems to have mentioned yet, about Buffalo's pass defense, is that they had some of the worst Safeties in the NFL last season. They have some decent corners that look like they are going to get a lot better, but the middle of the field was wide open last year.

No run defense, no pass rush, and no deep coverage wont help a team's corners very much at all.

Take Brock, Walker, and Freeman away from us last year and I know for a fact that our pass D suffers.

We had a ton of sacks in 2000, Armstrong and Taylor combined for around 30 by themselves. The sacks fell off a bit because Bromell sucks and can't do **** besides get penalized, so Taylor would be double teamed on each play, making it harder to get open. This year he will be opened up with two strong DTs and with Gardener on the other side.

Ice,
Bromell, along with Taylor, was the only guy to ever get a sniff of the QB last year. He had a few penalties but how many of them were legit? He is a head hunter with a lot of ability and attitude and will be missed off our line.

I wouldn't be suprised if he has a breakout year this season and goes off for 10+ sacks.

David Bowens made a lot of noise in the pocket too.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Ice,
Bromell, along with Taylor, was the only guy to ever get a sniff of the QB last year. He had a few penalties but how many of them were legit? He is a head hunter with a lot of ability and attitude and will be missed off our line.

I wouldn't be suprised if he has a breakout year this season and goes off for 10+ sacks.

And then Ice will be back here bitching about how we let him go lol

Me too. We should have a championship by then. I'm glad it will be because of his contract and not his performance.

Back
Top Bottom