Biggest need on Dolphins OL? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest need on Dolphins OL?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Many have said that Miami's biggest need to fix the OL is at OG. Hard to dispute with the dismal play we got last year from Dallas and Turner. While that position has te be upgraded, I have a bit of a different view.

I believe the biggest need is health. albert was not himself for around half the season, and James was injured for half the season. Add in Pouncey being out for 2 games, and you have as much of a problem, if not more than the OG play. There is no way in hell that Tannehill would have been sacked 45 times last year with these 3 being healthy for the year. Yet, many just want to focus on our OG's.

IMO, we need one good OG and a good backup at OT, that's it. Turner or Douglas "should be better to man the other OG spot, and we will be fine IF HEALTHY.

Round 1-7 select O-lineman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest need on Dolphins OL is to call an Uber, hand their wallet to the driver, and say, "Take Dallas Thomas as far away as you can."

It doesn't matter cuz we're blowing all our cap space on Vernon (exaggeration for effect). We need to spend our FA $$$ on offensive line and use the draft for defense.

I pray someone offers us a deal for Vernon cuz I don't like guys that cheapshot guys every single game. $12.7 mil transition tag? I hope this doesn't bite us in the butt. Miller is the guy we need.

If Miller gets over priced, get Chris Johnson much cheaper. Ajayi & CJ is a good combo, no?

Not only do we need guards, but we need to be on the lookout for a good LT. Albert is far too injury prone and can't be counted on. We'll be lucky if he is able to play 8 games.

IMO our OL is already better by default. A coach that can play to his players strengths, understand personnel and put them in a position to succeed will make everyone look much better. If Gase can deliver that, and I have no doubts he will at least improve on Philbin's cluelessness in the respect, we will be looking a lot more competent.

There is a need for 3 new pieces on the OL this offseason. You have Albert, Pouncey, James, Turner and Douglas locked in.

You need to lockdown a starting quality guard. It doesn't need to be a long-term guy, it just needs to be a guy who at least gives you short-term comfort. Evan Mathis is the guy I want for that role. But there's some depth. It depends on our system, but with our personnel we will run some degree of a ZB scheme. We need to get more physical on the interior to compete in our division, but we also need a guy who can anchor and protect. With the scheme we likely run, it eliminates Ramon Foster. To me it eliminates Alex Boone who will struggle working at the second level. Osemele appears to be pricing himself out unfortunately. Jeff Allen...he's obviously better than a guy like Geoff Schwartz, but comes with the same injury baggage that would make me not want to invest heavily in him. That pretty much brings my list down to Evan Mathis and Brandon Brooks. Alex Boone would be on the periphery. Personally if we can't land Brooks or Mathis, I'm probably adding a guy like Geoff Schwartz and making guard a higher priority in the draft. Top of round 2 has some plug and play starters. I'd rather go defense there, but the guy has to be valuable in our scheme. Just give Mathis a 2/15M deal or Brooks a 4/26M deal. If Brooks gets locked up before FA, I'm still trying to get Osemele if I can. But lets say ideal scenario we get Mathis on a short-term pact. Then we draft another guard in rounds 3 or 4 who is nasty and has some movement skills that we can groom behind Mathis.

You need to pay premium for a swing-tackle or draft a LT of the future. Albert's health is too much in question. I think Jermon Bushrod makes the most sense for us. He won't be signed before the draft after shoulder surgery. He has experience at LT and RT. He has played under Gase in Chicago. He'll be available on a short-term sub $2.5M type deal. I enter the draft without a swing-tackle, see what is available at each pick and if the value isn't there I go out and sign him after the draft.

Guard and LB are needs 1a and 1b on this team.

I'm hoping that we can sign a quality guard in FA and our starting LB corps next year will look like Jenkins - Jack - Irvin/Perry/ Whitehead.

.O.....O....O....O....O
Albert.....????.....Pouncy....??......James

We need guards from FA, especially one that can play on the left side...in the draft, we need a backup LT, it seems Albert playing an entire season is too much to hope for. :(

Back
Top Bottom